Have you lost weight eating "junk food"?

Options

Replies

• slendercurves
    slendercurves Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I love Smarties!

Peanut Butter M&Ms? I didn't know those existed...

Maybe I shouldn't be reading this message board...
  • Tonnina
    Tonnina Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Short answer is: Yes

Long answer is: Sort of

I eat what I want... popsicles, pizza, burrito, watermelon, and corn flakes were on today's menu... But instead of eating half a pizza I had 2 slices, instead of 3 cups of corn flakes with 1.5 cups of cows milk I had 1.5 cups with .75 cups coconut almond milk... I just watch my portions. I'm not going to stop eating the foods that I love... Sure this means my weight loss will be slower than people who suddenly remove all fast food from their diet... but meh, I work at a slower pace anyway!
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    I've passed my goal not being a strict clean eater. I will never be a 100% clean eater. I'm ok with that...more than ok, actually pretty happy!:happy: :heart:

I drink lots of water everyday and try to eat veggies everyday, I eat fruit, protein...and snacks...some good, some not the best. I eat goldfish crackers pretty much everyday. I eat frozen yogurt everyday too. Once a week, I'll have pizza...thin crust, and not half the pizza! I wanted to do this in a way that works for me, now and in the long run. I've lost weight before, limiting carbs or whatever but that just doesn't do it for me!
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    So my question is, have you had success in weight loss even when you fulfill your calories with "junk food"?

Affirmative! Thursdays are typically junk-food or take-out night. This week, I had chips & dip, Diet Pepsi and ice cream with chocolate syrup. I also have an iced cappuccino most nights. I credit maintenance-calorie days and my nightly treat with keeping me both sane and on track. I've lost 43 pounds since Feb 5th.

My 18-year-old daughter (who has a lot less to lose) follows pretty much the same plan, and she's lost 14 pounds in the same time frame.
  • yaseyuku
    yaseyuku Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I eat what I want as long as it fits in my macros and have been seeing progress lately. Besides for a temporary weight gain after upping calories, things have been going well. I generally eat healthy and give myself something that I want per day -- provided it fits into my calories and macros, which has yet to be a problem.

How much weight did you gain? I'm a little worried about that myself.

I hit a plateau on an unhealthy low calorie diet. Upping my calories, I gained about 2kg. Within about a week or two I started losing again. Today I'm even lower than I was on the VLCD, eating more, and generally feel better. I'm planning on upping my calories again, but only by about 100 this time, because while I had a hard time filling in the 1200 at the beginning, now I'm finding myself hungrier.

I generally eat a lot of things like tofu, kimchi, natto, fish, mini hotpots in healthier varieties, steamed vegetables, raw vegetables, fruits, organic granola, etc. I also eat things like pastas, noodles, chocolate, frozen yogurt, ice cream (tofu or regular), takoyaki, and the occasional donut or high calorie drink. Last night I had Mexican.

I just am sure to keep the portions of the "unhealthier" things smaller and fit it into my macros and daily calories. I no longer have days of just eating unlimited amounts of unhealthy things, I don't restrict myself by eating only "clean" things. I'm in this for life and know I don't want to have a life of eating only vegetables and etc -- despite how I enjoy them as well.
  • MustangUSN
    MustangUSN Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I've lost about 20 pounds in the last 6 weeks. I've been eating McDonald's at least a couple times a week (because you can't beat a 40% discount!), and I also get a free sub at work every day. I still eat pizza some days. I still eat ice cream, more often than the pizza. I'm not changing WHAT I'm eating, just how much I'm eating, and it's totally working for me.

I'm doing this same thing and it works for me. For example, I LOVE Tube Steaks...or hotdogs as those who weren't raised having to have your evening meal between hockey periods in the winter months would say. I don't eat the 260 calorie hotdogs with 200 calorie stadium buns that my hubby does. I have the Sara Lee 80 calorie bun and 40 calorie Hebrew National beef hotdog and then my favorite chilli to boot. It is a matter or portion (as quoted above) and making better choices of what I already like to eat. That will make it easier when you move from losing to maintenance.

I go to Taco Bell and eat from the Fresco menu, still having my guacamole, as well as many other places to order out or take home. I check out the websites in advance or on my cell and know what my choices are...Wendy's is easiest to use! I'm married to an Italian who has never found a pizza he doesn't like and Wednesday IS pasta night with his home made marinara. I feel great and have lost ~1.5 lbs a week since starting. I do some exercise, mostly walking, though don't kill myself in the process. The best part of it all is that I AM the one in control of my food! Good luck!
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Of c ourse you can lose weight eating junk food as long as you create a calorie deficit. But it's not healthy in the long run to eat a diet that consists primarily of junk.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I would love to be a completely "clean eater".... But I've found that I cannot manage to stay sane and on track when I limit myself to fruits, veggies, and rice (yes yes I know there are plenty of other options aside from these :P). I've found that if I allow myself something sweet at the end of the day (or a meal every few days from restaurants that fit into my macros), I'm much more likely to eat a clean meal. Today I had some pork and veggies and fruits and was able to eat a tastykake for a dessert.

