Vitamins?

junco1971
junco1971 Posts: 26 Member
I already take One A Day for Women multivitamin, I was wondering if there were any other vitamins that a female over 40 should take?

Replies

• Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,175 Member
    I take Lutein for my eyes and Biotin for my hair and nails. And vitamin C.
  • ohmscheeks
    ohmscheeks Posts: 840 Member
    It will depend on how much or little vitamins and nutrients you manage to get from food/drink... For example, if you already consume a lot of oranges or other citrus fruit, there's no need to waste money on vitamin C...

Warning, I am only an Internet scientist
  • junco1971
    well I have been eating a big bowl of grapes and strawberries and oranges for lunch but I'm not sure that is enough vitamin c for the day.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    If you're eating a healthy balanced diet, you should be getting more than enough vitamins and minerals to meet your needs. Even the less healthy stuff is often fortified these days .
  • Sycoholic
    Sycoholic Posts: 282 Member
    As long as you're not on a crazy restrictive diet then you should be fine with just a multi. If you're eating proper well balanced meals then you probably don't even need that. Personally I take a multi and fish oil. I find the fish oil really helps with my joints.
  • ScattyGirl73
    ScattyGirl73 Posts: 25 Member
    I always start my day with an effervescent vitamin C tablet in 500mls of water. Its over 1000% of the vit c you need for a day, but as the body just flushes out what you don't need of that particular vitamin anyway, I don't think it does any harm. The older I get, and with small children I seem to be more susceptible to colds these days that quickly turn into something more nasty. I have heard that you can take vit c up to bowel tolerance level anyway...not that I want to push that one and see how far I can go.
    I also take a womans vitamin, usually these contain oil of evening primrose, which I have to be careful with because if I miss one, I start to get stomach cramps and breast discomfort, which is a bit of a nuisance. In the UK we can get multivitamins especially tailored for specific age groups also. I'm sure you can too. I also take CoQ10 to try and increase my energy and improve my skin and gum health. I get these from Amazon because the price on the high street is just a joke.
  • affacat
    affacat Posts: 216 Member
    i take:
    2 out of the recommended 3 multis (for my brand) a day... one at morning, one at night.
    2 glucosamines in the morning, 1 at night (stopped joint pain for me)
    1 calcium-mag morning, 1 at night
    a d-1000
    a vegan omega-3 dha-epa (made with algae rather than fish)
    plus i get some more vitamins with my lunch shake, as well as my food intake.

do i need them all? who knows. i know all my post-exercise joint pain has left me since i started taking the glucosamine. the rest is just to cover my bases. i spread out pills with a serving size of more than 1 daily between breakfast and dinner to spread out absorption through the day.

i definitely have expensive pee, but at the same time, i know i'm getting what i need.
  • Oriole15
    Oriole15 Posts: 58
    You might find this summary of studies of the effect of supplementation on health helpful in making your choice
    http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/antioxidants/
  • Peanutbutterx
    Peanutbutterx Posts: 332
    calcium, vitamin D for bone strength for when you enter menopause. i bought some for my mom the other day. also i take vitamin C for immune system
  • junco1971
    I went on GNC and found a multi pack for women and something to help with joint pain. The reviews made them seem like good products so I hope they work.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    I take a multi with d3..
    D3 1,000 iud (because I have a deficiency)
    1 our of the 3 doses of calcium, magnesium and zinc tablets..
    I am considering and eye one. .but unsure if I need it or not..
    I was taking fish oil for my heart.. and I may start that again soon as well.

I don't think I need them all, but it's hard to know if you're getting everything from your food or not. And IMO the money spent on the vitamins is well worth it.. since ER visits and medical tests are ridiculously expensive!!