Ladies who lift (or ride horses, or pole dance)

Options
Mouse_Potato
Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,496 Member
Okay, so I’m not really new here, but I never did introduce myself, so I guess I should. My story:

I got fat.

That’s pretty much all the salient information.
Then I found MFP, read the heck out of the forums, asked a few questions, and started to burn more than I consumed.

I got skinny fat.

Went back to the forums. Read the posts I only skimmed before. Decided maybe, just maybe, other, more successful people knew what they were talking about. Or at least knew more than my flabby self. Started to incorporate some more resistance training. Started getting results. Started really liking results! Read up on strength training. Read NROL4W cover to cover, twice. All of this has culminated in a 16 pound loss and today my first session on the “boys’ side” of the gym.

By the time we finished I was pouring sweat and I thought I might hurl. I still can’t move my legs the way nature intended. I think I’m hooked.

So, any ladies who lift (or ride horses, or pole dance – my other fitness passions), I would love to be your friend! Gentlemen, too, but you probably won’t get quite as excited when I finally deadlift a whole 60 pounds. I know. I’m a beast. A BEAST, I tell you!

Mind you, I’m not much of a cheerleader. I don’t applaud every walk to the mailbox and I will NEVER give you a “WTG” if you’ve netted 248 calories for the day, but I’m here every day and I’m ready and willing to work my tummy off (quite okay with my booty, thanks). Let the love pour forth. :flowerforyou:

Replies

• kayleeblue
    kayleeblue Posts: 273
    Options
    Hey.. Good Job! I lift heavy,,have had horses for many years, and pole dancing is on my bucket list!! I have been working out for 2.5 years and still have a long way to go...you can add me if you would like.. Now that I have my workouts figured out, I'm working on the nutrition part. Trying to figure out what will work for me.
  • Surisaddai
    Surisaddai Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I just added you :D Let's be friends!
  • Mouse_Potato
    Options
    Added both of you. Thank you, ladies! :smile:
  • AnnaMolly17
    AnnaMolly17 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I'm a lady who lifts, you're a lady who lifts = We're friends, let's make it official. haha Friend request sent!
  • craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    No judgement here!

A 60lb deadlift is ALOT more than no deadlift at all! :smokin:
  • Mouse_Potato
    Options
    Anna - Added. :smile:

Craigmandu - I did 55 pounds today. I could see the fear in the men's eyes. :laugh:
  • belle_of_the_bar
    belle_of_the_bar Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I'm starting stronglift 5x5 on Monday, so I will be with you on the deadlift celebration. : )
  • workaholic_nurse
    workaholic_nurse Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Women who lift rock! I don't care if it is the 10 pound dumbbells or if you can deadlift more than me, you rock!:glasses:

PS friend request sent...I don't now nor will I ever do pole dancing however!:drinker:
  • belle_of_the_bar
    Options
    Women who lift rock! I don't care if it is the 10 pound dumbbells or if you can deadlift more than me, you rock!:glasses:

PS friend request sent...I don't now nor will I ever do pole dancing however!:drinker:

Oh come on! Dudes can totally pole dance! Kevin James did it.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Options

Added. Love the support!

That made me lol! He really did rock that pole, didn't he?
  • craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Options

Craigmandu - I did 55 pounds today. I could see the fear in the men's eyes. :laugh:

When I first started squatting in 1992...I was doing bar + 15s to start...cause I just didn't really know what I was doing, and a buddy of mine who was a veteran "coaching" me wanted it very light to work on form. A couple of guys gave some weird looks....but after a few years when that was well over 300, I oddly enough wasn't getting weird looks anymore...

We all start somewhere. I can't wait to get to it again...been out for almost 15 years now, and believe me I won't start off with much more than you are doing. It's all good! :smokin:
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options

Hey, progress is progress. I started with just the bar. I am up to 180, 5 sets of 5 reps. You will get there!
  • swweetpea
    swweetpea Posts: 20
    Options
    Added you :) I've just started with weights about a month ago, I'd love to have a few more ladies (and gents) who lift on my dash - feel free to add me, anyone else!
  • belle_of_the_bar
    Options

That made me lol! He really did rock that pole, didn't he?

Oh he did indeed. It was pretty awesome. :laugh:
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Best thread I've seen in the forums all week. Rock on, OP, rock on.
  • stepheatscake
    stepheatscake Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    hahaha i love how you said I will not applause every walk to the mailbox. So so funny and darn TRUE.
  • stepheatscake
    stepheatscake Posts: 167 Member
    Options

DARN RIGHT.
  • dianamatienzo
    dianamatienzo Posts: 127
    Options
    You go, girl! That's so exciting to hear other women becoming empowered by weight training ^_^ I love improving my body every day, and weight training is something I work on every single day. It's my eating that keeps me from physical progress lately, but I'm getting better and stronger every day :) Feel free to add me!
  • YolieCreator
    YolieCreator Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I've been easing into weights. I've hurt myself in the past and trying to take it easy so I don't over do it again. Caregiver to my disabled husband and have a 5 yr old at home. I love the gym and have upped my weights twice since starting 2 months ago.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

DARN RIGHT.

I second this x1000000000000000....