Post hysterectomy weight loss?

Options
I had a partial hysterectomy a year ago ( one ovary remaining) and have been actively trying to lose weight again for the last several months. I turned to mfp about a month ago and after initial weight loss of about 7 pounds, it has stalled. Worried that my calories were too low I have upped them on the advice of my personal trainer, but I was wondering if there are any other post hysterectomy ladies out there experiencing difficulty or differences in losing weight. Prior to the surgery I lost 45 pounds that came off regularly, and everything just seems different now. Interested to hear others' experiences.
Thanks, and good luck on your journey!

Replies

• mamamadusa
    mamamadusa Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I don't have an answer as I had mine done the same day you posted but am interested on the surgery's impact on future weight loss. I also only have one ovary now and was wondering if that has caused you any hormonal issues?
  • skhaun
    skhaun Posts: 8
    Options
    I had my hysterectomy 3 years ago- both ovaries removed. I am finally starting to lose weight because of a lower carb diet.I know it took me at least a year to feel like myself again.I gained 10 lbs after my surgery-adding to the 40 I had. I am on hormone patches so I don't know if it's the estrogen or getting older but I am finding it harder to lose. I am trying just proteins, veggies, and fruits ( no carbs, processed foods, dairy) not easy but I am getting over food cravings and have lost 12 lbs. So far this and and lifting weights 2-3 times a week have brought me down a pant size so I am sticking with it. Don't give up - if something isn't working, try something else.
  • cecpetzzz
    cecpetzzz Posts: 4
    Options
    I gained about 15 lbs since having my hysterectomy 6 years ago and cannot seem to lose it. I am gaining around the waistline, which I never gained in that area before!
    I do not want to starve or deprive myself, but I am not eating huge amounts or "bad" food. Just can't figure out what to do to get this weight off!! Im using transdermal bio-identical hormones.
  • DesignerJojo
    DesignerJojo Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    @mamamadusa, I haven't really experienced any hormonal changes to speak of. The biggest thing for me has been suffering PMS and not knowing it of course because there is no longer any 'M' in the equation. So I will either be a raving mad b**ch or in tears for a few days before I realize what's going on. The biggest thing has been weight gain and not able to lose in the way I had prior to surgery.

Thanks also to those who have shared...it helps to know we aren't alone in the struggle. I think I am going to have my personal trainer (who happens to be my best friend) take an in depth look at things and do some research to see if we can't figure out what's blocking progress. If we figure something out I'll let you know.
  • difabu
    difabu Posts: 143
    Options
    I'm 1.5 years post-partial-hysterectomy and I've noticed that it's been much harder to lose weight. Losing 2-3 pounds each week with nothing but an hour on the elliptical most days was a breeze before. Yes, I'm older. But I'm working out like I've never done before in my life and it's been such a slllloooowwww process and I struggle to not become discouraged. But I keep on keeping on and, once school is out for the summer and no longer stressed out with the class-from-hell, I feel I can focus on getting more tight with my nutrition (I don't "diet").
  • Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I'm nearly 10 years post full hysterectomy. I gained about 20 pounds after the surgery. I'm on HRT and it took a few years to get it finalized on the right amount and treatment. During that time I was SO FRUSTRATED that I couldn't lose the weight or the size. I had a "pooch" of a tummy and it drove me nuts. Part of it is that your body just went through a HUGE trauma and it's healing. But have faith! You CAN fix it! See the pics on my page (never mind the big scar on my tummy now...). Perserverence and will....and logging and calorie counting and cardio and weight-training. Okay, I admit that I did more weight training than cardio, but it IS possible!

Edit: be aware if you weren't already, that your cholesterol levels will probably rise.....
  • mandfree
    mandfree Posts: 15
    Options
    I had a hysterectomy in October and was so miserable during my recovery that I promised myself I would lose weight when I was healed from my surgery. I have lost 15 since then and have struggled but I have always struggled unfortunately:( Maybe someone has some really helpful tips for us. Good luck.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I am 41, and had a partial hysterectomy last year (kept ovaries, but had half my cervix removed )
    I lost the weight just fine- I just had 15 pounds to lose thouugh.
    I use the TDEE -20% method. Now I am just getting down a few more prevents in my body fat with weight lifting and a -10% of my TDEE.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    I have not had one personally but my mom did she got pretty depressed for quite awhile slept a LOT she struggled a lot with her weight she started running again it not only helped with her depression but she lost quite a lot of weight. She eats healthy and works out she has done amazing things for herself I am very proud.
  • zornig
    zornig Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I'm 39 and had a hysterectomy (everything but the ovaries gone) about 10 months ago. It has taken me FOREVER to get my energy and endurance back, and I seem to have packed on about 15 pounds since the operation. My body completely changed shape after the surgery, and that's taken a bit of getting used to as well. I started exercising for real about 5 months ago, and just started dieting again. The weight is not melting off, that's for sure, but I just figure I have to tough it out--it can happen! At least that's what I keep telling myself. I think we just have to be patient, stay the course, and not get discouraged if we only lose .5 pounds per week (or less). Every little bit helps.

Also, I love that there's a thread about this. If any post-hysterectomy ladies want to become MFP friends, just drop a line!
  • alipene
    alipene Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I had a full hysterectomy a year ago tomorrow and have lost 16lbs since. I made a point of losing weight before the op because of all the stories I read about weight gain, so I'd already lost 10lbs. I was very careful with my diet post op when I couldn't exercise. I started riding again at 14 weeks post op, and also entered a HM at that point to force myself to do more exercise. I'd never run before. I completed the HM in March. I'm currently the lightest I've been since I was a teenager. I've even lost the 'apron'. There is definitely life after hysterectomy if you take control :happy:
  • Wanting2BSkinny
    Options
    bump