Fat or obese?

Options
twinketta
twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
Obese is the correct terminology these days in the `politically correct` speak

But why can we not just say fat?

To be honest when I was fat..I was fat I admit it. I prefer `fat` to `obese`

Obese is an awful word...overweight, is an OK word IMO

I am sure there is the same thing for people that are `slim` `skinny` `underweight`

What do you think the best word of description is and which word would you prefer?

Replies

• Behxo
    Behxo Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    I prefer overweight, makes it sound better like there is a lot more hope for me... I remember being at the doctors and having them tell me I was obese because I am 30-40 lbs more than I should be, I felt rather awful after hearing that.
  • obeseandsassy
    obeseandsassy Posts: 118
    Options

I am sure there is the same thing for people that are `slim` `skinny` `underweight`

What do you think the best word of description is and which word would you prefer?

I call myself fat. I even have a necklace that says fat. (i realize the irony here, as my username is 'obeseandsassy', but hey, fatandsassy was taken!)

However when I made an introduction thread and used the word fat, I got multiple responses that said 'You're not even fat, you're OBESE.' Well, uh, yeah. They're pretty much synonymous. (unless these people think I should be saying 'morbidly obese' every time I want to describe myself? Fat's a lot easier to say/type for everyone involved. Come on, now.)

I think everyone has a right to call themselves what they want. If people like fat, go for it. If they like overweight, go for it. Not that I'm saying that someone who's 300lbs should be calling themselves thin, but you get the general idea.
  • twinketta
    Options
    Overweight does sound so much better..it does give you a sense of ` I can make it all better` doesn`t it?

Obese just has no hope, like there is no way to get back from it.

even fat makes me feel better lol
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    How I use weight associated words: In order of descending weight. The fit one applies to the physically fit, not just the physically thin.

Morbidly obese > clinically obese > fat > overweight > chubby > average > fit
  • twinketta
    Options

I call myself fat. I even have a necklace that says fat. (i realize the irony here, as my username is 'obeseandsassy', but hey, fatandsassy was taken!)

However when I made an introduction thread and used the word fat, I got multiple responses that said 'You're not even fat, you're OBESE.' Well, uh, yeah. They're pretty much synonymous. (unless these people think I should be saying 'morbidly obese' every time I want to describe myself? Fat's a lot easier to say/type for everyone involved. Come on, now.)

I think everyone has a right to call themselves what they want. If people like fat, go for it. If they like overweight, go for it. Not that I'm saying that someone who's 300lbs should be calling themselves thin, but you get the general idea.

Well if someone else has fatandsassy then you have a twin :laugh: I just hate it when I join up for a website and I put in my preferred user name and someone else has it already :laugh:

And OMG the people that put obese in your introduction thread, that is awful....like I have asked it is so easier to class ourselves in one terminology....if we prefer `fat` then why do we say `obese`
  • twinketta
    Options
    How I use weight associated words: In order of descending weight. The fit one applies to the physically fit, not just the physically thin.

But see what you are doing there?

You are categorising overweight people and putting them in slots?

Playing Devil`s advocate, you have not put the less fit, skinny,scrawny, underweight people at the bottom of the pile (I am just using these words and do not agree with labeling)
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

Playing Devil`s advocate, you have not put the less fit, skinny,scrawny, underweight people at the bottom of the pile (I am just using these words and do not agree with labeling)

I see exactly what I'm doing there, classifying (in my own head), what I would be at different weights. I have been everything from clinically obese, to chubby. I'm looking to get fit. I use these words as personal goals. I do not go around telling people what word I would use for them (unless they ask and I know they want honesty).

I use them as positive reinforcers. I don't see these words as purely pejorative.

and since you asked:

fit > thin > skinny > emaciated > near death > skeleton
  • twinketta
    Options

I see exactly what I'm doing there, classifying (in my own head), what I would be at different weights. I have been everything from clinically obese, to chubby. I'm looking to get fit. I use these words as personal goals. I do not go around telling people what word I would use for them (unless they ask and I know they want honesty).

I use them as positive reinforcers. I don't see these words as purely pejorative.

and since you asked:

fit > thin > skinny > emaciated > near death > skeleton

Good answer and if it works for you also to use the subjective words to help you then, it is obviously working for you.

`chubby` that is a word that I have no problem with either :smile:
  • avababy05
    avababy05 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    Everyone is overlooking the fact that overweight and obese are specific medical terms.

We can call ourselves what we want but it is what it is.

When I was overweight,I called myself fat.
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    i say Fat.
  • VeganSurfer
    VeganSurfer Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Fat or very fat :laugh:
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I use the terms overweight and obese. If I'm talking to someone who is obese, I would just stick with overweight (if I had a reason to say it at all, wouldn't happen much). No need to get into specifics like obese, I'm not their docs. I would never call them fat though. (I see fat as what it is, macros or necessary elements of human and animal bodies.)
  • lalaland82
    lalaland82 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I say fat or overweight, though it was the physiotherapist telling me I was clinically obese that made me actually gave me the kick I needed to start losing weight!
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    none - people should myob and not call anyone any thing
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    none - people should myob and not call anyone any thing

So what are doctors supposed to do, then?

OP, I personally also classify people (in my head of course, mostly when I'm trying to remember what the person looks like) as what they would be on a medical chart. Morbidly obese, obese, overweight, healthy, underweight. I don't think any is necessarily better than the other, but I prefer to think that a person is overweight or obese than just describe them as fat, especially if I need to describe them to someone else. "Morbidly obese" is more descriptive than just "fat."
  • talitha1992
    Options
    I was searching online, and it say's I'm obese. I'm almost 21 yrs old and I'm 5 ft 3. I weigh 195lbs. I hate that term, makes me feel really fat and depressed :(
  • bbl2013t
    bbl2013t Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    i'm currently obese, i love food! was thin a few weeks ago, until i met my fat girlfriend! i stopped exercising and dieting and my job, she was working at a much better job. i stayed home, watched tv and overate on junk food, my friends came over quite regularly, they go really fat, her friends were really fat already, i feel better now, since if let my self go,also the sex feels much more better since i put on the pounds
  • squatsandlipgloss
    squatsandlipgloss Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I am not fat, I HAVE fat. Fat does not define me. I call myself overweight (I am not obese).
  • Quibbles
    Quibbles Posts: 29 Member
    Options

This!