Hi! Newbie would love friends w/a whole foods focus!

Options
Hi everyone! I'm Bett, and I'm a carboholic... :bigsmile:

I've been here just a few days and love it so far. This is the first time I've seriously dieted, except for pre-cruise and pre-wedding stuff over 20+ years ago. After a recent blood sugar scare and an 'angry liver', I'm finally cleaning up my act.

I would love some supportive friends, especially those who are trying to focus on eating more clean, whole foods. I think the Frankenfoods Industry is mostly evil and probably making us collectively fatter than ever.

I also have a FitBit One on it's way and it would be nice to make friends that use it also.

I look forward to building a network of friends to help me stay on track, and to being of help and support to others.

Thanks!

Replies

• faefaith
    faefaith Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Hiya! I am into eating whole foods and share your views on the Frankenfoods industry. Feel free to add me!
  • Pitgrrrl
    Pitgrrrl Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hey! I'm a newbie, too. I also have a fitbit one and I adore it. If you can, get the fitbit aria scale. That has really helped me with the little bit of weight I've managed to lose. I'm also a fellow dog lover!
  • WhiteGirlWasted13
    WhiteGirlWasted13 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Just sent you a friend request. We share a food philosophy! Anyone else feeling the same way can add me too!
  • Miss_Hiker_Pants
    Miss_Hiker_Pants Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I've just started eating whole foods. Have you tried the 100daysofrealfood.com site? I found lots of great recipes, links to books & more recipes etc.
  • shalysewrightbethea
    shalysewrightbethea Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I am definitely into eating whole foods. Little by little I making processed foods disappear from our pantry and lessening my junk food intake ( I have it down to hot fries and lemon heads and root beer if I'm really stressed). The hardest part is that I have friends and family who aren't supportive.
  • betthouston
    betthouston Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hiya! I am into eating whole foods and share your views on the Frankenfoods industry. Feel free to add me!

Thanks FaeFaith- I just added you :happy:
  • Pomidorka
    Pomidorka Posts: 36
    Options
    I'm into clean eating. Feel free to add me :)
  • ebk8767
    ebk8767 Posts: 5
    Options
    I just joined yesterday and am also a carboholic. It will be fun to have someone to support and encourage and vice versa. I am now adjusting my diet to eating fresh fruits and vegetables with a little vegetable protein. I also am using a Fit Bit.
  • betthouston
    Options
    Hey! I'm a newbie, too. I also have a fitbit one and I adore it. If you can, get the fitbit aria scale. That has really helped me with the little bit of weight I've managed to lose. I'm also a fellow dog lover!

Hi Pitgrrrl-

Good news on the FitBit One! Everyone seems to love it. I'm anxiously awaiting the UPS guy next week.

I have been looking at the Aria scale too, but seems there are a LOT of problems with the set up. Like hours and hours of trying and- nada. Did you have any issues? I love the idea of it syncing automatically. No fudging allowed by innocent error or otherwise. :wink:

My dog is my BFF! f people don't like dogs, they probably won't be spending much time with me. They are such wonderful creatures and have so much to teach us. I can only aspire to be the person my dog thinks I am...
  • Bakerchk
    Bakerchk Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I am a clean (ish) eater. I still love a hot dog every once in awhile but for the most part I stick to veggies, fruits, nuts, beans, and grains. I've been on MFP for 2 years and love it! Hope you will too.

Feel free to add me. :)
  • betthouston
    Options
    Just sent you a friend request. We share a food philosophy! Anyone else feeling the same way can add me too!

Thanks! :smile: I just added you. I look forward to cheering each other on!
  • betthouston
    Options
    I've just started eating whole foods. Have you tried the 100daysofrealfood.com site? I found lots of great recipes, links to books & more recipes etc.

Hi!

Thanks for the link- I'm devouring all the good info and tips I can get. Better than devouring sourdough bread! I look forward to the journey!
  • betthouston
    Options
    I am definitely into eating whole foods. Little by little I making processed foods disappear from our pantry and lessening my junk food intake ( I have it down to hot fries and lemon heads and root beer if I'm really stressed). The hardest part is that I have friends and family who aren't supportive.

Hi!

Good job on the food changes! Not so good to hear about the friends and family, but that's what this place is for :flowerforyou: We'll stick together on here and Pfffffftttttt to the haters.

P.S. I LOVE lemon heads...but I'm old enough to remember what they tasted like when they had real lemon in them.
  • betthouston
    Options
    I'm into clean eating. Feel free to add me :)

Thanks! I just added you :happy:
  • betthouston
    Options
    I just joined yesterday and am also a carboholic. It will be fun to have someone to support and encourage and vice versa. I am now adjusting my diet to eating fresh fruits and vegetables with a little vegetable protein. I also am using a Fit Bit.

Thanks EBK! I look forward to it as well. We can support each other through the FitBit sites as well, once mine arrives. I can't wait!

I just added you. :bigsmile:
  • betthouston
    Options
    Welcome! I am a clean (ish) eater. I still love a hot dog every once in awhile but for the most part I stick to veggies, fruits, nuts, beans, and grains. I've been on MFP for 2 years and love it! Hope you will too.

Feel free to add me. :)

Thanks!

What IS it about hot dogs?? I rarely come across them but a serious polish dog or sausage at a place that knows how to make them- with kraut....ohhhhh my. Garlic fries do that to me also. I guess we will always have favorite foods that make us clean(ish).

I just aded you. :drinker:
  • roanne42
    roanne42 Posts: 4
    Options
    Hi Bett -- I'm definitely into "whole foods" -- partly because I was lucky to grow up in CA (cheap fresh fruits/veggies all year round) and partly because I love to cook. Recently, I've begun making my own artisan bread using wild yeast (sourdough). Much healthier (no preservatives, sugars or fats) and easier to digest.

Problem areas: Kids (and a thin DH who likes to spoil them). And I need to get active despite some mobility issues (bad knees) which has forced me to limit my favorite exercise, long brisk walks.
  • betthouston
    Options
    Hi Bett -- I'm definitely into "whole foods" -- partly because I was lucky to grow up in CA (cheap fresh fruits/veggies all year round) and partly because I love to cook. Recently, I've begun making my own artisan bread using wild yeast (sourdough). Much healthier (no preservatives, sugars or fats) and easier to digest.

Problem areas: Kids (and a thin DH who likes to spoil them). And I need to get active despite some mobility issues (bad knees) which has forced me to limit my favorite exercise, long brisk walks.

Yum! Sourdough is my friend :) Sounds delicious! I'm in California so I know how lucky we are to have an abundance of fresh everything, right here. As well as amazing Farmer's markets that I don't utilize enough.

Re: your knees- Ugh, that sucks! Losing weight helps our knees, but bad knees makes it hard to get around....vicious cycle. Mine are tricky too from years of skiing my brains out and an ACL injury that I never had repaired. I have a heel spur that I used Aleve daily for to keep the pain away. Because my liver was screaming I've stopped all NSAID's and OTC pain relievers, but now my foot is screaming LOL. II try to remind myself not to limp when I walk, and remember that the more weight I drop the better my foot and joints will feel. :)

Is there anything you can do for your knees to make the walks possible? Maybe wearing knee supports? They helped me in the past when they were healing.
  • roanne42
    roanne42 Posts: 4
    Options
    I have congenital arthritis in the knees but it actually isn't so bad. The main problem is the cartilage in my left knee. It was damaged about 10 years ago and I had surgery to repair it. It was fine for 5 years and then became chronically inflamed. The traditional treatment is, you guessed it, NSAIDS, but like you, I can't handle any of them at therapeutic doses (an occasional ibuprofen for a headache is ok). So I'm getting cortisone shots every 5-6 months. So far so good, but I have to be very careful not to overstress the knee because once the shots stop working, a knee replacement will be the only option.

You're right -- the best treatment for my knees at this point would be losing weight. I'm hopeful that if I could get back to a healthy weight, I could resume walking for exercise. Until then, it's the elliptical for me. Which is fine, but a hassle to get to the gym when all I want to do is get on my walking shoes and open my front door. :)
  • betthouston
    Options
    Roanne, I'm looking into taking Tumeric. It's a powerful anti-inflammatory. I'm using it more in my cooking. Taking the capsules seems to be the way to go- but they're pricy. You might check it out and see what you think.

I hear you on getting out of the house to use the less-stressful-on-the-joints machines- personally, I could never stick to making it to a gym. I have a beautiful AirDyne stored that I bought on Craigslist for only $25 (wOOt!) It's getting dusted off and used again, as of today :)