Depression Related NSV

Options
bonitacash08
bonitacash08 Posts: 378 Member
I've posted before about my issues with major depression. I've done therapy and 4 different anti-depressants in the last 3 years. I reached my ultimate lowest in 2012, about 6 months before joining this site. I just wanted to give an update!!

1. Since being on this site, I've managed to lose about 20 lbs (I haven't checked the scale since I started lifting 3 weeks ago) out of my goal of 40.
2. My untreated depression led to me almost failing out of college last year. I'm going to graduate this Sunday (UNLV, Go Rebels!) with a BSBA in International Business.
3. I still have bad days, but overall I've been happy for a long time now.
4. I work out instead of eat/sleep when I feel down.
5. My pets (1yo pitbull and 1yo kitten) are a HUGE reason for my happiness and success. My kitten is a love muffin and my puppy gets me off my butt every day

:smile: Anybody else have depression related NSVs?

Replies

• AyaKara
    AyaKara Posts: 220
    Options
    You go girl! I deal with depression too. I haven't had any episodes in over a year. I understand how you're feeling -- especially with cutie animals to keep you company. Keep it up! :flowerforyou:
  • eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Yes!! I know how hard it is to get moving and take care of yourself when you are depressed. This is a huge accomplishment! You are awesome!

*And it's amazing what some animal cuddle time can do, no?
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Good going!
  • llpaq
    llpaq Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    This has to be the best NSV ever!!! Way to GO!!!!! You're pretty amazing and I wish you continued Good Health and Happiness!!! You ABSOLUTELY deserve it!!!! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Woot woot! 3&4 are so important for avoiding that spiral back into the dark places - keep it up!
  • SlimJanette
    SlimJanette Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I can relate to the depression, the past few years have been hard, but this past March was the worst. A few time I had thought of terrible options and decided I needed to move on and get healthy. I refuse to take pills, I try to work through it and talk about my issues. I find working out has helped me with my feelings.

Congrats on your graduation!
  • ChangingAmanda
    ChangingAmanda Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I finally confessed to my parents how I was feeling, mid-July last year. I had put up a good front whenever I was around people but at home I was pretty much a basket case. Didn't want to do anything but ignore life and immerse myself in TV. I was eating my emotions and gaining weight. I didn't care about my bills and ignored all collection calls, didn't answer the door whenever someone rang the bell before about 7pm because I was afraid it'd be someone there to give me papers. It was just easier to be an ostrich about my financial situation than to face it. In the end, I did lose my home, but honestly it has been the best thing. One of the contributing factors was how unhappy I was about buying the place and dealing with the ignorant, rude, inconsiderate neighbors. I'm so much happier in the past 3 months living in my little apartment than I was for 4 years in the townhome.

I went to see my doctor in July and nearly 3 months after I started on an anti-depressant, I started MFP. I'm eating better and working out 5 days a week. I've been more successful losing weight this time around than before and I attribute a lot of it to a better mental status. I have an appointment with my doctor in a couple weeks to talk about if/when would be possible to stop the medication.
  • Symphony2010
    Symphony2010 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    My NSV is that I went outside 3 days in a row! It's been a long time since I've been outside.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,365 Member
    Options
    My NSV is that I went outside 3 days in a row! It's been a long time since I've been outside.

That is excellent news! I don't much like going outside by myself. I'm not too bad in town, but in the countryside I feel very vulnerable. I usually wait for my husband to come outside with me, even just into the garden.

Since I lost weight a real phobia about music in restaurants and shops has got much better- almost gone. It was stopping me living a normal life. I. Still don't like it, but I don't have a panic attack.
  • accedere
    accedere Posts: 4
    Options
    Fantastic news for you. And it gives me hope.
    Thank you & bravo too!!!
  • abigailtabby
    Options
    Great posts! I don't know what an "NSV" is but I've suffered from depression all my life. Was on anti-depressants for 15 years, quick taking them because they quit working, and then had some major, bad life changing events that spiraled me into a black hole. For way too long, I've sat in my room, watching TV, playing computer games and drinking. A little over a year ago I had lost so much weight from not eating (alchohol abuse) that I developed numerous health problems and alcoholic neuropathy - which is nerve damage in the feet and is very painful. After many doctor's visits and confessing to family about my drinking problem, I quit drinking and started trying to eat again (food was repulsive). But I fell into a hole again, started drinking again and was chasing it with sweet ice tea instead of diet pepsi and proceeded to become a recluse again. I've gained 40 pounds since my relapse and was at a point that I would not leave the house, mostly because I was drunk all the time and also didn't have any clothes that fit. This was all because of depression and alchohol just makes it worse.

Last week I had an epiphany of some sort, quit drinking, suffered through 2 days of withdrawal and started my life over. They key seems to be that first thing in the morning I get up and take my B Complex Vitamins - these always make me feel better and seem to take care of any depressive mood immediately. I take several other supplements as well, but these seem to be the most important ones. I've been sober for over a week, went out and bought some new clothes, have been up and active, and started changing my eating habits so I can lose this weight. I have never been this heavy in my life. So I consider this a HUGE success - I working towards losing the weight but what gets me through each day is knowing that I'm not drinking. The drinking, gallon of sweet tea every day and bad food choices are what put on the weight, so not doing those things will hopefully take it off.
  • Imaginary1
    Imaginary1 Posts: 16
    Options
    Congrats! I know how hard it can be, I have major depression and severe anxiety. It caused me to drop out of college. I am so glad you didn't give up though! Good for you! :)
  • FitToBeKim
    FitToBeKim Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I am SO PROUD of ALL of you !!!!!!! I too am a severe depression/anxiety/bi polar/ agorophobia survivor !

I know how hard it is to answer that door, or phone, or go out of the house.

I am now losing weight, taking only 3 meds instead of 14, and I go out and about all the time.
    I am a functioning person ! (Thank God) !

It is a struggle every day but so worth it when you do.

Add me if you want.

I just want you all to know I am so proud of you !!! Keep up the GREAT work !!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!