What options instead of squats?

Options
Hi everyone.

I have a huge problem when it comes to squats. I've got a badly damaged ankle from an accident years ago that has bony spurs inhibiting movement as well as arthritis. Trying to do squats is so painful.

I really want to improve my legs though. The rest of me is toning up nicely.

Are there good alternatives for toning legs (either seated or on a bed maybe...?)?

Oh, and I can't kneel either because of haematomas on my shins.

Replies

• kirk_clawson
    kirk_clawson Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Leg Press, though with your limited ankle mobility, even that might be too much. In a pinch, you could do leg curls, glute kickbacks, and quad extensions (you can Google those to find examples of each if you don't know what they are).

The quad extensions could be a problem with your shin haematomas, if they're on the lower front of your shins. The quad extension requires you to hook your foot under a padded bar in a seated position, then straighten your leg. The mechanics of most machines will cause the padded bar to roll upwards along your shin a few inches.

Doing these exercises will of course take longer than a set of squats, plus with squats you'll get lower back and ab work done from the general support role they provide, so you'll have to pay more attention to them in your accessory workouts.

All of this requires access to a gym with the proper equipment, as well.

I'm not really knowledgeable enough to comment on non-equipment workouts for these areas, but you might try some lying bicycles (lie on your back, ankles in the air with your knees bent, and move your legs like you're pedaling)
  • CWarshawsky
    Options
    I can't do squats because of my knees. So, I am doing a Hula Hoop challenge with my freinds. We have 4 weeks to learn and than we will see who can Hula the longest. Its fun and a workout..
  • AmberleyAngel
    AmberleyAngel Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Leg Press, though with your limited ankle mobility, even that might be too much. In a pinch, you could do leg curls, glute kickbacks, and quad extensions (you can Google those to find examples of each if you don't know what they are).

The quad extensions could be a problem with your shin haematomas, if they're on the lower front of your shins. The quad extension requires you to hook your foot under a padded bar in a seated position, then straighten your leg. The mechanics of most machines will cause the padded bar to roll upwards along your shin a few inches.

Doing these exercises will of course take longer than a set of squats, plus with squats you'll get lower back and ab work done from the general support role they provide, so you'll have to pay more attention to them in your accessory workouts.

All of this requires access to a gym with the proper equipment, as well.

I'm not really knowledgeable enough to comment on non-equipment workouts for these areas, but you might try some lying bicycles (lie on your back, ankles in the air with your knees bent, and move your legs like you're pedaling)

Thanks. I don't have access to a gym, but you've still given me some things to look at. Much appreciated.
  • AmberleyAngel
    Options
    I can't do squats because of my knees. So, I am doing a Hula Hoop challenge with my freinds. We have 4 weeks to learn and than we will see who can Hula the longest. Its fun and a workout..

That sounds a cool way to get more exercise. I take it that it's good for legs...? I can imagine it'd be wonderful for hips and waist.
  • averytds
    averytds Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Not sure if it's helpful to you or not, but I'm currently rehabbing my ankle and doing squats. I don't get the full range of motion on the weighted, no ATG yet, but am now at least getting to parallel. I wear compression socks and get an alleve and ibuprophen beforehand, ice after. Bodyweight squats I was doing holding on and in a doorway, now using a pole for balance. I start with bodyweight, then do the weighted, then finish with bodyweight. I only did the bodyweight for a long time though. The more I do and the longer I do them, the lower I get. I've gained flexibility and the pain is lessening at least a bit. Sorry I don't still have it, but I know I found the link through mfp so maybe someone else does. There's a link to somewhere with a lot of squat variations. I found it very helpful. I also prefer the squats to a lot of the ankle exercises the doctors started me with.
  • AmberleyAngel
    Options
    Thanks avery, I will do a search. :)
  • JAMProphet
    JAMProphet Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    If then ankle pain doesn't inhibit it, you may want to up your cardio- perhaps walking a bunch. You'd be surprised how much you can burn by walking- Alot of the champion bodybuilders use low intensity cardio like walking to tone and burn fat. It won't necessarily give you everything that squats would, but it will workout your legs some
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    here's a version of te bridge using a resistance band around the legs
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYoi0gP6lD8
    i would start just using your body weight, then use the band when bw is too easy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMQ-SZdNG44

bridges and the more advanced version in the vid above,
    are done laying down. i'm not sure if you can do the plate version or not?
    but if you can, it's very challenging. which is good, bc quickly
    the standard bridge is too easy.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    If then ankle pain doesn't inhibit it, you may want to up your cardio- perhaps walking a bunch. You'd be surprised how much you can burn by walking- Alot of the champion bodybuilders use low intensity cardio like walking to tone and burn fat. It won't necessarily give you everything that squats would, but it will workout your legs some

cardio doesn't build muscle, which is what tone is supposed to mean. and it doesn't burn fat either.
  • averytds
    averytds Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Here's a link to some seated leg toning exercises. Many are included in my physical therapy instructions as well. http://www.wikihow.com/Tone-Legs-While-Sitting

I'll bet there are several resistance exercises for the legs that can be done with resistance bands too. Maybe some of them would work well for you. Anything laying down, I would do on the bed. (I still can't get up without assistance, so any floor work I adapt to the bed.) Hamstring curls? Leg extensions? Probably mostly isolated versus multiple muscle,but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. Ah, here's a bunch. http://www.bodylastics.com/legs/

Adapt when and where you need to. Personally my doctors are fully on board with the resistance training. They say it will help more fully rehab the injury and also should help prevent future new ones.

Good luck.
  • AmberleyAngel
    Options
    Awesome. Thanks so much everyone for the suggestions. I'm sure I can glean enough from those to at least feel like I'm doing something to help.

Have a great day, all. :flowerforyou: