Seeking Fitbit Info

Options
I am considering buying a fitbit, but am a little dense about it. How does it work? Is it really just a glorified pedometer or can it calculate calories for other activities such a bike riding, cleaning, etc.? Also, which model do you recommend? Any thoughts/info/tips would be greatly appreciated!:smile:

Replies

• da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    for biking i put mine on my shoe and it calculates it. it won't give you an accurate reading for things like weight lifting, so you just factor in another couple hundred calories for those sessions. i like mine. i got it for christmas and i wear it MOST days. It helps to try to get you moving more throughout the day. I've also read on there that it figures out your TDEE, but again... those will be with estimations.
  • diva_kate
    diva_kate Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    for biking i put mine on my shoe and it calculates it. it won't give you an accurate reading for things like weight lifting, so you just factor in another couple hundred calories for those sessions. i like mine. i got it for christmas and i wear it MOST days. It helps to try to get you moving more throughout the day. I've also read on there that it figures out your TDEE, but again... those will be with estimations.

Does it calculate distance or calories or both?
  • Gizziemoto
    Gizziemoto Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I have heard it referred to as a pedometer on steroids. It is great for running and walking. I have also seen that is has good recommendations from websites that test items like this. You are able to add other activities to it. You have two choices for the calories estimate (start high and lose or start low and go high).

All devices use formulas to calculate what you should eat and how much you burn. I have the FitBit One (gift). I also have a body media armband (purchased). There is only about 200 calories difference in the burned amount (FB is lower).

I do not use it for sleep but others do. The talk is currently about the Flex. I am not a fan of it because I can barely stand to wear my medic alert bracelet. The one is small and can be worn on your hip or pocket or bra. It is very discreet.. Just remember to remove before washing. So as you can tell I prefer the One.
  • Gizziemoto
    Options
    Does calories and distance and steps.
  • Gizziemoto
    Options
    Does calories and distance and steps.

You are also able to set your stride for more accurate mileage.
  • EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    I have the zip and i love the little thing.
    I have some problems sincing it up to the computer sometimes but I am pretty sure that its just my old computer being a pain in the bum.

it really does help me stay active...missed my bus...hmm...well I'll walk to the next stop to get more steps in.

I like beating my score each day =)
  • Gizziemoto
    Options
    Sorry, not your computer being a pain. That happens to me too and I just purchased a new computer less than a year ago. It happens but then they fix it. I do like the bluetooth syncing. Sometimes have issues with the app but nothing that does not get fixed.
  • diva_kate
    diva_kate Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your info!