5x5 is for beginners

Options
GuitarJerry
GuitarJerry Posts: 6,102 Member
I was reading up on the SL 5x5 workout. I do something kinda sorta similar, but I'm getting bored with my routine and just wan to try something a little different. But, everything I read about it indicated that its really a beginner program. If you've been lifting for more than a year, you should do something else as the 5x5 program just gets your body ready for that next level.

Just wanted some opinions here. Looking at the workouts, one thing I dislike is squats every workout. In my routine, I do squats once a week, and alternate with other leg workouts like Deadlifts, and leg presses.

Anyway, just wondering about this. So, if it's true that the SL 5x5 program is more of a beginner approach, what is the next level?

<edited: I meant to have a question mark at he end of the title. It's not a statement, but a question>

Replies

• Cese27
    Cese27 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Been doing 5x5 for 3months now and it's great for be but I'm obviously no meathead,yet.from what I've seen you can take it as far as you physically can until the weight stops going up the peeps tend to go to something like starting strength
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    What's your total? (Deadlift + Squat + Bench)
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    What's your total? (Deadlift + Squat + Bench)

292+207+247

squat/deadlift are at the borderline of beginner/novice, and 247 bench is def. well into novice/intermediate.

you'd probably be better off with a program like Wendler 5/3/1
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Anyway, just wondering about this. So, if it's true that the SL 5x5 program is more of a beginner approach, what is the next level?

SL is an alternate to SS, which has the word "Starting" right in it's name. Both programs, along with NROL are what we constantly tell newbies to begin with. Sooooooooo, yep, it's a beginner program. And it's great for that, which is I why recommend even though I don't do it.

As for what's next, that really depends on your goals. If you're looking to be a powerlifter, follow any plan recommended in the forums (and by "any plan", I mean 5/3/1). If you have other goals, find something that matches them.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

SL is an alternate to SS, which has the word "Starting" right in it's name. Both programs, along with NROL are what we constantly tell newbies to begin with. Sooooooooo, yep, it's a beginner program. And it's great for that, which is I why recommend even though I don't do it.

As for what's next, that really depends on your goals. If you're looking to be a powerlifter, follow any plan recommended in the forums (and by "any plan", I mean 5/3/1). If you have other goals, find something that matches them.

^ I agree with this. I use 5/3/1 but it is primarily to build strength with some hypertrophy work. Don't be afraid to modify a program to match your own goals.
  • BeachIron
    Options
    My goals right now are strength. So 5/3/1 seems good. A little complicated, but I think I understand.

If you're comfortable with Excel it will take a little time to build the spreadsheet but you can run with it from there. If you don't like Excel then this will make life much easier: http://www.strstd.com/.
  • BeachIron
    Options
    My goals right now are strength. So 5/3/1 seems good. A little complicated, but I think I understand.

If you're comfortable with Excel it will take a little time to build the spreadsheet but you can run with it from there. If you don't like Excel then this will make life much easier: http://www.strstd.com/.

I love excel. You kidding. I'm a master.

Then 5/3/1 will be a cinch. Wendler discourages spreadsheeting all the accessories but I couldn't help myself.
  • DavPul
    Options
    or if you use jefit you can just download one of the 1000 5/3/1 routines that people have uploaded. then it's all in your phone and tracked for you on the app on the cpu.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    bump
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Look at doing the Texas Method.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    I've heard people augmenting their 5x5 into other programs. I don't like push/pull splits, but a lot of body builders who started with 5x5 will try another split to I suppose re-challenge their bodies. I've not done 5x5, but right now I'm learning the fundamentals of power lifting and that's sort of my workout (b) routine in addition to my normal standard 3 day split.
  • DavPul
    Options
    Thanks everyone. This is awesome. I'll rest tomorrow and start on Sunday with overhead press.

The only thing it doesn't talk about is rest periods. Do you just do whatever you want? I saw something where it said just make sure you're out of the gym in one hour. Ha, ha.

do you mean between sets? usually workouts like that are 2-3 minutes, longer if we're talking about heavy squats or deads
  • jajnn
    jajnn Posts: 33
    Options
    If it works, why change it?

Currently DL + 425 lbs and squat +405 lbs... still following my own 5x5 for those two movements.