What will give the best results? opinions? :)

Options
My goal for the rest of this year is to pretty much to lower my body fat percentage and matain my muscle if not gain more, would this work better if I did cardio one day and weight training the next or if I do cardio in the morning and weight training in the late afternoon, or what is everyones opinion? :) P.s I think I need to lose about 5kg and I don't think I'd be capable of losing much more than that haha, all advice will be appreciated:)

Replies

• michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I'd say just lift and reduce your intake to a 10% cut from TDEE. Go here and put all your info in to find your calorie target: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

If you want to add a bit of cardio, add 20 minutes of HIIT a couple of days a week.
  • Tricep_A_Tops
    Tricep_A_Tops Posts: 319
    Options
    I lift 4 days per week and run 4 miles twice per week. But like mentioned above, just reduce your calorie intake.
  • youmadbrah123
    Options
    I've been eating around 1400 - 1600 everyday for a month so I don't understand why I'm not losing a ton of body fat but I guess everthing takes ALOT of time
  • michellekicks
    Options
    I've been eating around 1400 - 1600 everyday for a month so I don't understand why I'm not losing a ton of body fat but I guess everthing takes ALOT of time

I'm sure that's too little for you. Your body is fighting you. That's too little for me and I'm a 5'7", 37-year old woman.
  • kuntry_navy
    kuntry_navy Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    i've gotten down to my lowest bodyfat by carb-cycling. needless to say, i gained it back when i started eating around my calorie range to maintain. but, calorie defecit will give you longer lasting results. bigmack is right, a grown man should definitely be above 1400-1600, unless youre 5 foot even
  • youmadbrah123
    Options
    Hahaha well I'm to scared to up my calories incase I gain weight but I think I might give it a try and if it goes good then continue with it for a month and see if I get any results
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Hahaha well I'm to scared to up my calories incase I gain weight but I think I might give it a try and if it goes good then continue with it for a month and see if I get any results
    The two best methods for calculating calories are the Harris-Benedict and Katch-Mcardle. I can guarantee that both of them will calculate your daily calories to be be above 1600.
    When to do cardio is not really that big of deal. The only time I wouldn't do it is before lifting.
  • BonaFideUK
    BonaFideUK Posts: 313 Member
    Options

Unless you're pretty short, that amount of calories, for a guy your size (in the pictures) is far too little. You're probably losing strength, fat and muscle with that calorie intake. I recommend figuring out your TDEE properly then deduct 10%. Weigh yourself every week and see if it is working.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options

I'm sure that's too little for you. Your body is fighting you. That's too little for me and I'm a 5'7", 37-year old woman.

Yup! I am a 42 year old 125 pound female and eat 2000 a day to LOSE (VERY slowy, of course) weight. It is a 10% deficit from my TDEE. I weight train 3x a week for 90 minutes each time (some cardio warmup built into that 90 minutes) and I take an occassional week completely off from weight training and run for fun instead.
  • youmadbrah123
    Options
    I want to maintain (or gain) muscle and lose body fat could somebody please tell me how many calories I need to do that? 5 days a week I'll be doing cardio/lifting weights. I entered it into the calculator but always get different results on differerent ones on the internet and I feel like I just need a second opinion on this. Please just take a couple of minutes out of your day to make mine :D

My stats are

81kg

180cm

don't know much else :P
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I want to maintain (or gain) muscle and lose body fat could somebody please tell me how many calories I need to do that? 5 days a week I'll be doing cardio/lifting weights. I entered it into the calculator but always get different results on differerent ones on the internet and I feel like I just need a second opinion on this. Please just take a couple of minutes out of your day to make mine :D

My stats are

81kg

180cm

don't know much else :P

The calculator that is most accurate for me is the Scooby one : http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/
  • michellekicks
    Options
    With that info, your BMR is 1850. Your TDEE if you lift 3-5 hours/week is estimated at about 2868 calories daily. A 10% cut brings you to 2581 calories daily. You could take it as far as a 15% cut to 2400-ish if you really want to cut fat but you won't put on any muscle unless you're a new lifter with that much of a deficit. Best thing for putting on muscle while cutting fat is to eat right around TDEE and just bring your lean mass up to where your weight actually stays the same. Then you'd be eating 2800 calories daily while lifting 3-5 hours/week.

Try eating 2500 calories/day for 4 weeks and lift 4 times a week for 75 minutes. Take your weight, your measurements and a before photo. Then compare after. See if that helps.
  • youmadbrah123
    Options
    Thankyou so much I'll go by that for the next few weeks and see how it goes, tbh I don't know how I'm going to eat that many calories but I'll try !
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Going by your height, weight, age and activity level you need about 2867 calories to keep your muscle mass and lose about 5% b/f. If you want to increase muscle mass add about 150-200 calories to this.
  • belle_of_the_bar
    belle_of_the_bar Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Whole milk.