Seriously about to cry...tired of the binging...

Options
okay so i'm not that big of a girl (i'm 5'6 and 145 lbs) but i am gaining weight fast cuz i keep on binging....its literally like i can't stop myself...idk how to control it or make it stop. when my husband leaves the house the first thing i htink about is what can i eat that he won't notice is gone? or how much money do i have to go down to the store real fast and buy something to eat? its driving me insane. what used to motivate me no longer does. My husband loves me no matter what size (i really mean it, hes been through many jean sizes) so theres no motivation there. Idk what to do....is there anyone out there that has gone through this or can help me out??

Replies

• whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    The reason why you are binging is because you are undereating on a regular basis. I looked at your diary. When you undereat, your body makes you want to binge to make up for the lost calories.

What you need to do is to calculate your TDEE(Total Daily Energy Expenditure) then subtract 10-15% from that number. This is the number of calories you will want to eat EVERY DAY. You need to be more consistent, that is how you will see progress.
  • nicolo333
    nicolo333 Posts: 44
    Options
    I tried doing that a while ago but I honestly could not understand that really long post that person made and it just confused me more.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    I tried doing that a while ago but I honestly could not understand that really long post that person made and it just confused me more.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/952996-level-obstacles-lose-weight-target-fat-easy?hl=Level+Obstacles:+Losing+weight

This one is easier to understand.
  • nicolo333
    nicolo333 Posts: 44
    Options
    ok so I dont want to sound dumb. i have never let myself (besides when i binge) to eat more than 1600 calories a day. more than that scares me and its telling me (i work out like 3 times a week) to eat like 1800 a day in calories...that isn't going to make me gain weight?
  • Peanutbutterx
    Peanutbutterx Posts: 332
    Options
    you have to tell yourself your doing this for you, not for him : )
  • pseudomuffin
    pseudomuffin Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I wish I could remember the title of the book I read this concept in, and if I remember it I promise I'll edit my post, but basically what I think you're doing is pushing boundaries in your relationship. You know your husband loves you no matter what size you are, but somewhere in your psyche you want to figure out just where that boundary is (when will he stop being okay with my weight gain? etc etc) which is why you're binging as soon as he leaves but you also feel guilty about it and confused as to why you're doing it in the first place. This usually is rooted in parental disapproval, like your mom made you diet at a young age or somewhere in your past love was conditional based on your weight.

This could be totally bogus for you but I found it was true for me. Being aware of it will help you stop the cycle, and loving yourself and accepting that the love you have is truly unconditional is very important :flowerforyou:
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    You need more help than you're going to find on a site like this. You have an eating disorder, and you need the help of a therapist.
  • gracetillman
    gracetillman Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I looked at your food journals as well and I am going to hope you just forgot to log in the rest of the food you were supposed to have eaten. Coming up short 500 calories a day is not a safe way to lose weight. Moreover it does not look like you are eating a large volume of food which may be more filling and cut down on the desire to binge -- many of your food choices (like pizza and cupcakes) may also be trigger foods for some people (myself among them) unless I also eat other filling items like a salad or veggies.

When I feel like going crazy eating it is usually because I have not had a satisfying volume of food for the day. I need to make more filling choices -- high fiber, protein, etc...
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    You need more help than you're going to find on a site like this. You have an eating disorder, and you need the help of a therapist.

I agree... You need help from a professional... Not the noise and confusion of the internet.
  • jus_in_bello
    jus_in_bello Posts: 326 Member
    Options

I agree... You need help from a professional... Not the noise and confusion of the internet.

I third this.
  • dianamatienzo
    dianamatienzo Posts: 127
    Options
    You're not alone! Don't feel bad :) I've been trying this method to help me. It takes a lot of will power, but with patience and time, I feel stronger every day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxYy6LcssUY

^ this is just one example. Give it a try and see how it works for you!

Edit: Here's another one I like with the same technique :]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWu3rSEddZI
  • castelluzzo99
    castelluzzo99 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert, but life experience has taught me two things about binging. Maybe someone else can verify this, but my theory is that there are two reasons we have the urge to binge. Well, there are others, but I'm coming at this from a strictly physiological point of view (the psychological ones are quite valid, but outside my realm of experience for the most part).

1) Not enough calories--ie, energy--in a day.

2) Not enough nutrients--specifically micronutrients--over the last day or few days.

Now, we are the same height and almost the same weight (theoretically, I should have been 145 this week, but I think Aunt Flo is coming for a visit shortly and I understand she likes to make a body retain water or some such thing... but that's beside the point). I was 148 on Wednesday. I am currently breastfeeding a baby, 10 months, and estimating 2,000 to 2,100 calories needed to lose at a 500 caloric deficit. Now, you're not breastfeeding, which would put you around 1,700-1,800. Granted, I work out 5-6 days a week, so maybe you could reduce your calories by another 100-200 per day. At that point, you're going to be getting the energy your body needs for the day and will probably be less likely to binge, especially if you plan your portions before the meal.

So having addressed number of calories, let's look at micronutrients. These are found in everything, but especially fruits and veggies. Veggies especially are calorie light and nutrient dense. It's pretty much impossible to get fat eating raw veggies, and if you juice them, you can do even better.

Now, some people here think you have an eating disorder. That falls into the psychological side that I am totally unqualified to deal with, so I'm going to say if you do, get help. If you don't, then it's probably one or both of the above (because not getting enough calories can lead to lack of micronutrients as well). But I would say if you've been eating a lot of processed foods, replacing them with healthy alternatives (and by that I mean unprocessed foods, raw or gently cooked) will go a long way. That, and getting rid of every bit of junk food in the house. There are times when I have random cravings, and I open my pantry, and the only convenient food I see is corn chips. But I don't want chips. I want something sweet. But it's not there, because I don't buy it. If I want something sweet, I'll have to eat some raisins or a couple of dates or just eat some fruit.

A few months ago, people might have said I had an eating disorder. I would go into the kitchen and decide I wanted to eat. I would grab a box of cereal and pour milk over it and eat it. Then I'd pour another bowl. Then another. I'd eat 3-4 bowls of cereal (with what I now estimate to be at least 2 servings of cereal and 1 serving of milk each--and I will qualify it was a relatively high-fat soymilk). I felt bad but I just did it anyway. I think what clicked was when I decided I had to lose weight because I'm too cheap to buy bigger clothes! I don't have that kind of money, even if I buy them all at the thrift store. It would take me months, considering the budget I have has to go for the whole family (at least, me and the 3 kids), because kids grow legitimately. So something clicked, I started exercising, started eating less, and I couldn't be happier! Now I know that I was just bored, and eating made me feel less bored somehow. But I'm having more fun watching the measuring tape numbers go down than I was eating that much (and also enjoying the savings in the food budget!).

One thing you might try next time you have a craving (after getting rid of all the junk food first!): Get a container of wheat grass (Amazing Wheat Grass on Amazon, 60 serving size is a decent price and you get free shipping), mix it with something (I've had almond milk, but my favorite is 100% fruit juice--about the only time I have fruit juice anymore), and drink it. You might not like the taste of it at first, but it grows on you, and I can almost guarantee it will help the cravings. I mean, it helped *pregnancy* cravings when I was pregnant! It is nutritionally satisfying, that much I know!

{{{Hugs}}} I hope you can figure out what works for you.

Edit: I just looked at your diary, and I would say that whether or not you have that psychological issue mentioned above (at what point will my husband stop loving me?), you definitely ARE deficient in micronutrient foods. I saw no fruits or veggies for several days--unless there were some on that pizza. Try eating more of those and see if it doesn't help.
  • Deps
    Deps Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I have had a similar experience. I used to wait until my sig other went to work at night and I'd order a pizza or a milkshake etc. I find there is one sure way to help with this but it does take a lot of willpower. You know he loves you no matter what, so tell him that this is what you have been doing. Instead of being ashamed, when he comes home admit to what you have eaten. He will offer you support and maybe the next time you do it you will be able to think about that love and it makes it a little easier not to eat that additional serving or grab that choccie bar.

Best of luck to you.
  • Bettyeditor
    Bettyeditor Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    ok so I dont want to sound dumb. i have never let myself (besides when i binge) to eat more than 1600 calories a day. more than that scares me and its telling me (i work out like 3 times a week) to eat like 1800 a day in calories...that isn't going to make me gain weight?

How is it possible to eat less than you burn and gain weight? Think about that for a while......

Do you track every bite that you eat when you binge? You probably eat way more than an average of 1600 a day because of binging. What is better, 1800 a day of healthy calories or 1600 + binging on junk food that equals up to maybe 2500 calories a day?
  • Bettyeditor
    Bettyeditor Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Resisting strong hunger and cravings is not a normal part of healthy weight loss. The body is designed to lose weight comfortably at a moderate deficit of calories that are satisfying.

If you eat healthy foods like fruits and vegetables and seeds and nuts and whole grains and lean meats, and if you eat often, and if you eat enough (not too much, but not too little either... just a moderate deficit), then you WON'T GET STRONG CRAVINGS OR URGES TO BINGE.

I used to think that I was an emotional eater or that I lacked self control. But it turns out that at least 95% of cravings/binges are PHYSICAL, not emotional or psychological. The body needs lots of vitamins, nutrients, protein, carbs, fats and calories every day. If it does not get it, certain chemicals and hormones are triggered and you get cravings.

I have been eating healthy since Sept 2012 and I have only had a couple true binges. I can only think of one off the top of my head. When you give your body everything it needs, there is nothing left to crave. I eat treats like cookies every day along with my healthy diet. But I can stop at 2 cookies and not binge on more. The urge is just not there. I am FULL all the time with good food.
  • boatsie77
    boatsie77 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    The book "Women, Food and God" (not as religious as the title implies) may give you some insight into your emotional eating and why you are using food as your "drug of choice." Check out video below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0Nlre-836Q

The mechanics of losing weight (diet & exercise) only temporarily address the "symptoms"...unless you address the "cause" of your emotional distress, controlling your weight will be a life-long struggle.

You can do this... work through the emotional issues while creating a new and healthy lifestyle is the way to life-long success.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options

No and it will stop you bingeing.
  • castelluzzo99
    castelluzzo99 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Resisting strong hunger and cravings is not a normal part of healthy weight loss. The body is designed to lose weight comfortably at a moderate deficit of calories that are satisfying.

If you eat healthy foods like fruits and vegetables and seeds and nuts and whole grains and lean meats, and if you eat often, and if you eat enough (not too much, but not too little either... just a moderate deficit), then you WON'T GET STRONG CRAVINGS OR URGES TO BINGE.

I used to think that I was an emotional eater or that I lacked self control. But it turns out that at least 95% of cravings/binges are PHYSICAL, not emotional or psychological. The body needs lots of vitamins, nutrients, protein, carbs, fats and calories every day. If it does not get it, certain chemicals and hormones are triggered and you get cravings.

I have been eating healthy since Sept 2012 and I have only had a couple true binges. I can only think of one off the top of my head. When you give your body everything it needs, there is nothing left to crave. I eat treats like cookies every day along with my healthy diet. But I can stop at 2 cookies and not binge on more. The urge is just not there. I am FULL all the time with good food.

Exactly! this is what I said above, essentially, only with about half the words, and probably more well put. Thank you, Bettyeditor!