weighted hoola hoops

Options
Has anyone ever tried using this? I used it at the gym today and it was great, except that my waist was a bit numb for a few minutes afterwards. I used to see other people using it but I had NO idea how heavy it was! I am going to incorporate it in my daily work out and hopefully will see some results.

Replies

• happy_jax
    happy_jax Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Oh yes! I used to do the Hula Aerobics class at the gym a couple of times a week!

Such good fun! You could work up quite a sweat without actually even feeling like you were working out! I'm sure it helped with the old muffin tops as well! :laugh:

I've now changed gyms...must order my own weighted hoop! Thanks for reminding me of these!! :smile:
  • HappyathomeMN
    HappyathomeMN Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    LOVE my 5pound hoop! My teenage daughter thinks it's just plain fun too. Great way to exercise the core muscles and have fun. Good commercial break exercises, if you have the space.
  • sunnyskys
    Options
    where can i get one?
  • Alysgrma
    Alysgrma Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I have never heard of them until your post. I went looking and found this information.
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/weighted-hula-hoops/AN01638
    I had forgotten how fun using the hoola hoops can be. I think I will buy just the hoola hoop and go for there :)

Good Luck
    Mary
  • riveraphx
    riveraphx Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I can't hoola hoop to save my life!! What's wrong with me??? LOL. What is the technique, how do you get it to stay up?
  • metizzy2
    metizzy2 Posts: 122
    Options
    http://www.sports-hoop.com/main_instruction.aspx

I just found this website which explains HOW to use the Hula Hoop (yes I spelled it wrong the first time). I learned that since it's heavy, it is easier to keep up rather than falling (however, it's a better work out to hula with the lighter plastic hoops).
  • riveraphx
    riveraphx Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    thank you!!
  • miss_amy
    miss_amy Posts: 351
    Options
    I couldn't hula hoop to save my life when I was younger. Within the last year one of my friends started her own hula hoop company and so I bought one from her that is collapsible (for travel). I can now hoop for a few minutes without stopping (still am working on it!). I noticed that the bigger the hoop, the easier it is. I believe your hoop size should be the same size from the floor to your belly button (at least that's what i've been told). hope that helps!
  • sngnyrslp
    sngnyrslp Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    wow does Hula Hooping really work out the abs that much?
  • miss_amy
    miss_amy Posts: 351
    Options
    I definitely think it works the abs a lot. My friend hoops for HOURS a day (no other exercise) and lost over 40lbs in a few months! I've read you can burn anywhere from 300-600 calories an hour from hooping (depending on your pace and whatnot). It's definitely a fun way to work out! I wouldn't recommend that be your only workout, but on off days or on days you want to hang with your friends, grab a hoop! :)
  • emilyisbonkers
    emilyisbonkers Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I use a weighted hula hoop for at least half hour a day and lost four inches from my waist in a month, however I am only eating 1200 cals a day.