Is it bad to eat before a cardio workout?

Options

Replies

• MissNova
    MissNova Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    No, some people say it is actually good because you are burning calories while you work out.
  • twingirls05
    Options
    I guess it just depends. If I eat, it needs to be at least 1.5-2 hours before an intense cardio workout. If I feel like I need something right before, it's something very light that won't sit heavy in my stomach. I need time for my food to digest b/f I go jiggling all around during a work out!
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options

Yes, it is bad, the reason being that your heart is already working to digest your grub, if you do cardio on top of that it is a strain on your heart and other organs that are already working hard.

At least two hours are recommended to wait until you do cardio. Everybody will do things their own way though.
  • shimacrema
    Options
    I would definetly say its personal preference!
    I actually can't workout on an empty stomach. If I do I will throw up and just feel aweful. Plus their isn't any energy their because their isnt any food in your system. Thus resulting in you not being able to bring it! I eat a lite meal which is usually my Shakeology or a protein shake, Then 30 minutes later I bring it!. Find what works for you and work from their.

Here is a great article that explains why it is best to eat before you do cardio. Hope it helps

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/topicoftheweek34.htm

Shima
  • Michaela722
    Options
    For me, it depends on the workout. If I'm going to run 10 miles, I do eat something before. If I'm going to run 3-4 miles, I don't.