Any newbie runners...

Options
I can not believe I am even asking this! Lol. I hate running!
BUT at the moment I am restricted on what exercise I do till I see the physiotherapist for my Diastasis Recti.
I find walking boring. We live at the bottom of a massive hill so an ideal challenging exercise location.
I have a few questions for those of you who do run...

How often do you run?
How long is the session?
What do you use to carry- phone, ipod and water bottle?
Does anyone live near me who would like to be running buddies? I live in Haslemere, Surrey.j

Replies

• Jackmichaelsmummy2011
    Options
    Is this an American site?
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    There are people all over the world on this site.

I run 2-3 times a week. Not a newbie runner though.

I run 1 long run, which is about 17km right now - running two half-marathon distance events this season
    I run 1 tempo run for about 8-10km and 1 hill sprints/repeats/interval run.

Then I lift and do other at-home cardio 3 days a week.
  • jorge_007
    jorge_007 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I run virtually everyday. The only day I do not run are when I am sick (very rare,) the weather is really bad or my knees are telling me not to run today. This year I have only missed 17 days of running. My sessions are about 30 minutes everyday. I run between 3.25 and 3.50 miles. I keep running for a bit to complete my 30 minutes. I normally run at the mountains. It's much more fun than a flat surface. I take my phone and headphones to listen to music. I don't carry water. If you're thirsty it's too late.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah what do I take? I wear an iPod, my garmin and a Nathan handheld waterbottle... either a 10oz if I'm going for under an hour or my 20oz if it's hot or I'm going for over an hour.
  • arrawyn79
    arrawyn79 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I'm a newbie runner. Just started a couple months ago (and NEVER ran before that).

I've been getting advice from a veteran runner friend.

I run 3 times a week at the moment. Usually 2miles, but sometimes 3miles (5k)...and on some runs (with my running buddy 8-10k!). If I run 5k/3miles, it takes me about 35 minutes. Sometimes I only run for about 20 minutes. Just depends on how i'm feeling, but usually I try and aim for 5k.

And I have a hoodie that i carry my phone/keys/mp3 player in. Or else pockets in my running pants (or the little tiny pocket of my yoga shorts).

I don't run with a water bottle. just make sure i'm hydrated before the run. And when i get back make sure to drink lots