Ugh, some people....

Options
GAB219
GAB219 Posts: 27 Member
Today is the first day of a 9 week weight loss competition at work. I am part of a 4 person team and we had our initial weigh in today. As a coincidence I'm on my 9th week on MPF and I've lost about 7 lbs (my ticker is off). I've been losing just over 1/2 a week, consistently...and I'm very happy with that. I told my team mates that my goal is about 7 lbs during the course of the competition and if I lose more, then great. Well, the male in our team was a bit shock because he said we should be aiming for about 2-3 lbs a week and that's low balling it. The other female in our team and I have been "dieting" and exercising for a while and she was saying that it's probably time to switch her routine since she's hasn't seen progress lately. And this guy made a comment along the lines of maybe it's not working because she's really not putting an effort in her exercise and pushing herself. This is coming from a guys who doesn't even exercise and he said he won't be during the competition because he will be focusing on the diet. I told them I'm going to keep doing what has been working for me and that 2-3 lbs a week is not attainable for some of us but he didn’t want to hear it. I know he'll probably lose more lbs that any of us but it's just frustrating that he tries to push he's opinions on us and most of them are over the top.

Btw, I told him that I have been tracking my calorie intake and that I have a food scale at home and a HRM, he said that's a bit extreme. Ugh, some people! Thanks for letting me rant!

Replies

• Live4theLift
    Live4theLift Posts: 329
    Options
    That's the beauty of it, your change will most likely result in a lifestyle change and you will be better in the long run. His he may lose a lot but he will most likely go right back into his old habits and have to repeat the diet in the future.
  • TimeForMe99
    TimeForMe99 Posts: 309
    Options
    Unfortunately, this is what happens when weight loss becomes a competitive sport. You will be healthier in the long run and more successful at maintenance while your co-worker will quickly regain the weight he's lost.

There's also a world of difference between a woman who wants to lose 20 lbs and a man who has 50 or more to lose. Ignore him and do what you know is right.
  • peopletalk
    peopletalk Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    unfortunately some people don't understand. that's why it's best sometimes to keep it to yourself.

i told a few guy friends i lost 10 lbs in 2 months, and they looked at me like "thats it?"
    for guys it's a little bit of a faster transformation, whereas us women have to do it exactly right for our bodies and it'll still take a bit more time.
  • jogglesngoggles
    jogglesngoggles Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    what a douche! he probably will lose the most weight, well because that's what happens when guys stop eating anything...but you are healthier and doing it the right way, so enjoy your journey, and who knows, maybe you'll motivate him to do it the right way someday! Best of luck!
  • dfurton83
    dfurton83 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, this is what happens when weight loss becomes a competitive sport. You will be healthier in the long run and more successful at maintenance while your co-worker will quickly regain the weight he's lost.

There's also a world of difference between a woman who wants to lose 20 lbs and a man who has 50 or more to lose. Ignore him and do what you know is right.

I think this is excellent advice. On my path to a healthier lifestyle I have run into a lot of people who want to knock me down. My sisters for instance make fun of me when I indulge in a bigger piece of cake or a second glass of wine, they joke around about how I will have to spend extra time at the gym. Sometimes the gym feels like the place to be, mostly everyone there is there to improve themselves (with the exception of the old dudes that sit in the pool area all day and gawk at the women lol).
  • Jchambers1130
    Jchambers1130 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Actually he may be right to not exercise while trying to win this "competition" if you are going by % of weight lost you really wouldn't want to put muscle on. I am not saying it's the correct way to go, but would win.

As long as you all lose weight and feel better about yourself more power to you.
  • TheNewLorrain
    TheNewLorrain Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Keep on doing what you are doing and forget this loser ( no pun intended) Do not let him get inside your head like that. I agree it is annoying he has no right to tell you or anyone where you work that a 2 lb loss is what is needed does he have a clue..obviously not.....2 lbs is alot even for someone who is diligent. Tell him this is not The Biggest Loser.
  • GAB219
    GAB219 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! Guess my main frustration is that we're supposed to be a team and work/help/motivate each other but some people just don't want to hear it. I do hope we do lose the weight and keep it off.