what is your workout routine?

Options
alethea88
alethea88 Posts: 112 Member
I begin my workout routine with 75 minutes of 6.5km brisk walk... after I get home I do yogalates for 70 minutes. My friend said I over workout but I love morning exercise. I'm looking for other workout ideas so I will not get bored with my routine.... kind of doing other routine on alternate days. so anyone want to share their workout routine?

Replies

• Back2Biz
    Back2Biz Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I workout 2x's per week with a Personal Trainer doing intense (like you're going to faint/die/piss yourself) cardio and plyometrics style exercises. Then on the other days I do Jillian Michaels's 30 Day Shred DVD's - you can find her on Youtube also. The JM workouts are only 20 minutes but intense enough to jack up your metabolism for the day. Sometimes I do Level 2 and Level 3 so I get a good 40 minutes in... or P90X's AB ripper afterwards. I do Yoga occassionally too. I workout 5 days a week and alternate what days off I take, just because I'm a SAHM and have to be flexible. The only problem with sticking to just running and yoga is that your body gets used to the intensity/routine and you aren't revving up your metabolism. If you add in some short runs (start with 30 seconds every few minutes on your walk then as you are able get up to 1 minute runs) you will see a difference. Those bursts will get your heartrate up and raise your metabolism for longer after your workout is over. Good Luck!!
  • jordanduncan120
    Options
    I don't think you're over working out. Walking and yoga are pretty low impact. So it might be a long time to devote to exercise, but its definitely not going to overwork your body. Unless you find yourself exhausted throughout the day, I wouldn't say you are overdoing it. You definitely need more variety though because your body will get used to the same ol, same ol and stop burning. You have to constantly be challenging yourself with new things.

I love Yogilates! Are you doing Louise Solomon's dvds? I have been doing them for about 7 or 8 years now and she still kicks my booty! I have the flow almost memorized though so I love it for days when I am stressed and I just go from one thing to the next without thinking. It helps me get into my body and out of my head.

Have you tried Rodney Yee's yoga dvds? OMG they are amazing. He uses the breathing system like in Yogilates and Pilates, but the way he coaches you through is perfect. I have gotten AMAZING results from his dvds. Also look for Ana Caban's Pilates dvds. There is one I forget the name of, I think its called Pilates Core Challenge. Its really easy to get the hang of the moves, but it is really challenging. You don't need any Pilates equipment though. They are reformer moves adapted to the mat. All you need is a mat and DVD player.

Another DVD I have been doing that I love is Ballet Beautiful by Mary Helen Bowers. It is HAAAARD! OMG! It is so good though. When I do it I am sore for at least 2 days. She trained Natalie Portman for Black Swan, and this lady is no joke. She probably has not a single once of fat on her whole body. lol.

I'm not really all that into pylos and hiit. I don't know why. Maybe because I am uncoordinated and doing super fast moves makes me trip over my feet and I get easily discouraged. I have a few pylo and hiit routines I have snipped from Women's Health, Health, Self, and Shape magazine that I do every so often. I do them super slow at first until I have them memorized and then I speed them up once I know the right sequence. I still trip over myself sometimes though lol. Mostly for cardio type stuff I do intervals or cross training on the elliptical. I can't jog on the treadmill or sidewalk because I have bad bad bad knees and hips. The elliptical is the only kind of running I can do for an extended time. I also swim laps which KILLS calories. I lift weights too with free weights and machines. And I do Wii Fit. I try to do a little bit of everything to try not to be bored.

My routine, more specifically, is this:

Weekends: Are super busy with the baby (I have a toddler) so when I'm not running errands and catching up on housework, I make the time to walk with her around my neighborhood. Usually for about 2 miles. After she goes to bed at night my husband stays at home with her while I go to the gym. At the gym I run on the elliptical for 30-45 mins and then lift weights, or I bike for a bit and lift weights. Depending on how tired I am from the day.

Weekdays: During naptime I do a dvd of some sort (yoga, yogilates, pilates, yoga ball workout, or ballet beautiful) and a wii fit routine. After baby goes to bed I stay home and do another dvd or more wii fit, or I do calisthenics like lunges and crunches and stuff. I have a whole list of calisthenic routines I've found on the web or in magazines and I like to do those while I catch up on tv shows or watch movies. I use my exercise ball for that too or small free weights.

