My Scale just isnt moving :(

Options

Replies

• Brad805
    Brad805 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Can I ask how you are assessing your food quantities? How long have you been on the fat loss plan? I am not so quick to jump on board with the slowed metabolism thought.
  • taradee03
    taradee03 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    this website set my calorie goal at 1,200...
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    My calorie goal was set at 1200 too.

I lost the 45lbs eating at this calorie goal + eating most of my exercise cals.

I have been in maintenance for a few months and my goal now is 1560 + exercise cals.

I am 5` 4"

My advice is net the 1200 cals at least.

ETA I am 135lbs
  • cwood2002
    cwood2002 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Google "tdee calculator" - use it.... subtract 500cals from the total - that is what you eat regardless of your workout (because it factors in workout calories). When I started using this method I have been losing a consistant 1lb/week (after a 1mo stall)

Good luck.

If I do that I end up with LESS than 1200 calories. Hm. I better stick to 1200, although I feel like my scale isn't budging either :-(

When I first started I was eating 1200 or less a day too. .......and my scale wouldn't move.
    You are supposed to take your TDEE minus 20% - that's my understanding.
    Not 500 calories, that would take you too low!!!
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I am 5'3 and weigh about 193.....I usually do around 45 minutes on the eleptical and then do some weight lifting so I burn around 500 or 600 calories on the days I work out....I usually do not eat my calories back, I may eat 100 or 200 of them but not all....My net calories this week have averaged around 900 or 1,000 calories since I am not eating all of my exercise calories back...So are you all saying I need to have a net of 1,200?

You need to calculate your TDEE. At the very least you need to NET the 1200, but you may need more based on your activity level. To NET 1200, you need to eat your exercise calories back. If you burn 500 calories in a workout, you need to eat 1700 for the day to net 1200. (Net = calories eaten - calories burned)
  • Kiss_Her_Act
    Options
    might be muscles.try using tape measure than a scale.because what matters is Centimetres.
  • cwood2002
    cwood2002 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    this website set my calorie goal at 1,200...

Also.............read this.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/6556-the-answers-to-the-questions
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    So are you all saying I need to have a net of 1,200?

It's probably higher than that-figure out your BMR and TDEE and go from there. If MFP set your goal to 1200 it's thinking you're going to eat back your workout calories since that's how the site is set up so you'd be neting 1200
  • kdsp2911
    kdsp2911 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Eat more!!! :grumble:

Every day I see threads like this!! :angry:

This!
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    SMH...are you pooping regularly? Because if you're not, then you're doing it wrong.

Try eating a Big Mac
  • acidosaur
    acidosaur Posts: 295 Member
    Options

I have been in maintenance for a few months and my goal now is 1560 + exercise cals.

I am 5` 4"

ETA I am 135lbs

exactly the same with me. definitely net the 1200 cals and keep going, see how you lose doing that for a while.
  • Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    Options

I am 5` 4"

ETA I am 135lbs
    I'm 5'3" and only 1 pound away from my goal weight of 110. I eat between 1350 and 1500 calories per day and I'm still losing. So yeah, you can do it!....eat your exercise calories back! :)
  • simoneg14
    simoneg14 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I am probably repeating what's been said, I'm no expert at all but I was under the impression that you should not stay on 1200 net calories for weight loss, my PT advised me to only do this for a maximum of 2 weeks then up my calories but 100 per week until I got to 1500 net per day and that has worked for me. If you are eating less than 1200 net per day your body is going into starvation mode and starts to hold on to reserves (food) because your body does not know when it's getting its next meal. Hope this helps
  • Sjenny5891
    Sjenny5891 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3". I maintain my weight 120 at 1520. I eat back most of my exercise calories.
    At 190, I was eating around 2,000 a day with about 800 a day burned through exercise...... net 1200 and losing 2 to 3 pounds a week.
  • Jarice12
    Jarice12 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I am 5'3 and weigh about 193.....I usually do around 45 minutes on the eleptical and then do some weight lifting so I burn around 500 or 600 calories on the days I work out....I usually do not eat my calories back, I may eat 100 or 200 of them but not all....My net calories this week have averaged around 900 or 1,000 calories since I am not eating all of my exercise calories back...So are you all saying I need to have a net of 1,200?

Yes yes yes...your net should be 1200 AT LEAST with the amount of calories you are burning per day. I had the same problem: I hit a plateau I increased my caloric intake AND added strength training. Strength training builds muscle, which helps to burn fat; try adding it in 3 times a week.
  • Scorchy
    Scorchy Posts: 12
    Options
    As long as MFP is calculating a 1200 calorie goal for people when it's not really appropriate for their needs, you're going to see these threads. I was pretty annoyed myself when I realized that I had been eating way less than I needed to or should.
  • cep06e
    cep06e Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    A calorie deficit *will* result in weight loss, especially for those that are considered obese. Many people consume more calories than they think, and don't burn nearly as many calories as they think when working out. Are you measuring your food properly? Are you logging EVERYTHING you eat, even just a bite of something here and there?

Here's a good article from Livestrong http://www.livestrong.com/article/470905-1-200-calorie-diets-for-obese-women/
  • miracle4me
    miracle4me Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Bumpty Bump I want to keep my eye on this topic.
    I am singing the scale blues myself.
  • lcfairbairn74
    lcfairbairn74 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    If your scale isn't being supportive it's probably broken. Kick it across the room, teach it some respect.

I laughed out loud at his! Very funny! :laugh: :laugh:
  • alexsis88
    alexsis88 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    IIFYM.com a tdee calculator site told me that my 5'3" 142lb frame needs 1910 cals a day on little to no exercise to maintain! But working out 5 days a week I need almost 2300 to maintain. Good luck to you. Worth a shot!