strength training...calories

Options
How do you properly add strength training calories to MFP? I added all the exercise, reps,and weight. When I went to add the time it took it said 56 calories? Is this right?

Replies

• Vegasboricua702
    Options
    Look for strength training under cardiovascular, and then add how many minutes you did.
  • Morninglory81
    Morninglory81 Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    If you kept your heart rate up (little rest between reps) use cardio as stated.
    If you rested and let your heart rate drop it is prob right.

The benefit to weight lifting isn't the initial cal burn but the change in the composition of your body( more muscle burns more than fat on a daily basis)

Hope this helped:happy:
  • WDEvy
    WDEvy Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    It burns roughly 100 cals per 20-25 min. Log it under Cardio in MFP.
  • dittmarml
    dittmarml Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    This doesn't answer your question, is just my perspective - I don't bother with adding lifting calories. The MFP numbers aren't really set up for it, most people don't track it properly (unless you're wearing a HRM and even then, those are built for cardio more than for weight lifting). As another poster said the value of lifting is that it increases muscle mass which leads to a more efficient burn throughout the day, also it stabilizes joints, reducing injury, and finally you'll be stronger (and fit into clothes better!)

I make sure I get some cardio every day - even if it's just a 20 minute walk - and track the lifting so I can see what's going on with general fitness. The most important thing is that you're doing it! Good luck!
  • snowmanluv
    snowmanluv Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I am learning everyday on here. Agree that cardio is a better burn.
  • Daniele1213
    Daniele1213 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I was counting my weight training as pilates. I know it certainly was not an accurate way, but it was the most similar because you don't work up your heart rate. However, I just bought a polar FT 7 heart rate monitor. It is way more accurate even for cardio. The machines can sometimes actually almost double your calories. I have only been on MFP for about 3 weeks...........I love it and I love everyone's feed back. Good luck!
  • h9dlb
    h9dlb Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Strength training doesn't burn many calories while you are doing it but the "After burn" lasts 36 hours (much longer than cardio, and it significantly raises your metabolism.

Also building more muscle burns more calories per day, whereas cardio actually burns muscle (hence lowering your metabolism). This is why the conventional wisdom is that strength training is better for fat loss.