ok, so do we really log everything?

Options
I just helped my daughter with her easy bake oven and she made a miniture chocolate cake with frosting. if anyone has ever dealt with these they are tiny and we split it into 3 "pieces" so we each had crumbles. Do I really log that? And how would I go about logging something like that?

Replies

• amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Find a generic chocolae cupcake and add 1/3 to your diary. Personally I do not log every morself I put into my mouth,but I dont use this as an exact tool, just to generally keep track of how much Im eating. Others log every single bit of every single thing, cooking oil spray,etc. Its upto you how you do it and whats best for you. :)
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I dont log food I sample while cooking.. In reality you SHOULD, but in the long run it was maybe 20-25 cals?
  • lina1131
    lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
    Options
    Is it like a bite? If so, I would not log it. (PEOPLE OF MFP DO NOT SHOOT ME FOR THIS). Just try to cushion your calories at the end of the day to where you have 50 to 100 left to make up for any possible overage.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Two ways to do that. Find something on the data base that is similar and add that, a single cookie would probably work. Or you can use the quick add feature and just add the appropriate # of calories to the meal/snack.
  • Scncartist
    Scncartist Posts: 173
    Options
    I pretty much log everything that passes my lips. However, if I were in your situation, I might just not enter it and walk up and down the stairs 5 times to call it good.

Yeah, little things add up, but if its so small, and you do it only once, it shouldn't matter. :-)
  • canstey
    canstey Posts: 118
    Options
    If it was just this one thing and "one things" don't happen every day then I wouldn't waste my time with something so small. On the other hand if this "one thing" also had several other "one things" not recorded like a cookie, a few crackers, and some nuts and it was an every day habit then I would log them all.
  • BlueLikeJazz
    BlueLikeJazz Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    The issue here is that those little bites can really add up, and by not logging one little bite, you start a slippery slope of not logging other little bites, which can affect your long-term success. I personally log everything and purposefully don't take little bites anymore because it's a pain logging them. I would at least do Quick Add calories or cushion your calories at the end of the day so you're not sabotaging your efforts.
  • countrymama08
    Options
    I second what Cantesy said. I had 4 mini altoids today. I looked at the calories...2 calories total for all 4. Whew. I did not add it.

I do however have a bad habit of grabbing a small handful of almonds and eating them. I don't count them thinking it was just a few. That kind of stuff can add up. I am trying to be more mindful since it is the mindless eating that I fail to track.

I would not track it if she is not baking you little morsels 4 or 5 times every day.

Just have to add
    :cry: Never got the easy bake oven I always wanted.
  • losingnow
    Options
    Just to clarify it was one little tiny bite.
  • yvonnej1
    yvonnej1 Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I log pretty much everything and like someone else suggested if it is something really small that you don't log I make sure I have some calories left over to accommodate it . Tonight I was preparing packed lunches for tomorrow and as usual was sampling the fruit as it came out the fridge, I did log the couple of grapes, raspberries etc. that seemed to jump into my mouth. To me it's about being accountable otherwise it's easy to lose track.
    When my daughter cooked cupcakes I entered it into the recipe calculator to work out the calories per cake, but if this is not something you plan on eating again or eating very much of it may not be worth it for you though.

Happy cooking :smile:
  • RuthWorth
    RuthWorth Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I do try to add everything I eat if it is more than a couple bites; other wise I try to leave a cushion at the end of the day for that or just walk a few more steps than normal
  • mworld
    mworld Posts: 270
    Options
    i overestimate my food calories and i underestimate my exercise calories, as well as not listing questionable activities (read housework) under my exercise - given all that, when I take a bite of my wife's meal to taste it, I do not feel the need to log it.
  • Mirlyn
    Mirlyn Posts: 256
    Options
    i overestimate my food calories and i underestimate my exercise calories, as well as not listing questionable activities (read housework) under my exercise - given all that, when I take a bite of my wife's meal to taste it, I do not feel the need to log it.

This.

I stopped counting housework, even the deep cleaning, towards my calories. I don't underestimate my calories since I wear an HRM but I do overestimate my food calories. Occasionally I will break off a corner of my son's graham cracker when I give him one on the go and I don't feel guilty not logging it.

If I hit a plateau, I may be more strict on logging. Until then, I'm losing so I feel there's no need to re-evaluate at this time. Do what works for you :).