How much water is 8 cups?

Options
**OK, I am editing this, as it seems funny to some people**

A cup in Europe apparently is not the same as a cup in the US, so don't make fun, it's just a matter of measurements, ok? We've pretty much established that the intake should be around 2L a day, so thank you to those who actually understood my question and helped. Geez.

"Hey,

Sorry is this has been asked before, I tried searching but didn't find the answer.

MFP mentions 8 cups of water a day... but what size cups? What is the recommended intake of water per day? I have been drinking 3 glasses (375ml) a day and I have no idea if I'm doing this right or not!

Help?

Thanks in advance!"

Replies

• deannakittygirl
    deannakittygirl Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    a cup of water = a cup as in 8 ounces. like a measuring cup or in metric 250ml. so 8 of those is standard for how much water we need.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Probably a standard cup or 8 ounces.

I personally drink 1/2 - 1 gallon of water a day.
  • lnxjenn
    lnxjenn Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Roughly 2 Litres per day, or half gallon worth. I have a bottle that holds 32 oz, and drink at least 2 of those a day! In addition to whatever else I drink, like tea or juice.
  • 5n0wbal1
    5n0wbal1 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    It's eight 8-ounce cups. 64 ounces total, or two quarts, or half a gallon.
  • SJ46
    SJ46 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    8 cups = 64 ounces = 1892.71 millilieters

Drink up!
  • LadyLiege
    LadyLiege Posts: 23
    Options
    Thanks for your help! ;)
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    :

care to enlighten us why you find it funny? It's a legit question, and I'm a newbie. So if you don't want to help, don't, but refrain from making fun of others, K? Thanks.
    If you are European it's understandable as they don't use cups. If you're North American, well...
    Stay in school. :wink:
    My guess is that you don't cook at all.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    Probably a standard cup or 8 ounce
  • LadyLiege
    Options
    :

care to enlighten us why you find it funny? It's a legit question, and I'm a newbie. So if you don't want to help, don't, but refrain from making fun of others, K? Thanks.
    If you are European it's understandable as they don't use cups. If you're North American, well...
    Stay in school. :wink:
    My guess is that you don't cook at all.

Well, actually I am a biologist. And yes, I'm European. All I wanted was a measurement for the "cups", that's all. Thanks.
  • totalsham
    totalsham Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Hey,

Sorry is this has been asked before, I tried searching but didn't find the answer.

MFP mentions 8 cups of water a day... but what size cups? What is the recommended intake of water per day? I have been drinking 3 glasses (375ml) a day and I have no idea if I'm doing this right or not!

Help?

Thanks in advance!

Im printing this and hanging over my sink....
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    This question confuses me. A cup is a cup? That's like asking how heavy a pound is...

ETA: Oh, I see you're European! That makes a lot more sense. For the record, your units of measurement make a lot more sense to me :)
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    @ kayduro:

Your helpful input has been reported, thank you for helping.

Just so you know, if you report everyone who makes a funny/ sarcastic comment on the forums, you're probably not going to make a lot of friends.

The trolls are pretty advanced here, and I wouldn't put it past somebody to make a post like this just to troll.

Please don't report me. I'm trying to help you.
  • LadyLiege
    Options
    @ slkehl:

Actually, not that confusing. Do you only have 1 kind of cup in the US? In my cupboard I have expresso cups, coffee cups, tea cups, milk cups, wine glasses, water glasses, juice glasses, etc etc etc (I could go on, but I don't see the point). See why it is a legit question now? A pound is a measurement, a cup is an object which can vary in size.
  • candacefausset
    candacefausset Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    8-8 oz cups is what they mean. However, that's typically best for a person at their ideal weight. The best rule of thumb I have come by is to drink half your weight in ounces of water a day. If you weigh 150 pounds- drink 75 ounces, 200 pounds- drink 100 ounces, etc.
  • pixtotts
    pixtotts Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    1 cup - 236.59 ml or 8fl oz
    half pint drinking glass is 284ml a pint drinking glass is 568ml
    I looked into this when I saw it said 8 cups... being from the UK a cup is as accurate as a bowl or a handful to me ... so me 8 cups is actually 6 and just over half half pint glasses... or 3 and just under a quarter pints...
    3 and a bit pint glasses of water sounds much much easier to get in than 8 cups :D
    x
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    This question confuses me. A cup is a cup? That's like asking how heavy a pound is...

No it's not. You're assuming that all cups are the same size (they're not), or that everyone knows they mean a measuring cup (not everyone does), or that all regions use cups as standard units of measuring. (They don't.)

And it would perfectly legitimate to ask how heavy a pound is, if you are not used to that particular unit. Get out of your bubble, not everyone lives the way you do.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Actually, not that confusing. Do you only have 1 kind of cup in the US? In my cupboard I have expresso cups, coffee cups, tea cups, milk cups, wine glasses, water glasses, juice glasses, etc etc etc (I could go on, but I don't see the point). See why it is a legit question now? A pound is a measurement, a cup is an object which can vary in size.
    They're measuring cups - 238 ml from memory. You might find them marked on the scale of a kitchen measuring jug in the UK, and you can buy sets of cup measures - 1, 1/2, 1/4 etc - to make it easy.

Americans seem to like them for cooking, I think they are ok for liquids or free flowing powders but beyond useless for anything else.

Also worth knowing that UK and US pints and fluid ounces aren't the same either, and the whole 8 cups thing is pretty groundless.
  • LadyLiege
    Options

No it's not. You're assuming that all cups are the same size (they're not), or that everyone knows they mean a measuring cup (not everyone does), or that all regions use cups as standard units of measuring. (They don't.)

And it would perfectly legitimate to ask how heavy a pound is, if you are not used to that particular unit. Get out of your bubble, not everyone lives the way you do.

:flowerforyou: thanks, that's exactly what I mean!
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m9rceedv6U1qdxn02o1_500.gif

Nah, but seriously: One 375 ml glass is about 1.59 cups (US). That times 3 is 4.77 cups (US). Double that, and you're good to go.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    @ slkehl:

That is the funny part. A cup is a unit of measurement. You are thinking in terms of drinking cups.