Does your dog motivate you to lose weight?

Options

Replies

• Green_Ash
    Green_Ash Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have a cardigan corgi that keeps me going. Frisket has so much energy...he makes me much more active than I would be otherwise! I love it though, I think it's really good for both of us.
  • Peanutbutterx
    Peanutbutterx Posts: 332
    Options
    as you can see, my dog like driving more than walking. gets him to where he wants to go faster, he's a busy man. but yeah we took him to the vet recently and they said he was overweight and not to feed him anymore people food. so not being able to feed him what im eating makes me not want to eat as much because hes soo cute and i feel bad eating in front of him.. so its made me really cut down on snacking and not want to eat in my bed anymore.
  • traceytwink
    traceytwink Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I actually really wish I had a dog to walk, just because I love dogs and it would be a great way to get more exercise in!
    Me too I'd love a dog but my hubby is a cat person, we have an overweight cat which is harder to control,he eats diet food with us and we stopped him going out to try and get rid of some weight but he got depressed, so he's back out again still on the diet food and has so far lost 2 kg but for how long I don't know, why do people feel the need to feed other people's cats is beyond me they don't feed dogs!!!
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I exercise with my dogs I walk at las 2 hours a day with both (A golden retriever and a Labrador Retriever). My lab is 18 months old so makes a great running partner as well though she is a lot fitter than me.
  • KayLgee
    KayLgee Posts: 139
    Options
    No, she won't run with me she digs her claws in.
  • crystalrp
    crystalrp Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I have an overweight beagle/basset named Gusgus. He weighs about 60 pounds. I usually walk him around the block once, drop him off at home,. then do another lap myself. He can only do the one lap now but hopefully that will improve! The exercise is definitely something both of us need!!
  • Angiesolomon
    Angiesolomon Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    That's so cute :)
  • melissa112
    melissa112 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Definitely. I take my German Shepherd out for between 1.5hrs and 2hrs a day. She's 5 in July. It was more before her legs became poorly. She has hip and elbow dysplasia and arthritis now so can't do more than that. She used to get 3+hours and still does on occasion if we go to the beach or whatever.

She's solid muscle, her back legs are absolute rocks which is needed to support the joints which are bad. I get watched like a hawk each day when it's time for walks and would feel really guilty if I didn't take her!
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    not really, but when i get around to it, she'll be a great long distance running buddy. Huskies can run for miles easily.
  • Carfoodel
    Carfoodel Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I take my border collie massive walks every day - she has been my training partner for my Kiltwalk and she very much keeps me moving - I take her a morning walk that ranges from a minimum of 4 miles up to our biggest which has been 18 miles and she still ready for a walk 30 minutes after we got back and she gets about 4 walks a day.
  • resourceng
    resourceng Posts: 2
    Options
    Its good to learn that one can use a pet as a motivating factor to exercise...
    My dog died few years back and have not been able to get another one for myself because of my attachment to the dog.
  • sdpeklo
    sdpeklo Posts: 82
    Options
    My dog doesn't need to lose weight, but he loves being outdoors-as you can see by my avatar which is his pic. I would feel awful if I didn't take him out to hike, so he motivates me to get out and moving that way. Happy bonus that it fits my macros for exercise ;-)

:smile: Love the pic....love the backpack!
  • carlacyr
    carlacyr Posts: 11
    Options
    I have a hilarious yellow lab/pit cross. She's a year and a half old and has recently become my c25k partner. She lives for walks, so whenever she sees the leash come out, she's ready to go now. Lol she's great motivation though, especially on the last intervals... When I'm about ready to die, she's still there.... Trooping along beside me. It's the best feeling ever.
  • lambchoplewis
    lambchoplewis Posts: 797
    Options
    Animals are a great motivator but remember:

You are not a dog, don't reward yourself with food!!!
  • 2stepscloser
    2stepscloser Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    They don't. I've got two 13 yr old shar peis who only want to go out, use the bathroom, and come back in to lay down and go to sleep :(
  • lkcuts
    lkcuts Posts: 224
    Options
    I am a dog walker so my DOGS help to keep me moving..I really have no other choice. Some of the dogs I walk are a lot more high energy then others. I have a client with a 8 month old Australian Shepherd and she has not become my jogging partner because one walk a day was not enough for her. Dogs are wonderful!

By the way mine is super high energy as well and typically walks 6 hours a day and also does agility!

This is very interesting as I have been practicing and trying different methods to walk my 4 Shih Tzues. the first try was disasterous, they intertwined each other all the time and I spent more time untangleing than walking. I kept telling myself there are professional dog walkers how in the heck do THEY do it? I finally bought a loop that connects two dogs and put a swival adapter on it so at least I oculd break them up in two groups of two connected. they aren't really happy about being connected to each other as they have their own wants to sniff etc.
    Its getting better they still go under each other leads occasionally. Its like leading a team of horses lol. I have to hold one group back a bit so they don't tangle and each dog weighs average 15 pounds each so the strength training part of excersising really comes into play.
    Did you have to "learn" how to walk more than one dog? any advice to make it easier?
  • AlexThreeClaw
    AlexThreeClaw Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Its good to learn that one can use a pet as a motivating factor to exercise...
    My dog died few years back and have not been able to get another one for myself because of my attachment to the dog.

I'm sorry for your loss. When my Rex died a few years back I was heartbroken and didn't think I'd ever have another dog again. I hadn't realised quite how miserably lonely I'd become without a four legged fiend padding around the house until I looked after a friend's ailing spaniel. He needed a few months of close attention and she couldn't afford to pack in work for that long. I still miss Rex tremendously. He was a fat, lazy lump. His only goal in life was to eat aaaaall the food and he had a skin condition that flared up every summer. Children would stroke his lovely little head and then go "Urgh!" when they saw his back. (Kids are ****.) He was scared of cats, and the dark, and motorcycles, and his loyalty was questionable. He'd abandon me for an old man in a heartbeat but he was adorable, and I loved him and he can never be replaced.
  • slendercurves
    slendercurves Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Did you have to "learn" how to walk more than one dog? any advice to make it easier?
    [/quote]

I walk my Corgi mix and an Airedale at the same time. They like to walk on different sides of me so they don't get tangled much. I think they don't like getting in each other's way. Lucky me!
  • mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    My black Lab Ann could stand to lose some weight but not sure I could lift her to do weekly weigh in's. ;)
  • slendercurves
    slendercurves Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    My black Lab Ann could stand to lose some weight but not sure I could lift her to do weekly weigh in's. ;)

Joey and I visit PetSmart weekly for our weigh-ins. He steps on first, then he gets off and I step on.

Employees and customers usually look at me strange initally, but when I explain that we're BOTH dieting, they think it's a great idea. If PetSmart starts a national people-pet diet club, you heard it hear first!