Fat burning or fitness hr which is better??

Options
I am trying to tone up and loose weight. Can anyone tell me if doing fat burning or fitness on an elliptical really makes a difference. Just got my HRM a couple of days ago and if I actually do fat burning on the elliptical I feel like I am hardly moving and the machine actually goes to pause, every now and again because it is so slow. I am also weight training 3x a week

Replies

• ygrmstr
    ygrmstr Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    As long as your heart rate is in the "fat burning zone" you should be good to go!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Depends.

Are we talking about a fixed amount of time, or a fixed amount of cals? i.e. are you working out for the same amount of time regardless, or are you working out however long it takes to burn a set amount of cals.

Most people are doing the first (a set amount of time), in which case you should be going as hard as you can for that time to burn the most cals.
  • abbyrae1
    abbyrae1 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    This is why I'm a big fan of HIIT cardio exercises because you get a good mix of both. You can do this on the elliptical too; do 30 seconds high intensity, 30 seconds recovery, and repeat. Make sure your heart rate comes down during your recovery and shoots back up during the high points; as you go through the workout you can increase to 45 seconds, 1 minute, 90 seconds, etc. and work back down.
  • DeeDiddyGee
    DeeDiddyGee Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I think what your are driving at is, "will I still lose weight if I am in fitness mode" or do I need to stay in "fat burning" mode?

You will still burn fat if you are in "fitness mode." I would work as hard as you can. I have heard that, for women, 50 minutes is about max when doing cardio for the workout to not be "counterproductive."
  • joe_d
    joe_d Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    The term "fat-burning zone" is really misleading. Google around to check out what's been written about it.

My understanding of it is this: While you work in the fat burning zone, it's true that a greater percentage of your calorie burn is coming from fat compared with the "fitness/cardio zone. However, you're working harder in the fitness/cardio zone and you'll burn more calories there. Even though the percentage of those coming from fat is less than the fitness zone, if you work out for the same amount of time, you'll probably going to burn more total fat calories in the fitness/cardio zone...many more if you really push it.

You'll have to work up to being in the fitness zone for your entire workout (I always do a light warm up for a few minutes before heading for the higher zone), and of course you should be cleared for strenuous exercise by your doctor.

Get some great tunes on your workout playlists, and enjoy the elliptical at whatever zone you choose to use!
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    At the risk of splitting hairs...

You don't burn fat regardless of your HR zone. You burn calories. Where those calories come from (fat, muscle, etc etc) depends more on recent diet than it does HR zone.

Just get in your workout, go as hard as you can for as long as you can and stop over complicating it.
  • channy70
    channy70 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I purchased a hr monitor about 2wks ago and I am never in the fat burning zone, most of the time my monitor reads hi, but I just work hard for that set time and count the calories at the end.
  • drefaw
    drefaw Posts: 739
    Options

You don't burn fat regardless of your HR zone. You burn calories. Where those calories come from (fat, muscle, etc etc) depends more on recent diet than it does HR zone.

Just get in your workout, go as hard as you can for as long as you can and stop over complicating it.

^^ end of discussion^^
  • lhourin
    lhourin Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Agree with Jacksonpt: The fat-burning zone is total BS. Work as hard as you can for the best results possible. You "fat-burning zone" is actually highest at rest...if that tells you anything. Burning MORE calories and working harder is always going to end up "burning" more fat.
    For what it's worth, if I stayed in my "fat-burning zone" I wouldn't even sweat.
  • gddrdld
    gddrdld Posts: 464 Member
    Options

