Need to loose weight more than ever now...

Options
I had fallen off the wagon for a while and I started to feel like crap health wise so I went to the doctor. Last week I was diagnosed with pre-diabetes and if I don't do something really soon it will turn into full blown type 2 diabetes. I have already been put on diabetic meds and my doctor wants me to walk 2 miles 4-5 days a week, which I started tonight. I have also been restricted to where I am not allowed to look at the scale unless I am at the doctors office. I go back again on August 26th to see if any of this has had any effect on my blood glucose.

I just need some support and help from everyone here. I have so many risk factors for diabetes and I would really like to take the obesity away.

Replies

• futureredheadhottie
    Options
    You can do this.
  • tn2010
    tn2010 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    You can do this! I had a similar scare with gestational diabetes which now puts me at high risk for Type 2. I am lucky because I am the daughter of a Type I diabetic mom, so I know the best foods to put in my mouth...I just have to cut back on portion sizes and EXERCISE. I have found that exercise has made all the difference for me when paired with my healthy eating. Healthy eating did nothing for me w/o being more active. You'll be off meds in no time if you really commit to this :flowerforyou:
  • kgleason121
    Options
    You can do this. Try to limit your sugar to no more than 15g per day and monitor your food intake wisely. Think smart and think healthy and next visit you WILL see improvement !!
  • flyingspatulas
    flyingspatulas Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    You can do it! Health is a good motivator, and so are all the great people here on MFP! :)
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    Your health is priority ONE! That should prove to be a strong motivator to make it happen! Hope you have strong support/encouragement at home. Clean out those cabinets and get rid of the white flour and white sugar products; that will make all the difference in the world. Good luck to you on your journey!
  • LosingForMe
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I understand how you feel, I went to the doctor today and left crying for similiar reasons, but their intent is good and we are all motivated by different things. Your health is important, and we can overcome this obstacle. I just signed up for my fitness pal because /i had heard many good things about it. Best of luck, we can do this. Take care!
  • Kpatty
    Kpatty Posts: 41
    Options
    I'd love to be you MFP friend. We can encourage each other! :o) It's never easy to change habits but the more you hold yourself accountable and surround yourself with people who love and encourage you...you will succeed! Your life is important and change can happen one small step at a time!
  • Buppie
    Buppie Posts: 43
    Options
    I am in the same boat. I had gestational diabetes while pregnant with my daughter and have since gained weight - which led to pre-diabetes. I have been doing this for 5 weeks and lost 18 pounds so far. I still have my moments/days of weakness, but we have such a great support group on here.
  • jodipeyton
    Options
    I have high blood pressure and needed to start walking too. My doctor put me on a gradual scale of walking starting out at 15 minutes per day and adding 2-3 minutes each day instead of walking a whole 2 miles right off the bat. After a week of the gradual increase - walking 30-45 minutes per day is easy. I wake up and give myself 15 minutes to be dressed and out the door to walk before coming back to get ready for work. I didn't think I could do it, but I am - and you can too. Good Luck.
  • butterflyuwf
    Options
    Keep It Up! Just like many of the other posts, your health is number one! Not being able to look at the scale can sometimes bring nice surprises, and walking is a great way to exercise!
  • mrtechaddict
    Options
    There are many good suggestions already, but I want to throw one more out there.....eat more often. The trick to living with diabetes, or in your case, trying not to have to deal with it at all, is to learn to control the spikes in your sugars. The body can only process the sugar so fast, if you spread your eating out more in the day...like maybe every 3 hours or so, you'll feel fuller, and your sugars won't spike.

Yeah, you have to learn what foods you need to avoid, but I've managed to lose 100lbs in 6 months, and get my sugars completely under control, and the only thing I've given up is regular soda. Eat a little something every 3 hours, drink lots of water, and walk like crazy and you'll be amazed at the results! :noway: