motivation?!

Options
(I posted this on another forum, I just copied it instead of re typing it)
Ok, well see here is my problem. I am trying to lose some weight (a lot of weight!) But the motivation to get up an go seems to be my biggest problem. I don't know why either Everything so far in life I have been able to overcome and get through it even when people told me I couldn't do it.
Graduated high school, took a year off everyone told me I would never go back to school after taking that year off. I did.
Got my College Diploma for Veterinary Assistant/ Receptionist. Mind you I failed 1 course, people told me I wouldn't go back, I did. I finished.
Was told I would never get my license. Got that now too
After accomplishing all that on my own mind you, I never had my parents help for anything. I support myself (I am paying my cell bill, car insurance, student loan, and a credit card.)

Now here lies my biggest rutt right now. Getting into better shape. It's like the motivation isn't there. My head isn't in it. I am 21 years old, 5'1 and 170 pounds and it kills me to know I have done this to myself and I want to fix it. It is just so hard. Me and my boyfriend decided to do this together, while I broke it off with him for a week and things went downhill, we got back together and I just cant seem to have the motivation, him on the other hand still does his insanity training. I have a three month free member ship to the gym which is up in July.

What are something that keep you guys motivated? Also some pointers would be great. I know to drink a lot of water which I have done, since I was at my highest point of weight (at 200 pounds in junior high) Thats how I lost that weight, with just drinking water, not changing anything else.

Sometimes I just feel like breaking down over this. Arg. Help would be amazing. Thank you for reading this long a** post too, it means a lot

Replies

• TedStout
    TedStout Posts: 241
    Options
    It has to come from inside you. Look at the success stories on here and see people who have lost over 100 lbs and how it changed their lives. It is NOT easy! But, especially at your age, if you change your relationship with food and exercise and health now, you will prosper from it in the future. Take short term successes. Change now, strive for a real modest goal. Honestly, it will surprise you how your life can change in a relatively short period of time.

Just do it! No excuses. Just Do It!
  • lunabelle33
    lunabelle33 Posts: 33
    Options
    It has to come from inside you. Look at the success stories on here and see people who have lost over 100 lbs and how it changed their lives. It is NOT easy! But, especially at your age, if you change your relationship with food and exercise and health now, you will prosper from it in the future. Take short term successes. Change now, strive for a real modest goal. Honestly, it will surprise you how your life can change in a relatively short period of time.

Just do it! No excuses. Just Do It!

Thanks, maybe I am setting to high of a goal for myself. Babysteps.
  • rose228822
    rose228822 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    First of all a big congratulations to you for all you have succeeded in. You must be very proud of yourself and it is definitely well deserved:)
    I am fortunate to have three beautiful daughters who are very supportive and also offer me so much encouragement. my oldest daughter is taking culinary classes and has started making me healthy meals to take for lunch. I found that if I bring lunch to work and bring healthy snacks I don't end up eating fast food.
    I also have coworkers that are also trying to eat healthier and one of my coworkers is also doing myfitness which is nice.
    It's great that your boyfriend is into exercising and being supportive and I think it's great that you're only 21 and you feel you want to make a change like this...it took me quite a long time to decide to get in shape and I only wish I wouldn't have waited so long!
    I wish you all the best and from what I've read about you I don't doubt that you will get motivated!
  • Charlottesmama
    Charlottesmama Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    The way I try and stay motivated is to look in my closet. I had my second child almost 4 months ago. I have 12 pairs of expensive jeans hanging in the closet that I used to be able to wear before I had my baby.

Maybe you could buy a cute top or something one size down. That way when you don't feel like getting off your butt you have a visual to motivate you.
  • chicanita91
    chicanita91 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    200-170 is HUGE success girl :) congrats!! If you need any motivation support on here feel free to add me. I'm also 21 and my highest weight was 194 with my current weight of 161, and i'm also pretty short, i'm 5'2 so the weight REALLy sticks out. Some of the motivations this time around are definitely MFP, reading some of the topics on the message boards gets me geared up and seeing other people do exercise throughout the day motivates me. What also motivates me for working out is looking back on old photos of myself, at my highest weight, i dread those pictures.. so when I look back at them it gets me going as I never want to see myself that low ever again. As for eating right, I don't keep any junk food in the house, I personally eat low carb and high protein because that's what has seemed to work for me so far. Also compliments that are received on present weight loss really motivates me to keep on going, and when I feel like quitting I just DON'T! :D Good luck :)
  • lunabelle33
    Options
    First of all a big congratulations to you for all you have succeeded in. You must be very proud of yourself and it is definitely well deserved:)
    I am fortunate to have three beautiful daughters who are very supportive and also offer me so much encouragement. my oldest daughter is taking culinary classes and has started making me healthy meals to take for lunch. I found that if I bring lunch to work and bring healthy snacks I don't end up eating fast food.
    I also have coworkers that are also trying to eat healthier and one of my coworkers is also doing myfitness which is nice.
    It's great that your boyfriend is into exercising and being supportive and I think it's great that you're only 21 and you feel you want to make a change like this...it took me quite a long time to decide to get in shape and I only wish I wouldn't have waited so long!
    I wish you all the best and from what I've read about you I don't doubt that you will get motivated!

Thank you for those kind words
  • lunabelle33
    Options
    200-170 is HUGE success girl :) congrats!! If you need any motivation support on here feel free to add me. I'm also 21 and my highest weight was 194 with my current weight of 161, and i'm also pretty short, i'm 5'2 so the weight REALLy sticks out. Some of the motivations this time around are definitely MFP, reading some of the topics on the message boards gets me geared up and seeing other people do exercise throughout the day motivates me. What also motivates me for working out is looking back on old photos of myself, at my highest weight, i dread those pictures.. so when I look back at them it gets me going as I never want to see myself that low ever again. As for eating right, I don't keep any junk food in the house, I personally eat low carb and high protein because that's what has seemed to work for me so far. Also compliments that are received on present weight loss really motivates me to keep on going, and when I feel like quitting I just DON'T! :D Good luck :)

Thank you :)
  • buffermarie
    buffermarie Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Maybe this perspective could help..

I had never once taken care of myself. I've never been work-out junkie. As a matter of fact I don't like to move at all. Lol (just being honest. I'm flippin' lazy sometimes!)

I had abused my body with food, drugs, liquor repeatedly for the better part of my life. (I am now 40.)
    Never once in my whole 40 years did my body give up on me.
    Never a broken bone, major surgery... Never. Never once did my body fail me.
    Even after I ate so much I couldn't breathe, even after I would throw up blood from too many drugs/liquor...
    Still my body kept me going.
    I finally got the hint. My body finally said.. "Look, chic. I've done this for too long. Now it's your turn."
    And guess what! I made the smallest commitment to myself; basically promising my body that I would only put nutrient-rich foods into it.
    And guess what else!! My body has responded in the most beautiful ways by giving me energy, sleepful nights, and by dropping weight like crazy.
    I am down 35(ish) lbs in 5 months.

So maybe.. just maybe if you look at it a lil differently (like not being held up by the "diet" aspect)... you could make the commitment to yourself and stick with it.
    I hope you do.
    Good luck!
  • Bownzi
    Bownzi Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    AWESOME Story!!!!! Now... think of how great it felt when you did all the things everybody told you that you couldn't do...and you did them... You have it in you now set your goal... and prove your self doubt wrong...you can do this... you are an amasing person... Now start to believe in your self....
  • eddierichardson73
    eddierichardson73 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Yes, we don't put the weight on in a day. So it is not going to come off that way either. I have lost 33 lbs, that being said I could not walk up the steps without breathing hard. My daughter told me she was worried about me....Wake up call! What I have done is start walking and as I got strong I have kept the pace going faster. Just in 3 months I DON'T breath hard anymore going up the steps. Shoveled 1.08 ton of rock out of my truck for my mom!. This examples should be the motivation as you see improvement. If I can help you anyway you can add me as a friend I will be supportive. Hang in there.
  • slightlymad13
    Options
    I try to have little 'goals' throughout the year and usually more events and stuff than actual weight goals. For example looking good for a wedding you're going to, a birthday or for a holiday. I find doing it like that just makes it less of a big massive thing (because for me if I try to look too far ahead at my overall weight loss goal it just feels too far away and like I'll never achieve it and then ends up putting me off) and makes it easier to stay motivated. Also I find looking at photos of myself at my biggest helps too...makes me not want to go back to that and so helps me avoid temptation and keeps me motivated when I'm struggling. That said...I'm far from perfect, and I do have days when i have social stuff going on and don't want to worry about counting calories, and I've learnt that its ok to do that. As long as the next day, or even next meal you get back on it then its ok to let yourself have time out. For me personally (and I know everyone is different, so what works for me won't work for everyone else) I think allowing myself to go off plan now and again actually has kept me going on it much longer, and without it really feeling like a diet, more just like a lifestyle change. Just do what feels best for you, and go for it....you'll be amazed at what you can achieve :-)