On nights when I feel like I haven't felt like I reached my burn goal for the day (for instance if naptime didn't last long enough), I go to the gym at night while my husband stays with the baby. I swim at night after workouts sometimes to cool down and burn a few more calories.

Basically I just do whatever I can, when I can. I have a weekly goal that I work toward and I try to hit it, but when I don't I try not to stress about it because I know eventually I'll get to my goal weight. The main thing is to keep at it. Any little bit of activity is better than none!
  • jordanduncan120
    Options
    I workout 2x's per week with a Personal Trainer doing intense (like you're going to faint/die/piss yourself) cardio and plyometrics style exercises. Then on the other days I do Jillian Michaels's 30 Day Shred DVD's - you can find her on Youtube also. The JM workouts are only 20 minutes but intense enough to jack up your metabolism for the day. Sometimes I do Level 2 and Level 3 so I get a good 40 minutes in... or P90X's AB ripper afterwards. I do Yoga occassionally too. I workout 5 days a week and alternate what days off I take, just because I'm a SAHM and have to be flexible. The only problem with sticking to just running and yoga is that your body gets used to the intensity/routine and you aren't revving up your metabolism. If you add in some short runs (start with 30 seconds every few minutes on your walk then as you are able get up to 1 minute runs) you will see a difference. Those bursts will get your heartrate up and raise your metabolism for longer after your workout is over. Good Luck!!

This is GREAT advice! I second the YouTube idea! Cheaper than buying a ton of DVDs for sure!

Definitely work up to running in short bursts! Eventually you'll be running almost the whole time and walking in short bursts!
  • ThePinkPenguin
    Options
    The only thing I make time for every week is Zumba once or twice a week. I try to mix things up/do different things so I'm not bored easy. I've also been incorporating strength training using The Biggest Loser Power Sculpt DVD and a beginning weight training program with weight machines that I found on Bodybuilding.com. I am currently in the middle of Couch25K, but am not sure I enjoy running all that much, but I'll give it another week or two before deciding if I'm sticking with it.

Honestly, my cardio varies every week. It depends on my mood. But I'm definitely going to stick to my strength training plan.
  • alethea88
    alethea88 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Hi back2biz, I love Jillian Michael. I used to watch her show 'losing it with Jillian'. I would probably try her workout DVD. I quit running because I think I have poor body balance. I hurt my knee last year running. nothing serious but I miss my workout for a few months. LOL. Last year I join jazzercise but I quit after a month because most of the classes in the evening and I prefer morning workout.

Jordanduncan, yes its the louise Solomon ultimate yogalates DVD that I bought. Its very easy to learn and I love to feel so relax doing it but sweating. LOL. Thank you for suggestion, I will look for rodney yee and anna caban DVD. I don't think I can support my weight with the tip of my toe but maybe it will be fun to try ballet once in a while.

ThePinkPengui, I have Zumba DVD at home but I give up on trying the second day. I think the moves in the DVD is too fast for me. I think for slow learner like me should try zumba classes with real trainer. That will be fun. LOL.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    i disagree with your friend. you're walking and doing yoga. that's not really a recipe for overtraining.

for variety, try some of the zuzka light workouts on youtube. she's got bunches of videos where you don't even need any equipment.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I begin my workout routine with 75 minutes of 6.5km brisk walk... after I get home I do yogalates for 70 minutes. My friend said I over workout but I love morning exercise. I'm looking for other workout ideas so I will not get bored with my routine.... kind of doing other routine on alternate days. so anyone want to share their workout routine?

On Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday I hit the weight room for about 50-60 minutes and concentrate on lifting heavy for increased strength.

On Wednesday and Saturday, I do about 50 minutes of cardio kickboxing. Sometimes it is a class at the gym, other times it is Turbo Kick at home (as an instructor, I have access to the recorded versions of TK at home).

I make sure that I walk at least 10,000 steps a day in addition to the other things listed above, but I don't count that as "exercise." It's just normal activity for me.

Sundays I prefer to rest and let my muscles recover.

