Weight loss frustration

Options
I recently joined my fitness pal to keep track of my calories. I needed to step up my efforts to lose weight. The last couple weeks I have been working out hard core and watching my calories like a hawk. I decided today/Monday would be the day to weigh myself and see if I had lost a couple of pounds.

To my dismay I had not lost anything!!! I have gained 0.4 pounds!! I know that's not much but I was expecting to see some kind of result to all my work. I'm just so frustrated. What can I do to break through this wall? I have already cut out sugar and bread and I'm exercising like crazy.

--Kristin

Replies

• Qbanldy
    Qbanldy Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I know it's easy to get frustrated but hang in there your hard work will pay off. Make sure that you're eating a balanced diet. Your body needs "good" carbs and plenty of fiber. Maybe you are working out too much. I always find that my weight loss it much better with moderate excersize. Working out "lake crazy" can make you retain some water and my muscles tend to swell. Don't forget muscles weighs more than fat so... maybe you're putting on muscle :happy: It doesn't mean you can work out like crazy later but just see if it helps.
    Good luck! :wink:
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,526 Member
    Options
    That does sound frustrating! Could it be some kind of a thyroid issue? I would track very carefully, and take it in to the doctor to discuss.

Also, I know everyone says not to, but I weigh every day. It could be that on the day you weighed you had retained a lot of water. I feel like I get a better picture weighing every day. And I don't get upset if I go up for a day or two. I look for the overall trend. But my weight loss has not always fallen on the same day every week!
  • Scncartist
    Scncartist Posts: 173
    Options
    Make sure you are measuring yourself. If you are gaining muscle you'll notice it in a smaller waist/bust line (and other places as well). Don't just assume that, if your cloths are still fitting pretty much the same you aren't loosing.

I've lost an inch. My fiance claims that he can notice, but my clothes and the mirror don't reflect that.
  • Edestiny7
    Edestiny7 Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Taking your measurements is a better gauge of how your body is changing. And a pound of muscle retains far more water, and takes up less space, than a pound of fat. Make sure you are drinking enough water and watch your sodium intake which makes you retain water. The AHA recommends 1500 mg. max for everyone. And I agree, you should not be cutting out whole grains or fruit. Stick with it, it will come off.
  • FitMama1982
    FitMama1982 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Taking your measurements is a better gauge of how your body is changing. And a pound of muscle retains far more water, and takes up less space, than a pound of fat. Make sure you are drinking enough water and watch your sodium intake which makes you retain water. The AHA recommends 1500 mg. max for everyone. And I agree, you should not be cutting out whole grains or fruit. Stick with it, it will come off.

I was going to say the same thing as you. You're right about the sodium. There was a point I didn't realize I was taking in so much of it until I really started looking at what I was eating along with the sodium of it. ;)
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    I gained the first week also. Not sure if it is muscle weight or water weight but hang in there - next week you will see a loss! I am keeping my fingers crossed for you!
  • missallie
    Options
    I completely understand where you're coming from. I've started doing MFP again after a hiatus and I'm suddenly having the same issue where I used to have a relatively easy time losing weight. However, when I look at things a little closer, I see that I've been going over my sodium A LOT and sure, I am making up my exercise calories but not necessarily with the healthiest foods.

When I was on this site earlier this year (and saw success), I was weighing myself every day or at least every other day. I tried once a week and I found that I really preferred the other way. I can't exactly explain why; I just felt like I could gauge where I was at better.
  • abricklin
    abricklin Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I know it's easy to get frustrated but hang in there your hard work will pay off. Make sure that you're eating a balanced diet. Your body needs "good" carbs and plenty of fiber. Maybe you are working out too much. I always find that my weight loss it much better with moderate excersize. Working out "lake crazy" can make you retain some water and my muscles tend to swell. Don't forget muscles weighs more than fat so... maybe you're putting on muscle :happy: It doesn't mean you can work out like crazy later but just see if it helps.
    Good luck! :wink:

I really disagree with this. First, muscle does not weigh more than fat. Notthing weighs more than anything else, 1 lb is 1 lb regardless of what you weigh. Muscle is more dense- ie, 1 lb of muscle will take up less space than 1 lb of fat. To replace 1lb of fat, with 1.4lbs muscle, OP would have to be lifting nonstop, it takes WEEKS.

That being said, I never believe one day on the scale, try again tomorrow. You could be retaining water, etc. Do you work out 7 days a week? If not, weigh in the morning after your day off. Also, make sure you are wearing the same thing and weighing at same time. Could TOM be to blame? Not sure how many weeks have gone by.

Lastly, I would drink 10-12 cups of water on days that you work out extra hard/lift to help flush sodium and muscles.
  • djgaris
    djgaris Posts: 1
    Options
    Have you ever had your thyroid blood levels checked? Being hypothyroid can thwart attempts at weight loss despite calorie restriction and exercise. Other symptoms are being tired, cold, menstrual irregularities, infertility, irritability, depression, joint pain, etc., etc.
  • kasactress
    kasactress Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thank you for all the replies! The funny thing is...even though the scale said I had gained weight, my dress pants which are normally snug, fit me better today. :happy: I thought maybe it was just a fluke.

The thyroid issue is a bit scary to me because I do have a lot of those symptoms you listed djgaris! My Mom even had to have most of her thyroid removed when she was a pre-teen. The problem is, I don't have health insurance. I'm a struggling actress and can't afford it right now. I'll look into it as best I can though.
  • sunshine79
    sunshine79 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I had exaxtly the same problem a few weeks ago. I too have a suspected thyroid problem but am reluctant to start taking thyroid medication.

I did a lot of reading and found that with the excessive exercise and low calorie eating I had effectively brought my metabolism to a halt! Over the past few weeks I've corrected this issue buy increasing my lean proteins and eating every 3(ish) hours. I'm now losing about a lb a week - it's slow but it's steady.

Try eating every 3hrs 5 x per day to get your metabolism going. Hope this helps. Feel free to add me as a friend so you can look at my food diary
  • lesley1981
    lesley1981 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    As mentioned before, definitely keep track of your measurements, especially if you are exercising more! And it's a great sign when your clothes are less snug :bigsmile:

I myself hit a plateau for a number of weeks, but when i measured I'd lost a few inches.
  • ksells
    ksells Posts: 1
    Options
    I just don't get it...maybe my brain just isn't wired for this weight loss stuff. i think i eat pretty healthy, but I just can't seem to get the scale to move!!! It's VERY frustrating! Any suggestions? I feel that I eat healthy
  • kasactress
    Options
    ksells what is your exercise routine? I was having trouble with too little exercise keeping me from losing weight and I felt fat all the time. When I exercise regularly, even if I'm not losing weight, I feel better about how I look.

The hardest thing for me to do lately is cutting out bread and excess sugars. I have a huge sweet tooth. I'm still trying to break down a wall I have hit but I'm not going to give up! :wink:
  • kasactress
    Options
    I
    I did a lot of reading and found that with the excessive exercise and low calorie eating I had effectively brought my metabolism to a halt! Over the past few weeks I've corrected this issue buy increasing my lean proteins and eating every 3(ish) hours. I'm now losing about a lb a week - it's slow but it's steady.

Try eating every 3hrs 5 x per day to get your metabolism going. Hope this helps. Feel free to add me as a friend so you can look at my food diary

That's really helpful Sunshine! I will try to snack more. I'm also trying to eat smaller portions at dinner. Sometimes it's so hard to stop eating when you are full because the taste is so good and I've been taught not to waste food. I'm working on this. It's a constant battle.