How much water is 8 cups?

Options

Replies

• cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    @ slkehl:

Actually, not that confusing. Do you only have 1 kind of cup in the US? In my cupboard I have expresso cups, coffee cups, tea cups, milk cups, wine glasses, water glasses, juice glasses, etc etc etc (I could go on, but I don't see the point). See why it is a legit question now? A pound is a measurement, a cup is an object which can vary in size.

Again, in the States a cup is a unit of measurement. 1 cup=8 oz. Not knocking you or calling you stupid, because I understand the metric system is totally different. And in some areas of the US the word cup isn't often used to refer to the object with which you drink out of. I more often hear the term "mug" to refer to what you would drink your tea or coffee out of and glass for everything else.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    @ slkehl:

Actually, not that confusing. Do you only have 1 kind of cup in the US? In my cupboard I have expresso cups, coffee cups, tea cups, milk cups, wine glasses, water glasses, juice glasses, etc etc etc (I could go on, but I don't see the point). See why it is a legit question now? A pound is a measurement, a cup is an object which can vary in size.

In the United States, a cup IS a standard unit of measurement, which is why Americans might find this a funny question. When we cook, we use cup measures. They are called US customary units. Here's what they look like:

https://www.google.com/search?q=cup measurements&aq=0&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=9LCXUYa3LqOziwKK8oDoDw&biw=1024&bih=634&sei=97CXUbqZAsagigLxiYCwBQ#imgrc=_
  • WDEvy
    WDEvy Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    1 cup = 250 ml
    8 cups = 2L
  • WDEvy
    Options
    And for the record, we use Cups as a unit of measure in Canada as well and we do not use to imperial system.

If you notice they have ML measurements written on them too.

41A3NCQPXYL._SX300_.jpg

tumblr_mmcw8mofwG1r5xzspo1_400.jpg
  • LadyLiege
    LadyLiege Posts: 23
    Options
    OK, so US use the term "cup" for something very specific... hmm. Then I would think it useful for the MFP site to include that info for those of us who are not in or from the States. Not UK either. But again, thank you all who helped. And to those who think it funny or reason to pass judgement: think twice, we are not all the same and we do not all use the same languages or measurements.

And to "whierd", cup is not part of the International System of Units, unfortunately.
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    This question confuses me. A cup is a cup? That's like asking how heavy a pound is...

ETA: Oh, I see you're European! That makes a lot more sense. For the record, your units of measurement make a lot more sense to me :)

Cup as a measurement is an American thing, it maybe obvious to you but it means nothing to over 5 billion people in this planet.

That would like a British person saying "A stone is a stone?" or a Turkish person saying "A carat is a carat".

Just cause something makes sense to you doesn't mean it does for the rest of the world. Try to expand your mind beyond your borders and think globally.
  • Clovergirl143
    Clovergirl143 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    @ slkehl:

Very true, which is why I had a hard time at first thinking I had to drink 8 'cups' of water. However, here in the US, a 'cup' is also a unit of measurement which is equal to 8 oz, so when I actually measured my 'cup' it turned out to be about 3 cups worth of water! I can see how it would be confusing, hope this helps! :)
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    How is it that so many people don't realize she is asking this cuz she's on the metric system?
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    One time I asked my mom "how much is a cup" and my sister and mom will never let me live it down. They were like "uhhh...a cup...". But really, I was asking how many OUNCES are in a cup. It's all in a phrase...lol
  • WDEvy
    Options
    Oh lookie... They use it in Mexico too! http://allrecipes.com.mx/receta/216/pastel-de-tres-leches-ii.aspx

It's a North America thing I guess...
  • WDEvy
    Options
    How is it that so many people don't realize she is asking this cuz she's on the metric system?

Because it has nothing to do with the Metric system
    A cup is a cup. It's a unit of measure used everywhere in North America ( even if only the US uses imperial)
    If you ask me what a cup is I'll tell you 250 ml not 8 oz.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options

It's because we are ignorant Americans, and we think the world revolves around us. Has nothing to do with a moments confusion from using standard cups on a daily basis.
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    Oh lookie... They use it in Mexico too! http://allrecipes.com.mx/receta/216/pastel-de-tres-leches-ii.aspx

A bunch of people around the world have to use it due to American influence from the internet, the website is American based and translated.
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    I thought of cups as ....tea cups or coffee cups...when i first got to the States....Im from Asia.

When i started learning how to bake, someone taught me all about the US measuring system...where a cup IS the measuring system:laugh:

That sounded extremely...weird to me since everyone has different size cups in their homes...but thankfully i had friends who taught me all the little details first off.

So..i understand the confusion... Glad there are people in here who took the time to be helpful and explain it to the OP :flowerforyou:
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,550 Member
    Options
    I deleted all the replies that I felt were unhelpful. This is a legitimate question and deserves considerate answers.

Stormieweather
    MFP Forum Moderator
  • fjrandol
    fjrandol Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I think your question is totally legitimate. My husband recently asked me almost the same thing. Since he doesn't cook, and has never used a measuring cup, he wanted to know what kind of glass he was supposed to use for the "8 cups of water". :smile: I adhere to the rule of no stupid questions, only stupid people, as evidenced by some of the yahoos who were responding to you.

Now drink up! :drinker:
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options

Cup as a measurement is an American thing, it maybe obvious to you but it means nothing to over 5 billion people in this planet.

That would like a British person saying "A stone is a stone?" or a Turkish person saying "A carat is a carat".

Just cause something makes sense to you doesn't mean it does for the rest of the world. Try to expand your mind beyond your borders and think globally.

This :ohwell:
  • WDEvy
    Options

A bunch of people around the world have to use it due to American influence from the internet, the website is American based and translated.

I have never seen in my life a measuring cup set with oz on it ( Sold outside the US I mean) . It's not just Americans, has nothing to do with the Imperial system. It actually even makes more sense in the metric one a cup is 250 ml! It's a standard normal measurement.

I'm way too bored to when I argue with random internet folks about something this silly.
  • LadyLiege
    LadyLiege Posts: 23
    Options
    @ Stormieweather:

Thank you very much. I feel quite ridiculed for asking a question, and I honestly don't think that's what this site is supposed to transmit to its users. :s
  • dan323
    dan323 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I use a water jug, it is 2 liters. I try to drink that daily, or at least half of it daily.