Sweet Onions

Options
MzBug
MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
My brother sent me half a dozen Walla Walla Sweet Onions! Ohhhh they are the best! I have so many that I need some recipes to use them in! Any one have a good onion soup recipe? I already froze some chopped, made spaghetti sauce, and made the boyfriend onion rings. I have 2 large ones left, any other suggestions?

Thanks

Replies

• cathleen4h
    cathleen4h Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Paula Deen has a great one. Not too bad on the calories either. I cut some of the butter out. It needs the wine though. Try looking it up on foodnetwork.com
  • Samantharose8akaDebbie
    Options
    This sounded really good: Ingredients:
    •4 large Vidalia onions
    •1/4 cup cold butter, cut into pieces
    •1 teaspoon salt
    •1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    •1 cup shredded (fresh) Parmesan cheese
    Preparation:
    Peel onions, leaving roots intact. Cut each onion into eighths, cutting just to the root, but not through. Place each onion on a lightly greased square of foil. Press butter into onions, then sprinkle with salt, pepper, and cheese. Wrap in the foil then arrange in a 13 x 9-inch baking pan. Bake at 400 for about 1 hour.
    Serves 4.
  • Samantharose8akaDebbie
    Options
    This one too: Just don't do the heavy cream - light cream:)

World's Best Baked Onions
    This recipe is from our Splendid Cheap Eats collection of affordable recipes. Browse the collection.

Adapted from Happy Days with the Naked Chef by Jamie Oliver (Hyperion, 2002). Copyright 2002 by Jamie Oliver.

Serves 4

I've found it. The best onion recipe—it's smashing, pukka, the absolute dog's kahunas! I love it served with cod, but it's also great with roast chicken. You've got to try it.

•4 tennis-ball-sized white onions, peeled

•Olive oil

•2 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely chopped

•4 twigs of fresh rosemary, lower leaves picked and chopped

•8 tablespoons heavy cream

•A couple handfuls of grated Parmesan cheese

•Sea salt

•Freshly ground black pepper
    v4 slices of pancetta or bacon
    Boil the onions in plenty of water for 15 minutes until slightly tender. Remove from the pan and allow to cool. Then, with a sharp knife, remove the top inch of each onion, finely chop and place to one side. If need be, slightly trim the stalk end of the onions so that they will sit flat on a roasting tray. Cut about a heaping tablespoon out from the inside of each onion, keeping the outside intact. Finely chop and add to the rest of the chopped onion.

Preheat the oven to 400°F. Heat a frying pan and add a little olive oil, your garlic, the chopped onions, and just a little chopped rosemary. Fry for a couple of minutes until softened, then turn the heat down, add the cream and remove from the heat. Stir in the Parmesan and season.

I like to wrap a nice slice of pancetta around the middle of each onion and just spike it in place with a sharpened twig of rosemary or wooden toothpick. The rosemary and pancetta will make the onion taste lovely as it cooks. Place the onions on a roasting tray and spoon some of the chopped onion mixture inside each one. Bake in the preheated oven for around 25 minutes until soft and tender, depending on the size of the onions. It's cool to experiment with different cheeses, so give it a bash.

Browse the Griller's Chronicles, our special site for summer grilling, featuring recipes from Lynne's kitchen, along with tips and wisdom from the grill masters.

Or return to The Recipe Box
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Hungry Girl has some great onion rings - baked - that she uses Fiber One cereal too. They are great.

www.hungry-girl.com

Lord of the Onion Rings 2.0

PER SERVING (entire recipe): 155 calories, 1g fat, 515mg sodium, 41g carbs,
    16g fiber, 7g sugars, 9g protein -- POINTS® value 2*

Originally, we were pretty laid back about the amount of spices in this recipe.
    These days, we're not taking any chances. No one likes under-seasoned
    onion rings...

Ingredients:
    1 large onion
    1/2 cup Fiber One bran cereal (original)
    1/2 cup fat-free liquid egg substitute (like Egg Beaters Original)
    1/4 tsp. garlic powder, or more to taste
    1/8 tsp. onion powder, or more to taste
    1/8 tsp. salt, or more to taste
    Black pepper, to taste

Directions:
    Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Slice the ends off the onion and remove its outer layer. Cut onion into 1/2-
    inch-wide slices, and separate into rings. Set aside.

Using a blender or food processor, grind Fiber One to a breadcrumb-like
    consistency. Season the crumbs with spices and transfer to a plate.

Fill a small bowl with egg substitute. Prepare a baking sheet (or two, if you
    have a lot of rings) by spraying with nonstick spray. Set aside.

Pop-Up Tip! For this next step, try using tongs or a fork to dip the rings into
    the egg substitute and cereal crumbs -- it'll keep your fingers from getting
    eggy & crumb-covered. (Don't pierce the rings with the fork; just balance
    them on it.)

One at a time, dunk each ring in egg substitute, give it a shake to remove
    any excess, and then coat it in the seasoned crumbs. Evenly place rings on
    the baking sheet(s).

Bake in the oven for 20 - 25 minutes, carefully flipping rings over about
    halfway through. Enjoy!

MAKES 1 SERVING

HG FYI! You'll only need about 1/4 cup egg substitute to coat your rings, but
    using 1/2 cup makes it soooo much easier.
  • lynzt16
    lynzt16 Posts: 48
    Options
    bump
  • littletiger972000
    Options
    I like to just cut them in wedges, brush on a little olive oil, season w/ salt and pepper and grill them. Yummy!