non dairy milk substitute help

Options
Hi,

I have a gluten allergy but recently figured out that I am also allergic to dairy. Does anyone have any suggestions on non dairy milk substitutes that taste good in cereal and just as a glass to drink? There are so many brands and kinds to choose from and I am just overwhelmed.

Any suggestions are appreciated. :)

Replies

• brentbarrie
    brentbarrie Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    MY wife and I are trying Almond Milk tomorrow. Not sure if it has dairy in it or not.
  • ukyates85
    ukyates85 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    you best bet would be to try either almond milk,coconut milk, oat milk or soya milk
  • phoo513
    phoo513 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I am also gluten sensitive and lactose intolerant, so welcome to my world. I have found that vanilla/almond milk is pretty good on cereal, but even that can sometimes upset my stomach. The coconut beverage (mixed w/ soy) is gentler on my stomach, but does not taste as rich as the almond milk tastes. I think we can do well supporting each other, may I "friend" you?
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    I like both Coconut milk and Almond milk a lot be careful though try to get the unsweetened ones or they are loaded with sugar!
  • mermaidthrone
    Options
    Almond milk is my favourite for coffee and smoothies. It tastes especially good in coffee, actually. Better than dairy!

Ironically, though, I'm all dairy right now because of my living situation.

And no, almond milk does not have any dairy in it. You can even make it at home; soak raw almonds overnight in water, drain and rinse, then blitz with more water in a blender until smooth. Strain through a nut milk bag or really fine mesh sieve. Google for measurements.
  • 61keys
    61keys Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    We use either almond or coconut milk.
  • nickymarie011
    nickymarie011 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Silk unsweetened almond milk is great. I try to stay away from real milk too, it makes me sick so I think I am allergic to it. I would definitely give almond milk a shot if I were you. I use it with my protein shakes, cereal, and even a bit to make my scrambled eggs with! As someone else stated, the sweetened or flavored versions are not so healthy for ya, lots of sugar - so stray from those.
  • Fruit4dessert
    Fruit4dessert Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Another vote for unsweetened almond milk. I've been lactose intolerant for several years, and I've tried lots of non-dairy milks (soy, rice, etc.) and almond milk has been the only one that I like on cereal. It's great in coffee and smoothies, too. And it's VERY low in calories. One cup of Silk brand vanilla unsweetened almond milk has 30 or 40 calories (I forget exactly!). I also like Trader Joe's brand of unsweetened almond milk (vanilla or plain, depends on your taste preference) which is equally low in calories, 40 I think.
  • shalysewrightbethea
    shalysewrightbethea Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Coconut milk, soy milk, almond milk( I buy raw almonds in bulk and then soak them overnight, then put them in the blender with three cups of water and strain. It taste better to me than store bought but it spoils in a week.) I love almond milk and my hubby like coconut milk.
    With homemade almond milk you can take what you strain and make a yummy cereal after you have dried it in the oven with oats and honey added.
    When baking almond milk is a great substitute.
  • JDBLY11
    JDBLY11 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I have a gluten allergy but recently figured out that I am also allergic to dairy. Does anyone have any suggestions on non dairy milk substitutes that taste good in cereal and just as a glass to drink? There are so many brands and kinds to choose from and I am just overwhelmed.

Any suggestions are appreciated. :)

There is soy milk, almond milk, coconut milk and rice milk. My dad prefers rice milk or coconut milk. I like almond milk. My husband is not really picky. He will drink whatever we have. You should just try different kinds and see what you prefer. I like the Almond Breeze brand.