So what would you do?

tgh1914
tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
edited September 21 in Motivation and Support
So here I've been watching my nutrition pretty close. I've made lots of improvements and overcome peer pressure & some friendly razzing with my 'healthy' food choices when we go out to eat, etc. Here's my latest predicament though. I've been chosen (assigned) to be a judge at a bake-off for my church. It's just me and two others who are to decide on the best tasting recipes. Oh, and I'm Mormon - so they're sure to be delicious but rich, fattening foods.

I'm thinking I'm just gonna have to do a lot of extra working out afterward. What would you do?

Replies

• Learning2LoveMe
    Learning2LoveMe Posts: 1,430 Member
    I would take small bites of everything I have to judge... no need to take a big bite, it will taste the same as if you take small ones. I'd also try to squeeze in a workout beforehand, or afterwards. Keep up your water intake and you'll be fine.

Have fun tasting all the yummy food!
  • karenbreaux
    karenbreaux Posts: 10 Member
    I would ask to be replaced as a judge. I don't think that you should be tempting yourself with junk foods while you are still trying to create a healthy eating lifestyle change. Save yourself and have a small piece of the winning recipe as a reward for something you do for yourself that week, or for an extra hard workout that you do.
  • If its a large amount of people participating, I would have them replace me as a judge...if its a handful of people, i'd take small bites just to get the taste down and make sure you track them....you can also ask the people who have made the dishes what they used in the dishes to get an idea of proper calorie intake.
  • Shawna_831
    Shawna_831 Posts: 316
    Small bites and work out hard after.
  • annastasia76
    annastasia76 Posts: 123 Member
    what type of food will you be judging, it is the typical chili cookoff or something else, if it's chili I wouldn't worry too much about it, just take tiny portions and savor it rather than eating larger amounts. If it's other things I would still do the same but add in some extra exercise, if you are really worried you can carry some paper towels around with you and spit it back out. But I think that it's just one evening and I wouldn't worry too much about it, just get back on track the next day.

by the way I'm LDS also.
  • tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    I would ask to be replaced as a judge. I don't think that you should be tempting yourself with junk foods while you are still trying to create a healthy eating lifestyle change. Save yourself and have a small piece of the winning recipe as a reward for something you do for yourself that week, or for an extra hard workout that you do.

What makes this hard is that they are a couple youth groups that are doing the baking and they specifically asked us 3 to do the judging. I'd kinda feel like I'm disappointing them if I turn them down. Oh well, I think I'll just have to do some extra workout.
  • scrappymel
    scrappymel Posts: 107 Member
    i vote for one bite of each and workout after. there's no need to deprive oneself of EVERY fun thing surrounding food on this journey.
  • sunshine79
    sunshine79 Posts: 758 Member
    Just a tiny taste of each one (no more than a mouthful) workout loads on the days before and on the day of the event. Drink loads of water and you'll be fine

and finally.... pray for self control not to over indulge :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • pressica
    pressica Posts: 361
    I would plan ahead by increasing my exercise and then pray that your service doesn't result in tight pants. Have fun and enjoy yourself.
  • Do they know you are dieting and trying to eat healthy? Are these the same "friends" who don't support you in your choices, To my way of thinking, if someone is not for you, they are against you. People who care may tease a bit, but are going to stand behind you and try and support you in your choice to be healthier. This said, let them know that you can't stay honest to your own choices and be a judge at the same time. A conflict of interest. If they insist, then it's clear, they don't believe in you, your choices, and really don't care about your health and wellness. From there, you'll have to decide what's more important, your health, or trying to keep them pacified...
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    So here I've been watching my nutrition pretty close. I've made lots of improvements and overcome peer pressure & some friendly razzing with my 'healthy' food choices when we go out to eat, etc. Here's my latest predicament though. I've been chosen (assigned) to be a judge at a bake-off for my church. It's just me and two others who are to decide on the best tasting recipes. Oh, and I'm Mormon - so they're sure to be delicious but rich, fattening foods.

I'm thinking I'm just gonna have to do a lot of extra working out afterward. What would you do?

Oh man, no way you can get out of that I bet :frown:

I think you have hit the nail on the head with the working out afterward bit to be honest. Just take small bites or say they all look awful and you wouldn't touch any of them with a bargepole - only joking :laugh:

The very best of luck with that, not enviable :noway:
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
  • For myself , this isn't a diet, it's a lifestyle'
    so avoiding foods you are bound to eat in proportions isn't necessary
    small bites, have fun, don't stuff yourself full regardless
    and workout before
    just in case you don't feel like it afterwards
    lifestyle
    which means, all cases, find a way to make it lifestyle
This discussion has been closed.