tbs, is it small or large spoon?

Hey there,

The title may sound silly but I just started using MFP and I really love it. However, when entering food I don't if tbs is tablespoon is the normal one or small.

Sorry if the question sound silly, but an answer will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Replies

• CassieLeigh86
    CassieLeigh86 Posts: 68 Member
    Well...if "the normal one or small" spoons you're referring to are spoons that you actually eat with, I'd say don't use either of those to measure. Silverware isn't really made to measure quantity...it may have been at one point (don't know), but I'm pretty sure spoons aren't standard at all. I'd suggest buying a set of measuring spoons to be more accurate (or better yet, a food scale).

If you're asking whether "tbs" is a tablespoon or a teaspoon (normal one or small?), then the answer is tablespoon. Abbreviations for tablespoon are TBSP, tbs, TBS, tbsp...pretty much the ones with a "b" in them. Abbreviations for teaspoon are TSP, tsp, or pretty much the ones with no "b" in them.

Hope this helped!
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    I researched this question a while ago for a similar thread and the answer is, it depends on where you are!

In the UK, a "standard" teaspoon measure is 5 ml, a dessert spoon is 10 ml and a tablespoon is 15ml.

In the USA a "standard" teaspoon measure is 5ml, a tablespoon is 10 ml and I don't think they recognise dessertspoon as a possible measure.

The ACTUAL volume held by a random spoon you happen to have is almost certainly not precisely the same as these.

It's another case of "proper measurements are important" - weights are always more accurate and precise than cupfuls and measuring volumes by millilitres is more accurate than using a random spoon from your kitchen drawer.
  • kingscrown
    kingscrown Posts: 615 Member
    If you need to measure go buy a set of measuring spoons. They are pretty cheap. I measure things every day, so I like having my measuring spoons and measuring cups. I use a food scale a lot, so I can save myself having to wash measuring spoons and cups as well.
  • watfordjc
    watfordjc Posts: 304 Member
    Using metric, a tsp (teaspoon) is 5 ml and a tbsp (tablespoon) is 15 ml, except in Australia where a metric tablespoon is 20 ml.

There isn't much difference between the metric volumes and the imperial or US volumes, although when it is closer to 1/4 cup or more I try to make sure the entry I'm logging under is using the same measuring system I am using.

Edit for clarification: When I say there isn't much difference, I'm talking about small amounts: an imperial teaspoon is 5.91939 ml and a US teaspoon is 4.92892 ml; an imperial tablespoon is 17.7582 ml and a US tablespoon is 14.7868 ml; 1/4 cup is approximately 4 tablespoons. If it were something calorie dense like raw sugar, I'd probably be more precise at a lower threshold.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    An actual Tbsp is a measured kind of spoon like this...

250px-MeasuringSpoons.jpg

The big one on there is a Tbsp and it goes all the way down to 1/8 teaspoon.
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Hey there,

The title may sound silly but I just started using MFP and I really love it. However, when entering food I don't if tbs is tablespoon is the normal one or small.

Thank you

There are varying sizes of spoons, you should buy set of measuring spoons so you get it right. You get them for few bucks.

In a pinch the top part of your thumb (down to the first joint from the tip) is about a tablespoon. A teaspoon is just the tip of your thumb. Still better to have a set of measuring spoons.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    My particular large silverware spoons happen to be just a little under a tablespoon, so sometimes I use that when I'm in a hurry. This is by no means standard though, as different brands and styles of spoons are going to vary in size by A LOT. I recommend buying a set of measuring spoons and use them, they will be much more accurate.

Even more accurate than tablespoons and teaspoons, is measuring food by weight. You might want to consider investing in a good kitchen scale.
  • cdjs77
    cdjs77 Posts: 176 Member
    In the UK, a "standard" teaspoon measure is 5 ml, a dessert spoon is 10 ml and a tablespoon is 15ml.

In the USA a "standard" teaspoon measure is 5ml, a tablespoon is 10 ml and I don't think they recognise dessertspoon as a possible measure.

I think you mean in the US, a tablespoon is 15 ml. US and UK tablespoons and teaspoons are the same size. The dessert spoon measure is rarely used any more in the US.
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    I think what confused me is that what people generally call a tablespoon in the US - the one you'd eat your porridge with - is called a dessertspoon here in the UK. To us, a tablespoon is a serving spoon, but not a huge, kitchen-sized one. Measuring spoons are so much more accurate!
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    I think what confused me is that what people generally call a tablespoon in the US - the one you'd eat your porridge with - is called a dessertspoon here in the UK. To us, a tablespoon is a serving spoon, but not a huge, kitchen-sized one. Measuring spoons are so much more accurate!

Actually, in a US a spoon is a spoon but a tablespoon is a specific measurement device, for most of us anyway.

Most people I know don't assume the volume of any given spoon is a tablespoon. Though depending on which manufacturer a "tablespoon" in a flatware set is about 15ml but it's not consistant.
  • KevinLamb77
    KevinLamb77 Posts: 87
    That all depends on wheather you're measuring Peanut Butter or something else. :laugh:
    PB large spoon, everything else small.
  • Bettyeditor
    Bettyeditor Posts: 327 Member
    Hey there,

Thank you

I'm not sure of the question. Are you asking whether "tbs" is the abbreviation for Tablespoon versus Teaspoon? If so, it is the abbreviation for Tablespoon (there is no "b" in "teaspoon"). The other common abbreviation for Tablespoon is TBSP
  • lee91356
    lee91356 Posts: 330 Member
    like other said it varies, best way is just to go out and buy a measuring set and after constantly using it you will be able eyeball

oops tbs or tbsp is the large one and tsp or tbsp is the some one
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    An actual Tbsp is a measured kind of spoon like this...

250px-MeasuringSpoons.jpg

The big one on there is a Tbsp and it goes all the way down to 1/8 teaspoon.

^^ ... and these are essential for baking since the measurements need to be precise. We all know it's better to cook your own food, so get to baking, too. :bigsmile:
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    tbls- tablesppons
    tsp-teaspoon
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    If you need to measure go buy a set of measuring spoons. They are pretty cheap. I measure things every day, so I like having my measuring spoons and measuring cups. I use a food scale a lot, so I can save myself having to wash measuring spoons and cups as well.

You can get these at a dollar store ...

another handy idea .....a coffee scoop is typically 2 tablespoons ..... a perfect size for salad dressings
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    The big one.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    That all depends on wheather you're measuring Peanut Butter or something else. :laugh:
    PB large spoon, everything else small.

:laugh:

Peanut butter-- don't use a measuring spoon, go by weight, even though it will break your heart to see how little it is. :brokenheart:
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Just eyeball it.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    tbs, is it small or large spoon?
    tsp is the smaller spoon but you should remember....

tumblr_m9jwvqb1nY1rdh1u9o1_250.gif
    tumblr_m9jwvqb1nY1rdh1u9o2_250.gif
    tumblr_m9jwvqb1nY1rdh1u9o3_250.gif
    tumblr_m9jwvqb1nY1rdh1u9o4_250.gif