Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Problems with charlie horses...

I have always been really susceptible to leg cramps but I have recently increased my mountain biking quite a bit to about 75 miles/week. I also do 3 HIIT sessions on the Elliptical per week and lift heavy with NROLFW. For the last 2-3 weeks I have had excruciatingly bad charlie horses through the night in my calves and sometimes in my quads. In the past it's been a one time thing and once it's over, it's over... but these have been so bad that they come and go all night long and hurt insanely bad.

I have tried the suggestions of multiple friends... bananas, increased water intake (200+ oz/day), MIO drops in my water before bed.... nothing seems to be making a difference at all. Does anybody have any other suggestions?

Replies

• KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Are you getting enough calcium? Not getting enough calcium when you exercise a lot can cause cramping.
    And Potassium.
  • DonnaRe2012
    DonnaRe2012 Posts: 298 Member
    OMG !!! I was hit with 2 last night, and would also love to hear any suggestions to remedy this. 330am and then again at 530am !! Not fun an both legs still kinda hurt...:grumble:
  • sheclimbsrocks
    sheclimbsrocks Posts: 110 Member
    I get super dehydrated and get those middle of the night leg cramps. I find that coconut water / juice (not milk) really helps me fight dehydration. It has more potassium than bananas. Get the kind that does not have added sugar and is 100% juice, like Amy & Brian's / Blue Monkey / VitaCoco. Don't go for Goya because it has added sugar.

This works for me. I buy mine in bulk from Vitacost.
  • WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr
    WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr Posts: 2,150 Member
    I found a over the counter pill that contains quinine which is supposed to help, it's called Leg Cramps
    ...of course you can always have a gin and tonic since tonic contains quinine
  • PatriceGotThatVibe
    PatriceGotThatVibe Posts: 4 Member
    I get those too every so often, especially when I work out. I know Potassium works. Bananas have always worked for me, but since you've tried it and it doesn't seem to work...then find something with Potassium in it and try that.

I found this information on http://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/tc/nighttime-leg-cramps-topic-overview?page=2

How can you prevent muscle cramps?

These tips may help prevent muscle cramps:

Drink plenty of water and other fluids, enough so that your urine is light yellow or clear like water.
    Limit or avoid drinks with alcohol or caffeine. These can make you dehydrated, which means your body has lost too much fluid.
    Make sure you are eating healthy foods (especially if you are pregnant) that are rich in calcium, potassium, and magnesium.
    Ride a bike or stationary bike to condition and stretch your muscles.
    Stretch pop out your muscles every day, especially before and after exercise and at bedtime.
    Don't suddenly increase the amount of exercise you get. Increase your exercise a little each week.
    Take a daily multivitamin supplement.
  • Thanks everyone, You all came up with some suggestions that I have not tried. The calcium might be an issue because the only calcium I get is from Greek yogurt once a day. I will try bumping that up and also the coconut water idea....

Thanks so much for your help!
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,505 Member
    Potassium is important, but make sure you keep your sodium levels under control as well. I believe they are supposed to balance each other out though I don't know the exact numbers. I just know when my sodium gets too high I am far more susceptible to cramping.
  • Shelby1582
    Shelby1582 Posts: 191 Member
    I get them bad too, or at least I used to. I think they happen to me the most when I am dehydrated. Drink more water and do some calf/hamstring stretches before bed. My father in law who is a dr. told me that a tried and true remedy for them is to drink one of those small bottles of tonic water. Chug the whole thing when you get one and it goes away almost immediately. Something to do with the quinine in it. I haven't had any in the house last time I got one but I keep it on hand for the next one.
  • Elphaba91
    Elphaba91 Posts: 66 Member
    Magnesium is fantastic for cramping. Otherwise there are products that have a combination of vitamins, etc. for cramps (including magnesium). Take a look in the pharmacy or health food store.
    Thanks everyone, You all came up with some suggestions that I have not tried. The calcium might be an issue because the only calcium I get is from Greek yogurt once a day. I will try bumping that up and also the coconut water idea....

If you're going to be taking calcium, I would also check that you're getting enough vitamin D. It allows you to absorb the calcium (if not, the calcium can build up in your heart and be quite dangerous). You can get it naturally from the sunshine, but in Australia (even over the summer when we have plenty of sun!) it's become quite a common deficiency because of all the skin cancer campaigns. So you may need to take a supplement for that too.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,788 Member
    This works for me: roll up a beach towel really tight, place it behind your knees as you sit down on your heels. It will hurt like crazy, but it will get the charlie horses to go away.