over weight and jogging....

Options
I am over weight but i started the free 10k app im on week 1 day 3? Being over weight (235) 5'4 how much days should i jog a week 2,3,4? and if i do feel sore should i jog the next day regardless or should take that day off?

Replies

• jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Take days off (rest days) every other day. If you are injured (and not just sore) then take an extra day in between or as many as needed.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    i'd follow the app as best i could, if i were you. obv stop if you're injured, but the first several weeks are more than easy enough to push thru while sore
  • abideedum
    abideedum Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Do what the program tells you to. But if your not a runner maybe start with the 5k app then move on to the 10k once your done. (Thats my plan)
  • MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I ran a 15K (well most of it) when I was 260lb. It's very doable.
  • ejwme
    ejwme Posts: 318
    Options
    I've got a friend who ran a marathon while technically obese - overweightedness is not necessarily an issue. Work up to things slowly, train to a solid plan, keep tabs on your heart rate, and pay attention to how you're feeling. Soreness can be expected, but if pain is assymetrical, sharp, gets worse instead of better, stops you from moving normally, or is located in a joint, take a day's rest and go see a sports medicine doctor (assuming you've got decent shoes already). Regular doctors will just tell you to stop running until you lose weight (riiiiiight...). Sports medicine people will help you heal while being active, because their goal is to keep you moving.