Sugar intake

Options
How many of you count fruit and veg in you sugar intake? I dont think there has been a day where i havn't gone over.

Replies

• SZY0006
    SZY0006 Posts: 23
    Options
    I probably should... but I don't. I'm a sugar fiend. It's a problem.

But really, if I eat a banana with peanut butter for breakfast, my sugar is basically shot for the whole day. Maybe I have a self-control problem (I wouldn't need MFP if I didn't, lol), but I don't like to limit myself to one freaking banana.
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    It's not really a major problem.
  • tryclyn
    tryclyn Posts: 2,414 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical condition that warrants it, it's not necessary worry about sugar too much.
  • svsl0928
    svsl0928 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    That's good to know. I have been wondering about this also.
  • KeyoriNyte
    KeyoriNyte Posts: 13
    Options
    I am glad this forum is here because I was really concerned about how much sugar to take in. I follow my fitness pal calorie counter but my sugar and protein is always in the negative.
  • yaseyuku
    yaseyuku Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I'm almost always over on sugar, mostly from fruit. It hasn't negatively impacted my weight loss so far.
  • Body_Peace
    Body_Peace Posts: 82
    Options
    I pretty much live off fruit so I am always over! But it hasn't affected my weight loss so far, I've been able to lose 35.8 pounds since January 30th even with my obsession with fruit and its sugars haha
  • lucyricky2
    lucyricky2 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    ever since i started counting sugars i have done better with my weight loss..
  • DonnaRe2012
    DonnaRe2012 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    If I'm getting most of my sugar from fruit I don't sweat it to much. But I do really watch my intake of white or processed sugars !!
  • Catlady87
    Catlady87 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I've lost 22bs in 4 months and have never worried about my sugar. I probably should cos it's not from fruit, but it hasn't hampered my weight loss.
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    I do not track my sugar intake at MFP. I have replaced that "label" with sodium that I do want to track.

On the other hand, I have eliminated all processed sugar cane and substitutes from my food preparation.
    I eat my daily sugar from raw fruit.
    I found that some items already have sugar on it like milk, bread, etc. That is enough for me.

Good luck in your journey.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Sugar is just a carb. As long as you're eating enough fats and protein, your carbs/sugar aren't particularly important unless you have a medical issue that requires carbs/sugar to be monitored.

However, it should be noted that fructose and sucrose can only be stored as liver glycogen and not muscle glycogen. The liver can hold 100-120g glycogen so anything more than that will be converted to triglycerides. As long as you still have a calorie deficit this will even out. Just try to make most of your carbs glucose and not sucrose or fructose. Fructose in particular has been shown to decrease exercise performance, increased likelihood of gastrointestinal distress, and increase perception of exertion.

Here are some studies:
    http://www.setantacollege.com/wp-content/uploads/Journal_db/the effects of glucose....pdf

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3592616

As long as you're under your calorie goal, you'll lose weight. Some people find that sugar (even from fruit) causes them to have more sugar/carb cravings so keep that in mind.

For information on setting your macro target, read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/911011-calculating-calorie-macronutrient-needs?page=1#posts-13821336