Walked a 5k today!

Options
kindasortachewy
kindasortachewy Posts: 1,084 Member
I just started the Zombie 5k training app, and I'm starting week 2 tomorrow, as you may or may not know during week 1 you are only running 15 seconds at a time and the whole thing barely lasts 35 minutes - yet I was breathing heavily, sweating profusely, and shuffling like a zombie myself during it. I worked a 12 hour shift last night, and I have to work another 12 hour shift tonight but something in me wanted to get out there and do it.. a 5k.

I mostly walked, I tried to jog when I could, I wanted to quit but I didn't. I finished a 5k. It did take me a whopping 52 minutes and 3 seconds, and whenIi saw the time I was almost embarrassed and I wasn't going to post it on my profile, then I thought. NO WAY! I am PROUD of myself - this is coming from the asthmatic girl born with holes in her lungs who used her inhaler to run the mile in high school. Plus, now I have a goal to work towards in terms of timing, and most of all, I know I can!

Thanks for letting me share my NSV today :)

Replies

• JaimeCST
    JaimeCST Posts: 118
    Options
    Great job!! I did the C25K and it is an awesome feeling when you run that whole thing. Keep up the good work!
  • winning12
    winning12 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    That is great to do it after 1 week. I did run the 5K, but I did it after 4 weeks of training. I am now running 5 miles 3x a week. Today I ran 5.58 miles. My next goal is to run the 10K.

Keep going at it and you will be running it before you know it. You are a fighter!!!
  • buzzcockgirl
    buzzcockgirl Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Great job, and great outlook on things! You are right, now you have a goal to work toward.... a faster time!
    AWESOME!!! Keep up the great work!
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Good for you! You went out there and got it done. Whoop!
  • Tamm04
    Tamm04 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    You should be proud! Great job.
  • ms_leanne
    ms_leanne Posts: 523
    Options
    Well done. You will build up to it and you're going the right way about it by running when you can. Eventually you will cut down that walking time. x
  • wheezeybouncer
    wheezeybouncer Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    awesome! I can walk the 5K easily.. running just isn't my forte. Lungs don't like me LOL.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Well done!!
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this!!! You SHOULD be proud, and kudos for just getting up and moving when you're working that much.
  • walk_fit
    walk_fit Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I am 50 yrs old and as a gift to myself I am doing my first 5K on June 9th. Today I jog/walked 2 miles my time was 36.40. Three weeks to go and I have to get some real serious training .

Great job doing your 5K.
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Just saw this on FB and it made me think of this post, because YOU are the busy one!

0a69527c-e1af-46b1-baa5-8f1098fd1b35_zps00c1a864.jpg[/URL]
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    You should absolutely be proud of yourself! Interval training works, just stick with it. After a month or two it'll feel totally different to you, it's amazing.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    I'm on my 2nd week for the second time of Zombies5k, I'm proud when I get through a day, and I'm still huffing and puffing, and trying to jog (very slowly :laugh: ) as much as I can. You're out there, you're doing it, and by golly, you did a 5k. Congratulations!
    (and if you ever want a group to read on, there is a Zombies, Run and Zombies5k group)
  • maryannelk
    maryannelk Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    The coolest part is that even though you have what sounds like a crazy work schedule and you wanted to quit, you kept going! Awesome!
  • yspen42
    yspen42 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Good job!
  • boatsie77
    boatsie77 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Great job! Every successful person had to start somewhere...even at your slowest time, you are light years ahead of those folks sitting on the sidelines coming up with excuses why they can't get off their collective arses. You're ready to sign up for a 5K now that takes place in the next few weeks. Doing that now will fix your radar on training for it....most every successful MFPer has a photo of them finishing a 5K--time to add one to your profile. You've got this!
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Go you! Keep on keepin' on and before you know it, you'll run that whole thing.
  • Charlottelll
    Charlottelll Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Way to go!
  • JMRod
    JMRod Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Great job! I also ran a 5k today (my second) and while my time was slllllooooooow (46.10), I did knock off 4 minutes from my first 5k in March.

I used C25K and felt like you....those 15 second jogs were killers! I looked ahead to week 4 or 5 and noticed that I was supposed to run 20 minutes and thought I would never be able to do that. Well, I did it and have moved on to a 10k app just for the structure that I still need.

Keep going and you will be RUNNING a 5k sooner than you think;-)
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Nawce. Walk first, run later...

Be proud!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!