Ladies who had babies in your late 30s!!

Options
downinaggieland98
downinaggieland98 Posts: 224 Member
Hey everyone! I want to know how many of you moms had babies after 35 and how the pregnancy went. With all the medical advancements, is having a baby after 35 even a big deal anymore? I'd love to hear from you!

Replies

• Keiras_Mom
    Keiras_Mom Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I was 32 and had some complications, but I was also obese, so I think that affected my pregnancy more than my age did. I had preeclampsia and had my daughter 3 weeks early by c-section because of my preeclampsia. She was also big, 9 lbs 2 oz, even though she was early.

My BFF is 41 and currently pregnant by artificial insemination. She's just past the 1/2 way mark and everything's going perfectly. She was in excellent shape before she got pregnant.
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I have six kids, had seven pregnancies giving birth at ages: 18, 20, 21, 34, 35, 39 and a bad miscarriage at 43.

All but my fifth were unmedicated. I have always gotten hyperemesis gravidarium, but it did not get to the point where it bothered the babies.

All were healthy at birth, except for my fifth, and that one was due to the incompetence of my OBGYN.

After the miscarriage, where I nearly bled out, my husband had a vasectomy.
  • katrwal
    katrwal Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    first baby right before 34 - uneventful except for the whole "didn't know i was in labor" thing - he was born a month early, on the bathroom floor...

second at 37 - had preeclampsia with HELLP - was born via c-section 7 weeks early - that was more to do with stressful job and overall unhealthy lifestyle (including being overweight and inactive)... like another poster said - have a good friend who's PG right now (40), and has had a totally uneventful pregnancy...

i do think that a good number of OB-GYN still treat most women over 35 as high-risk, but there are a lot of options out there - i would do some research, and interview several practices prior to getting pregnant to find a group that supports your philosophies...
  • downinaggieland98
    Options
    Thanks for the replies...

I'm getting to that age where I feel like it's now or never, and I want to be smart about it. I'd love to have another one, but not at the risk of the baby. It's definitely a tough decision!
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    My mom had my sister at age 37 (this was in 1991). No complications (in fact, I was the complicated one when she was only 30), much easier pregnancy than her first one, and she is currently in better shape than I am. BUT---she has always been in great shape since I can remember. She was an aerobics instructor and a runner when she got pregnant with my sister, and then as soon as she was born went right back to it, so there is definitely a lot to be said to being healthy before, during, and after pregnancy at any age.

That was almost 22 years ago, so I imagine that today late 30s are the new late 20s as far as havin' babies goes. Consult with your doctor, take care of your body, and good luck!!
  • Cre8veLifeR
    Cre8veLifeR Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    My first I had when I was 31 and my second I was 36. The second definitely took more of a toll on my body than the first one did! I gained a lot more weight (that was my fault though -- all I ate was burritos lol) and the recovery was a lot harder than with my first. I have TONS of friends who are having babies NOW (I am almost 42) and only one had serious complications that sent her to bed rest for 6 months - but the baby is healthy as could be :)
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I had my babies at 38 and 39. I had to do an external inversion with both of them and was on the edge of gestational diabetes with the second. I had all the non-invasive tests done, neither had any concerning results and I pushed out both of them without drugs. The oldest is three, the youngest is one and I feel rich and lucky that I was able to have them after waiting so long.
  • Watchoutforred
    Watchoutforred Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    This thread is so encouraging - I'm 35 and single, but hoping for adorable redheaded babies some day (soon!). It seems all I hear is about how my odds are only getting worse and worse, so these stories make me feel better. And make me more committed to get healthy! Thanks, ladies!
  • marthajo1
    marthajo1 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I had babies at 35 and 36. The one at 36 was born 6 weeks early but doubt that was related to my age. I was also six weeks early when I was born and my mom was 29 when she had me. Both pregnancies were relatively uneventful in terms of complications or issues. I am 40 now and would actually love another one but I am not sure I want to be 40 and pregnant! Be sure you have a good doc and take GOOD care of yourself!
  • healthyfitjenn
    healthyfitjenn Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have three kids, and had them at age 33, 35 and 38. I was also overweight with each pregnancy.

Besides the fact that all three were 9 lbs plus when they were born (!!!), my pregnancies were fine. No complications, no gestational diabetes, blood pressure issues, etc...

Besides being overweight, I am in decent health, though...I've never had any issues with my sugar, blood pressure, cholesterol, etc...
  • nicola1141
    nicola1141 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I had my first at 32 and my 2nd at 36. Both were normal pregnancies with no complications (well, I had placenta previa with my 2nd, but that was unrelated to age). I was not treated as high risk for either.
  • CTCMom2009
    CTCMom2009 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I had my first and only child at 38... my cycles have always been really irregular so even on the Pill it wasn't a big deal to miss... so when I missed a few and spotted in between, I didn't think anything of it. Discovered I was pregnant at 28 weeks! My wonderful OB/GYN watched me carefully, but I didn't have any complications to speak of other than some bleeding at 31 weeks. I had my HUGE son (almost 10 lbs) via C-Section because an earlier cervical procedure I had years earlier rendered it pretty useless!

I'm actually 30 lbs lighter now than I was before I got pregnant, so having my son really motivated me to kick it into gear! And I wouldn't trade him for the world!
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    I have been on both ends of the spectrum. I was a young mom at 17 and an older mom at 36 (I am also preggers now at 38). I had similar complications in both of my previous pregnancies (mild preclampsia). You are at a much higher risk of misarriage when you are older....that is the only issue that I have encountered. In fact, my recovery with my second was much easier than with my first....nearly 20 years later! I can say this as well....I am a much better parent now than when I was younger. Good luck to you!
  • chellec23
    chellec23 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I have no kids myself but my mom was 38 when she had me back in 1982. No complications that I know of but I was born about a month early.

I lost my mom when I was 17 and it nearly killed me. If you have kids late in life, just please make sure you take care of yourself for their sake.
  • MellyLikestoRun
    MellyLikestoRun Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I had one at 32 and the other at 35 (not quite late 30's, but anyway...). Honestly, I am in better shape now at 44 than I was before having either of them. :) I have two girlfriends that had babies at 40 with no issues.
  • CamillaBeaumont
    CamillaBeaumont Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I had my first at 34 and the second at 38 with a miscarriage in between. The second pregnancy was much harder on my body, not sure it if was because of age though: permanent "morning" sickness for the first 6 months then heartburn for the next 3, fluid build up in my legs and ankles (my feet permanently went up a 1/2 size), hemerrhoids - all the unpleasant stuff, but no serious complications.

There are some birth defects that are more common with an advanced maternal age, such as Down Syndrome, so where I live doctors take extra precautions for anyone over age 35 (like amniocentesis testing). I believe this is because your eggs deteriorate as you get older, so higher chance of there being a problem. Personally, I think a 40 year old in good shape will have less problems with pregnancy than an unhealthy 30 year old.
  • HealthyLeeLee
    HealthyLeeLee Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • downinaggieland98
    Options
    Thanks everyone. :)

I had my daughter when I was 35 and it was a pretty easy pregnancy. I wasn't taking as good of care of myself as I am now, I feel like I am much healthier and in better shape. We had all but decided she was going to be an only child but now I'm starting to realize how much I would like her to have a baby brother or sister.
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I had my first at 29 and last at 35. I really don't think having babies later is very much of an issue at all if you are in good health. The only concern is it may be harder to get pregnant with aging eggs. I have several friends who have had their babies in their 40's with no issues what so ever.
  • paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    My eldest is twentyfive and my youngest is two and a half...I'm fortyfour. Everything was fine, natural birth, no problems.