I want to start lifting!!!!

Options
So I want to begin lifting. And strength training .... Yay!!! But I don't know where to begin... Or even know what and how much to lift.. Any ideas???? Or tips on what to do how many days a week I was thinking 2-3 days and I need to know stuff I can do at the gym..and at home. I can't afford a trainer at the moment :(

Replies

• danipals
    danipals Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    The book The New Rules of Lifting for Women is a good place to start. (There is also a group on MFP for any questions that pop up.) I'd recommend booking a session with a trainer to take you through the routine and make sure that you are doing things correctly to get you started.

Good luck!
  • mkath4
    mkath4 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Check out bodybuilding.com. They have trainers and will set up a program for you based on your needs. It is free and they have great demos on how do to the exercises.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    New Rules of Lifting for Women, Stronglifts 5 x 5 or Starting Strength are all fine for beginners. No trainer required - if you think your form is off, look for the biggest, oldest guy in the weights section and ask him.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    The book The New Rules of Lifting for Women is a good place to start. (There is also a group on MFP for any questions that pop up.) I'd recommend booking a session with a trainer to take you through the routine and make sure that you are doing things correctly to get you started.

Good luck!

Many women love New Rules, and it is a great program, but in my opinion it is a bit complicated with all of the stages and workouts.
    I would recommend starting with something a little more basic and getting the hang of it first, and then moving on to New Rules in 3 to 6 months...but that's just my opinion!

I would read Starting Strength...and here is a link to the exercises in the program...learn the compound lifts...you will not be sorry.

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/The_Starting_Strength_Novice/Beginner_Programs
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    Don't think you can go wrong with Starting Strength or Strong Lifts 5x5. One of these programs will get you started so you're comfortable to move on to something else later.