So my question is, have you had success in weight loss even when you fulfill your calories with "junk food"? Whether it be mcdonalds or chocolate cake? I'm curious to see exactly how, well, "unhealthy" a person can be as long as they stick to their macros. Mostly as a mechanism for making myself feel better about not being able to keep up with all you health freaks eating salmon and quinoa day in and day out ;)

Yes, I have.
    I feel better when I eat healthier, but I do still lose.
  • msliu7911
    msliu7911 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Yes.

I have my calories set, and as long as I eat within that calorie amount or below, I've been losing. (Actually, as long as I average at or below that daily amount during the week I"m good. So.. if I go over a couple hundred calories one day but am under another, no big deal). Doesn't matter what I eat.

What does matter is how full I feel. Am I going to feel as full and satisfied eating a bag of M&Ms or cookies vs. a salad and fruit/veggies? No. So I'm probably more likely to overeat elsewhere if I'm not careful. All in moderation and you just have to stay aware and in control.
  • SZY0006
    SZY0006 Posts: 23
    Options
    While I'd love to eat nothing but healthy food, I'd lose my mind if I didn't eat some junk. I don't eat junk every day, but it's at least two or three days a week. Last week I had chocolate ice cream. Yesterday I had cake and orange pop.
  • hybridscientist
    hybridscientist Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I agree with the 'balance' thing... just for the fact that it makes you feel 100% better. occasional treats but eating well most of the time.
  • slendercurves
    slendercurves Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    It helped me to buy a food scale and divvy out my snacks. I made this decision after reading how helpful food scales are to other MFPers. I make better decisions with a scale.

For example, I buy cans of nuts or large bags of chips and split them into sandwich bags.

If it's evening and I want one more snack for the day - I may choose between a 2oz bag of nuts (300 cal) or a 1 oz bag of chips (140 cal). I'm free to get a second bag if I want, but normally I feel satisfied - not deprived at all.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    Yes, for me this has to be something I can do forever and knowing myself there's no way I can do purely clean eating. I like crap too much. Now I just work it into my calorie goal for the day. When work allows I do try to make fairly healthy meals, but doing coverages the past two/three weeks it's been everyone for themselves at my house.
  • purple4sure05
    purple4sure05 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I've lost about 20 pounds in the last 6 weeks. I've been eating McDonald's at least a couple times a week (because you can't beat a 40% discount!), and I also get a free sub at work every day. I still eat pizza some days. I still eat ice cream, more often than the pizza. I'm not changing WHAT I'm eating, just how much I'm eating, and it's totally working for me.

I'm doing this same thing and it works for me. For example, I LOVE Tube Steaks...or hotdogs as those who weren't raised having to have your evening meal between hockey periods in the winter months would say. I don't eat the 260 calorie hotdogs with 200 calorie stadium buns that my hubby does. I have the Sara Lee 80 calorie bun and 40 calorie Hebrew National beef hotdog and then my favorite chilli to boot. It is a matter or portion (as quoted above) and making better choices of what I already like to eat. That will make it easier when you move from losing to maintenance.

I go to Taco Bell and eat from the Fresco menu, still having my guacamole, as well as many other places to order out or take home. I check out the websites in advance or on my cell and know what my choices are...Wendy's is easiest to use! I'm married to an Italian who has never found a pizza he doesn't like and Wednesday IS pasta night with his home made marinara. I feel great and have lost ~1.5 lbs a week since starting. I do some exercise, mostly walking, though don't kill myself in the process. The best part of it all is that I AM the one in control of my food! Good luck!

I didn't know there were such low calorie buns and hot dogs! Definitely going to be investing in some asap. Lol.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    kfcchristmas.gif
    thats_racist.gif
  • Brownsbacker4evr
    Brownsbacker4evr Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Anytime i've ever lost weight i've done so while eating unclean. Of course, I put full effort into exercising 5 days a week, and I try to mix healthy options into my diet as well.
  • Lunachic77
    Lunachic77 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Lots of people have lost weight on junk food "diets". There is the twinkie guy, who lost 34 lbs on eating nothing but twinkies. The Starbucks lady, who lost 57 lbs eating nothing but menu items from Starbucks. And of course, who can forget Jared, the Subway guy? It's all about calorie intake, regardless of what food it is. Is it healthy in the long run? Is it maintainable? Probably not, but they are all eating "X" amount of calories in said food and therefore dropping the weight.
  • moni_tb_192
    moni_tb_192 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have... I usually eat out twice a week, although some weeks (like on holidays, or when I've got bday celebrations all week long) I've eaten pizza every day, but ALWAYS within my macros. I work out most of the days, and especially when eating out. I haven't stopped doing it because I can't be a "clean eater" 24/7, nor do I want to. You can treat yourself to food you like every now and then... just keep it under control! :)
  • Peanutbutterx
    Peanutbutterx Posts: 332
    Options
    i lost weight eating pizza and grilled cheese once a week lol also i went to a birthday party and ate SO much cake i was scared to step on the scale the next day but ending up loosing a pound.. also went out to chillis and had margaritas, A LOT of chips and queso dip, and fajitas, didnt eat the tortillas but ate all of the chicken green peppers onions sour cream and guac.. scale still said 103..
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    I eat chocolate and/or ice cream daily