I agree with the above posters that walking and yoga is definitely not going to lead to overtraining. I think your friend is confusing overtraining with extended lengths of workouts that they are simply not accustomed to, but this doesn't necessarily mean that you are overtraining.
  • ElBence
    ElBence Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Swimming in the morning: set 1 - 1800 yards freestyle, set 2 - 200 yards breast stroke, set 3 - 100 yards breast stroke kick, set 4 - 100 yards breast stroke with pull paddles, sets 5,6,7 - repeat 2,3,4 only with back stroke, set 8 - 9 x 50 sprint freestyle, set 9 - 450 cool down.

P90X at night.
  • aliciaconcha90
    Options
    In the mornings, my cardio workout routine I try to aim for about a hour each day
    Every two weeks I switch it up:
    1st routine is the stepper (30 mins) + boxing (other 30 mins).
    2nd routine is walking/jogging at 5.2-7.5 MPH to complete 5 miles(40 mins) then its boxing (30 mins)
  • AnJulNZ
    AnJulNZ Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I do a Jillian Michaels workout in the morning (presently on Ripped in 30, I did 30 Day Shred before this). In the afternoon I try to go for a walk.
  • loneleigh
    loneleigh Posts: 4
    Options
    3-4x a week at the gym start off with 30-45 min of cardio (arc trainer) then about 45 min of weights. I switch it up from upper body and lower body. I do abs every time.
    I ride my bike 1x week about 10-12 miles.
  • JustMQ
    JustMQ Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I hit the gym 4-5 days a week. I start with cardio, running on the treadmill for 30-60 minutes. If my legs are burning, I tend to take it easy and go on the elliptical for 30 minutes. I then do about half an hour of weights, switching from upper and lower body. I add in abs on my upper body days.

I wouldn't worry about over doing it. Just listen to your body, it'll tell you when it needs a break.
  • jajnn
    jajnn Posts: 33
    Options
    My bare minimum routine is:

Sunday: Legs
    Squat - Two warm up sets followed by 5x5 with heavy *kitten* weight
    Leg Press 5x10
    Hamstring Curl 4x10
    Standing Calf raises 3 sets of static holds superset with 20 full ROM reps with feet pointed inwards like /\
    Seated Calf raises, same as above but with feet pointed outwards like \/
    Seated Calf raises, same as above but with feet pointed straight

Monday: Chest, Shoulders, Triceps
    100 push ups with feet elevated
    Bench Press - Two warm up sets followed by 5x10
    Incline Dumbbell Bench Press 5x10
    Dumbbell Flyes 5x10
    Dumbbell Shoulder Press 5x10
    Lateral Raises 4x10
    Rear Delt Machine +20 reps x 4 with increasing weight
    Face Pulls 4x10
    Dips 5x10
    Skull Crushers with EZ Bar 4x10
    Close Grip Bench Press 4x10
    Dumbbell Kickbacks 4x10

Tuesday: Back, Biceps
    Wide Grip Pull ups 5x10
    Deadlift - 2x10 warm up sets then 5x5 going from 315 -405 lbs
    Pendalay Rows 4x10
    T-bar rows 4x10
    Lat Pull-downs 4x10
    Kroc Rows 4x10 every other week
    Straight bar curls - 5x10
    Seated Incline Dumbbell curls 5x10
    Hammer Curls 5x10

If I have time during the rest of the week I'll throw in another day where I blast shoulders, arms and calves
  • MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    My own abomination of a modified Greyskull LP using box squats because my regular squat suuuucks. Going to start swimming with my girlfriend 2-3x per week.
  • WhaddoWino
    WhaddoWino Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I agree that your exercise is low impact and I doubt you are overtraining. Do what you love!

I am a big fan of FitnessBlender.com. I work with a personal trainer 3x a week-- just started a couple weeks ago-- to learn heavy lifting. As I am new to it, we focus on a particular body region each session: legs one day, shoulders and arms another, and back and chest on the third day. I LOVE the feeling of pushing myself with the heavy weights.... what a rush!

I also run 5K three times a week, bike 20K once a week, and throw in a few FitnessBlender.com routines to focus on core strength. Do you know FitnessBlender.com? If not, do yourself a favor and explore it!