^^This^^. You should be exercising at the level that is challenging for you based on your "percieved effort" not what the machine tells you. Try higher intensity intervals mixed with lower intensity intervals. In order to continue to improve your fitness level (not "just" lose weight) you need to continue to challenge yourself from both a muscular and cardiovascular standpoint.
  • mattschwartz01
    mattschwartz01 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Some new research seems to indicate that the "fat burning zone" is just one of those medical myths. I would say exercise for fitness because it makes your cardiovascular system stronger. However, do it safely with an HRM.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    The "fat burning zone" is a proven myth that exercise machine manufacturers use to sell their machines. Do what you feel comfortable with. You will lose weight regardless of the intensity as long as you eat at a calorie deficit. Also, the calories that most of the machines will read off as having been burned are usually way off. Do a bit of research on what you're likely burning or use a heart rate monitor for a more accurate estimate.
  • Daniele1213
    Daniele1213 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty much doing it by a set amount of time, 30 minutes or more.
  • Daniele1213
    Options
    Yes, that is what I mean, exactly Dee. If I do fat burning will I still lose and vice versa.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    The term "fat-burning zone" is really misleading. Google around to check out what's been written about it.

My understanding of it is this: While you work in the fat burning zone, it's true that a greater percentage of your calorie burn is coming from fat compared with the "fitness/cardio zone. However, you're working harder in the fitness/cardio zone and you'll burn more calories there. Even though the percentage of those coming from fat is less than the fitness zone, if you work ouCt for the same amount of time, you'll probably going to burn more total fat calories in the fitness/cardio zone...many more if you really push it.

You'll have to work up to being in the fitness zone for your entire workout (I always do a light warm up for a few minutes before heading for the higher zone), and of course you should be cleared for strenuous exercise by your doctor.

Get some great tunes on your workout playlists, and enjoy the elliptical at whatever zone you choose to use!

This^

That's why I hate it when my HRM tells me to "train less in zone 3". No way!!!
  • jacksonpt
    Options

My understanding of it is this: While you work in the fat burning zone, it's true that a greater percentage of your calorie burn is coming from fat compared with the "fitness/cardio zone. However, you're working harder in the fitness/cardio zone and you'll burn more calories there. Even though the percentage of those coming from fat is less than the fitness zone, if you work out for the same amount of time, you'll probably going to burn more total fat calories in the fitness/cardio zone...many more if you really push it.

Yes, this is the generally understood/accepted explanation of what's happening.

The problem is that the body is constantly shuttling calories/energy throughout the day. To say you are burning a certain type of calories without any mention of diet is, at the very least, misleading.

If I have an energy bar 20 minutes before my workout, it doesn't matter what HR zone I work out in... I'm going to be burning off that energy bar.
  • Daniele1213
    Options
    Okay, thanks everyone.
  • jennifershoo
    Options

The problem is that the body is constantly shuttling calories/energy throughout the day. To say you are burning a certain type of calories without any mention of diet is, at the very least, misleading.

If I have an energy bar 20 minutes before my workout, it doesn't matter what HR zone I work out in... I'm going to be burning off that energy bar.

Really? Are you sure about that? Because if it's true, then what's the point of working out if we're just going to burn the food we just ate? We should all train fasted to burn fat, then?
  • jacksonpt
    Options

Really? Are you sure about that? Because if it's true, then what's the point of working out if we're just going to burn the food we just ate? We should all train fasted to burn fat, then?
    No, because again, exercise doesn't born fat, it burns calories. Where those calories cone from varies. You need to think about things differently.

A calorie deficit leads to weight loss. period. exercise can contribute to that deficit, but it isn't required.

Far too many people are fixated on the idea that more exercise = more weight loss. Its not the increased exercise, its the increased deficit.

If people would use diet to control weight and use exercise to get stronger, faster, and influence body composition, not only would they be healthier, but they would probably see better results.
  • jennifershoo
    Options

No, because again, exercise doesn't born fat, it burns calories. Where those calories cone from varies. You need to think about things differently.

A calorie deficit leads to weight loss. period. exercise can contribute to that deficit, but it isn't required.

Far too many people are fixated on the idea that more exercise = more weight loss. Its not the increased exercise, its the increased deficit.

If people would use diet to control weight and use exercise to get stronger, faster, and influence body composition, not only would they be healthier, but they would probably see better results.

Thanks for your explanation. I understand and agree with you!