My Scale just isnt moving :(

Options
I am starting to feel a little down...In the last month my scale has hardly went down at all! 90% of this month I have stayed under my 1,200 calorie goal and have exercised 3 to 4 times a week burning usually around 500 calories..Has anyone else had this problem? And if so what did you do ? I just feel like I may need to go see a doctor to get some things checked....

Replies

• Reeceybaby1988
    Options
    I am starting to feel a little down...In the last month my scale has hardly went down at all! 90% of this month I have stayed under my 1,200 calorie goal and have exercised 3 to 4 times a week burning usually around 500 calories..Has anyone else had this problem? And if so what did you do ? I just feel like I may need to go see a doctor to get some things checked....

its called not eating enough
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    How far under 1200 are you? Do you eat back your exercise cals? Eating too little over time can cause a stall in weight loss - you're giving your body a reason to store fat rather than burn it. Especially at 1200, which is considered the bare minimum cals for women. Your net at the end of the day should be 1200, possibly higher.

Hard to offer more advice since I don't know anything about you, such as height, weight, what type of exercise you do, but Im' willing to bet the problem lies with you not eating enough. Food is fuel! :smile:
  • taradee03
    taradee03 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I am 5'3 and weigh about 193.....I usually do around 45 minutes on the eleptical and then do some weight lifting so I burn around 500 or 600 calories on the days I work out....I usually do not eat my calories back, I may eat 100 or 200 of them but not all....My net calories this week have averaged around 900 or 1,000 calories since I am not eating all of my exercise calories back...So are you all saying I need to have a net of 1,200?
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    What do you mean when you say that you hardly lost?
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    I am 5'3 and weigh about 193.....I usually do around 45 minutes on the eleptical and then do some weight lifting so I burn around 500 or 600 calories on the days I work out....I usually do not eat my calories back, I may eat 100 or 200 of them but not all....My net calories this week have averaged around 900 or 1,000 calories since I am not eating all of my exercise calories back...So are you all saying I need to have a net of 1,200?

For your age, weight, height even if you did NOTHING all day you need around 1500 calories. I'd suggest reading http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10665-newbies-please-read-me-2nd-edition to start and going from there.
  • WaxMama
    WaxMama Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    You're not eating enough. I did the 1200 calorie thing for a while, too, and stopped losing weight. I'm 5'5" and I weight 148 and my calorie goal is 1870 (with exercise). Once I bumped my calories up, I started seeing the scale move again.
  • mattschwartz01
    mattschwartz01 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    You do need to eat more!! I know it sounds counter-intuitive but you don't want to go into starvation mode. 1200 should be your bare minimum intake. I'm at about 1600-1700 calories. I would also take measurements because the scale is only one yardstick for measuring your health progress.
  • djwife03
    djwife03 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I have been struggling with this also! I upped my cals, and am trying to eat more during the day so that, when I work out, and burn 500 cals, I'm not at too big of a deficit! Still working on that!
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Eat more!!! :grumble:

Every day I see threads like this!! :angry:
  • Ih8thedreadmill
    Ih8thedreadmill Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    At least that! depending on age your BMR is around 15 to 1700! Trust me i plateaued and RAISED my calories and have been loosing steady again! MINIMUM 1200 buy you really need to go higher!!!!!!
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I'm at 196 and MFP tells me that to lose a pound a week i need 1670 calories and that's without any exercise calories. I know i could not survive on 800 net a day.
  • TedStout
    TedStout Posts: 241
    Options
    Eat more. Eat right, eat more. Worked for me!
  • sassyann45
    sassyann45 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Hi
    My scale has been stuck for awhile now but I have not given up yet. I have been using myfitness for awhile but have not added any friends. So, I decided that I need to start reaching out for encouragement and support.
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    Google "tdee calculator" - use it.... subtract 500cals from the total - that is what you eat regardless of your workout (because it factors in workout calories). When I started using this method I have been losing a consistant 1lb/week (after a 1mo stall)

Good luck.
  • Binkie1955
    Binkie1955 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    So what's apparent is your body is slowing down your cellular mechanism because it has detected you are fasting.This is the problem with the 'calories in < calories out' mentality, it completely misses how advanced the chemistry of the body is.

Please see the Good Calories Bad Calories pdf and read pages 20-21
    http://www.dragaonordestino.net/Drachenwut_Blog_DragaoNordestino/Ernaehrung/Ernaehrung_arquivos/Notes-to-Good-Calories-Bad-Calories.pdf

Not sure how you decided 1200 calories would be a good idea. I focus on eating enough to maintain a fast metabolism, am relatively indifferent to calories per se and focus on net carbohydrates (grams of carbs minus grams of fiber). So for me that works out to 1 gram of protein per day for each pound of goal body weight. for me that's at least 170 grams of protein a day no matter how i do it. i have to add a protein supplement to get that much protein. I keep grams of net carbs below 60. for the most part using low carb breads (10 grams of carbs per slice they have plenty of breads like that at Sprout), you're limited to about 4 slices of bread a day. but no rice, pasta, potatoes, or other starches (no beer, no booze).

I also be sure i get PLENTY of fat!! you read that right. Bacon, Avocados, Rib Eye Steak with the FAT left ON! cheese etc.

And based on that i'm losing 1-2 pounds of FAT per week, (I use a body fat scale to be sure). And before you ask my cholesterol is well below 200.

Been living this way for over a year now.
    Good luck, stop fasting. won't work. your body has evolved the ability to SURVIVE difficult winters and famines and such and it KNOWS how to lower your metalbolism when calories are restricted. Your body is actually MUCH smarter than you are!
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    If your scale isn't being supportive it's probably broken. Kick it across the room, teach it some respect.
  • GrannyGwen1
    GrannyGwen1 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    General Diet and Weight Loss Help

Topic: My Scale just isnt moving :(

BUMP
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    It will if you throw it out the window.

Get a tape measure and learn how to eat well. Make sure that you are exercising and doing some simple strength training.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,688 Member
    Options
    Under eating slows down your metabolic rate faster.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • amatxuof5
    amatxuof5 Posts: 40
    Options
    Google "tdee calculator" - use it.... subtract 500cals from the total - that is what you eat regardless of your workout (because it factors in workout calories). When I started using this method I have been losing a consistant 1lb/week (after a 1mo stall)

Good luck.

If I do that I end up with LESS than 1200 calories. Hm. I better stick to 1200, although I feel like my scale isn't budging either :-(