Where can I buy canned egg whites?

Options
I want to try canned egg whites as a protein source, as many of those protein supplements are too expensive. At the moment I'm relying mainly on cottage cheese and nuts for protein.. which doesn't really work out. I'm struggling to get enough protein in my diet as it is.
Does anyone know where I can buy canned egg whites IN THE UK? Been in quite a few different shops but they never stock it.
And also, are those Dr Oetker powered egg whites any good to use in protein shakes?

Thanks for any help!
Tom

Replies

• TimeWarp9
    TimeWarp9 Posts: 91
    Options
    Don't know about the UK, but in the US Egg Beaters sell 'Just Whites.' They come in a carton (like a milk carton) and are usually sold next to the whole eggs.
  • tom10239487
    tom10239487 Posts: 19
    Options
    bump
  • crystalweekes
    crystalweekes Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    oops
  • creatureofthewind
    Options
    Just buy the whole egg and seperate the yolk if you really got to. I understand though if you didn't want to waste the yolk.
  • Sparkle_Princess
    Options
    you will usually find it in a milk carton near the milk or in the freezer section near frozen fruits in a bag
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry. The UK sounds like a horrible place if they can eggs that way. The US has cartons.

Really though, whats wrong with getting the little individual container ones?

2008_03_26-EggFreshness.jpg

I just put these in a pot of boiling water and they are great!
  • luan999
    luan999 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    if you look up www.twochicks.co.uk site and type in your postcode you will get a list of supermarkets near you that stock their egg whites and egg white omlette mix.
    i cant get in any supermarkets near me so i have to buy on line.:wink:
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    the yolk has more nutrients...
  • alyngard
    alyngard Posts: 103
    Options
    I live in London and the only brand of egg whites I can seem to find are the Two Chicks brand (as mentioned previously). I'm not sure what stores are near to you, but here I have only found them at Waitrose and Whole Foods.

If no luck, I would just buy eggs and separate them myself, I don't think there is much of a price difference. It's more about convenience.