Protein Bars/Shakes?

Options
Good Afternoon!

I am considering joining the protein kick that everyone seems to be on. Has anyone tried Protein bars? What are your favorites? How about protein shakes? I've heard that these can really curb your appetite and are good options as a meal replacement.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Replies

• sabrinafaith
    sabrinafaith Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Luna Protein and Kashi Go Lean Crunchy Bars are amazing and not so high in calories.
  • jdsouthernbelle
    Options
    Try the GNC Total Lean shakes.....I hear they are yummy! I am going to be trying these soon myself. They have 4 flavors and 2 juice flavors as well.
  • LinzyB24
    LinzyB24 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I tried the Luna Protein bar for the first time this morning. It might take some getting used to, but I liked it!
  • Samantharose8akaDebbie
    Options
    Make sure that you are drinking plenty of water with them:laugh:
  • RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I like the Luna protein Bars and the Cliff Bars
  • kimjoan
    kimjoan Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Zone protein bars have good flavor and don't have the yucky grittiness that alot of them have or the strange texture - but they are a bit high on the carb side so I generally have them in a pinch or before or after a workout. Re. protein shakes - ProComplex protein powder is actually very good... make a shake with just milk and the powder or add fruit/yogurt to it and it is great.
  • utes09
    utes09 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I love the luna protein bar that's their chocolate chip cookie kind.

Atkins has some pretty good bars. I like their chocolate caramel mousse bar. I think it only has 110 calories.

Zone perfect has some dark varieties that are good. I like their dark chocolate cookies 'n cream.

Think thin (I just found them at a local store[WinCo], haven't seen them at like Wal Mart or anything) has a delicious Chocolate Covered Strawberry bar that has 0 g of sugar (even goes for sugar alcohols) and 15 g protein. They have other flavors too that I need to try.

It terms of shakes, I really like any of the chocolate flavors that brands put out. My favorite being Muscle Milk Light (can be found at Costco for like $28). They are very yummy to make berry smoothies with!

Atkins also has latte and mocha flavored protein drinks. Also, Pure Protein makes them. Pure Protein also has yummy chocolate peanut butter bars.

As you noticed, most bars and shakes come in the same flavors: chocolate, vanilla, strawberry (shakes), and cookies 'n cream, chocolate chip, chocolate, and chocolate peanut butter (bars).

Just have to find what you like best!!
  • smacaulay
    smacaulay Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Zone bars are the best and they actually taste pretty good! not the cardboard taste most have!
  • netresult
    netresult Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've found the Luna bars have an after taste I don't like. Many bars & shakes have that taste, though some have gotten better. I have a South Beach Diet high protein peanut butter bar almost every morning. They taste real good at 140 cals and 8g protein. I LOVED a bar called twisted, but I cannot find them anymore. They tasted just like a Take 5 candy bar, and they curbed my sweet tooth so I didn't pig out on sweets, and it has like 20g protein. The Kashi Go Lean Crunchy Bars are good. They remind me of a pecan roll. For the shakes, I just go with the Walmart's Ultra shakes. They aren't high protein but they fill me up for a few hours and aren't bad at all (as long as they are cold).
  • LinzyB24
    LinzyB24 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    You all are giving me really great options! Thank you SO much!!
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    I enjoy the Pure Protein line of protein bars. 2g sugar, 19g protein, 180 cals.

You should compare these with the others.
  • kelly_a
    kelly_a Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    I love the Larabars....but kinda pricey....$1 each on sale here. There are many flavors and they are as natural as you can get with usually only a few ingredients...no added sugar, most are sodium free, gluten free, dairy free, soy free and have fiber. I don't mind paying the higher cost with all these healthy benefits! My favorite is Ginger Snap ~ YUM!:tongue:
  • deannarey13
    Options
    I use Shakeology- a meal replacement shake. I love it! It helps curb my appetitie and is full of tons of natural, healthy foods that we don't normally get enough of in our diet. It also helps with regularity as well.

Message me and I can get you more details if you are interested!
  • SuzanneRogers
    SuzanneRogers Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Favorite Bars: Luna minis 80 calories - favorite white chocolate mac. nut, South Beach (all chocolate ones are yummy), Zone fudge graham rock. I usually have as a snack or when I'm out and can't get a healthy meal on the road. I used South Beach ones when I was pregnant and had gestational diabetes just the right amount of carb to protein ratio to keep you blood sugar level.

My Favorite shake: Shakeology in Chocolate. very low i n sugar less that an apple and only 140 calories. 17g protein, 17g carbs,only 1g fat only
    - Gluten free and caffeine free
    - No refi ned sugars or artifi cial sweeteners
    - Provides health-supporting chlorophylls,
    polyphenols, prebiotics, and proanthocyanins
    I drink one every day for lunch. I love chocolate, so these helps cut my sweet cravings. Message me if you want more details.
  • glfprncs2
    glfprncs2 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Make your own protein bars, that way you know EXACTLY what is in it. If you peruse the recipe sections, I posted a recipe for them awhile ago (I think as Clean Eating Protein Bars). If you're interested, and can't find it, send me a message and I'll send you the recipe.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I enjoy the Pure Protein line of protein bars. 2g sugar, 19g protein, 180 cals.

You should compare these with the others.

my favorites
  • bluehorsesjp
    Options
    I stay away from most commercial protein bars because they all seem to have so much extra sugar, or soy, or a whole bunch of stuff I can't pronounce. It just isn't worth the calories to me.

I do like Larabars because they are pretty "clean" .

I might have to try to make my own from one of the recipes here.