Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Some people unintentionally discouraging/frustrating me?

Every now and again a friend will say something that bothers me. Its along the lines of "but you just did Zumba yesterday, why do you have to go to the gym today?" and "well you're a better person than me because I only worked out twice this week". I know they aren't intentionally being rude/negative, but its slightly irritating that they can't just say "okay" when I have my own plans of going to the gym.

Also, I don't like it if someone else is dependent upon me for if THEY are going to the gym or not. If they want to go, why don't they just GO?!

And I don't like it when someone pressures me too much to go to the gym when its a day that I don't plan to. I don't see why it is anyone else's business on when I go or when I don't go. Things come up in my life sometimes (like EVERYONE'S LIFE) or I am just taking a rest day (like EVERYONE DOES) and I shouldn't have to listen to how much I "suck" for not going to the gym. I don't do this to other people. If they aren't going I simply say "ok cool see you next time."

Most of these comments/situations are from people who aren't trying to make a big lifestyle change like I am. They might want to lose a couple pounds. I have a LOT of weight to lose and I have very different goals than most of them do. It is frustrating to have these things happen and I don't know what to do or say without having them backlash at me and having it all be my fault in the end. I would just stop talking about the gym and/or my lifestyle changes, but its kind of hard to avoid it altogether because it is a huge part of my life now.

I guess I'm just sick of the comments and wonder if anyone else has friends that do this and what you say/do about it.

Replies

• salladeve
    salladeve Posts: 1,053 Member
    it's like being the only person at the bar drinking a coke, everyone keeps trying to buy you a "real" drink.

Anyway, try not to let them get to you. You know what you are trying to do and your real friends will support that.
  • nolongerXXL
    nolongerXXL Posts: 222 Member
    Don't let them bother you!!! If you need to unfriend them (is that possible on here??) or stop updating them.

YOU do what you need to do to get where you want and forget the naysayers. Don't let their jealous or unwillingness pull you down with them.

Your on the right track and keep on trucking!!!
  • 36patti
    36patti Posts: 6 Member
    The best thing you can do is to remember that their opions of you are none of your busness. How do you feel (physically and mentally matters the most), look at your sucess. Keep up the great work being fit.
  • ScattyGirl73
    ScattyGirl73 Posts: 25 Member
    There are many reasons why people around you aren't always as helpful or encouraging as they might be, aren't there.

I have found that these are usually down to their own insecurities. I have noticed that some feel a little nervous that if you change your life too much then there won't be a place for them anymore. Some find that it makes them question themselves and their own way of life, which can lead to jealousy. This means that instead of being pleased for you about the changes you are making to your life they become resentful. You kind of get the feeling that they are thinking "who does she think she is?!"
    These are the kind of people that I try and distance myself from when I am really on a mission because I find that they drain my energy. Spending my time worrying about what other people think of me is the number one cause of my failures usually.

Although it is good to have like minded people for support, there is also a lot to be said for relying on yourself, facing these issues alone, staying focused and not giving anyone else the opportunity to weaken your resolve and sap your strength.

The real friends understand when there are some things you need to do for yourself. The ones that want you around just to enable themselves to better themselves, or even worse, the ones that want you to remain the same just to keep life how they like it are not what you need in your life.

Good luck with your goals :-)))
  • luckyshilling
    luckyshilling Posts: 229
    The lifestyle choice alienating me from my friends isn't fitness, but I totally get where you are coming from.

My husband and I are the only ones in our circle of friends that decided not to have kids. Getting pretty tired of them condescending to us like we are second class people or mentally disabled because of our lifestyle choice. Apparently since I am 34 and don't want to have a baby I am evil and dumb....at least that is how I am talked to. :grumble:
  • rezn8
    rezn8 Posts: 263 Member
    Some don't really know the work it takes to truly be fit. Alot of them can eat all they want and not gain, but they really aren't fit. When they get older they'll wish they followed your lead.
    I've got a facebook group for to help with accountability and motivation. I have been posting on MFP for 285 days straight and the FB group is coming together very well. I post workouts and daily motivationals along with tips challenges to keep you going. If you are interested just IM me and I'll let you know how to get in.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,887 Member
    If I just relied on what friends wanted me to do, I wouldn't be where I'm at today. And I'm cool with that.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    It is annoying but happens all of the time.

If you have a routine that you like, stick with it!

It is easier said than done but try to tune them out.
  • yaseyuku
    yaseyuku Posts: 871 Member
    The lifestyle choice alienating me from my friends isn't fitness, but I totally get where you are coming from.

My husband and I are the only ones in our circle of friends that decided not to have kids. Getting pretty tired of them condescending to us like we are second class people or mentally disabled because of our lifestyle choice. Apparently since I am 34 and don't want to have a baby I am evil and dumb....at least that is how I am talked to. :grumble:

Experiencing this as well. I don't want to get married or have kids and people are terribly condescending about it.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member

I guess I'm just sick of the comments and wonder if anyone else has friends that do this and what you say/do about it.

It's not just you. It happens to almost everyone trying to make a big change. People are threatened when you try to go against the status quo. It makes them feel bad about themselves.
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Ditch all your friends :wink:

Seriously, are they all friends or just acquaintances?

With `true` friends they will appreciate how you feel and maybe you will look to them for advice also, not necessarily about losing weight but about other issues in your life?

If you are surrounded by people `friends` that do not really fit your criteria of a friend for your lifestyle then find other `friends`
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Huh!

My BF puts my current "fitness" phase down to a temporary blip. Apparently I go through phases lasting no more than 2 years, although I stopped smoking almost 4 years ago and have been a season ticket holder at West Ham for 16 years (my most expensive habit).

I acknowledge their comments, and use it as fuel to reach my goals :smile:
  • Alexandra289
    Alexandra289 Posts: 330 Member
    I know how you feel! I get a lot of comments saying I don't need to go to go to the gym because I went yesterday, etc. I get friends trying to push their bad habits on me too and they take it as some big offence if I don't stuff my face or drink too much - gets frustrating.

The other one I keep getting is 'oh you've lost so much weight and I'm so fat, blah blah'. Don't want to sound horrible but I just want to keep my eating and exercise to myself and not get involved in what other people do!!
  • Cupcakehippiemommy
    Cupcakehippiemommy Posts: 457 Member
    First off congrats on your amazing success thus far!!! :)
    I can relate especially at the beginning. My fam used to think I was starving myself so much so that my grandmother and my mother came to stay with me at diff times for a solid week. I changed nothing about my everyday and they got to see that I actually did eat ALOT and worked out everyday :) Needless to say that stopped lol

Now it's little back handed comments from people who have not seen me in a while "Wow you have lost like a whole other person" "What diet pill or shake did you use?" etc
    Anyway I let those comments roll off me now, I figure they can't take the joy I have gained from all my hard work so why let them?
    Good luck doll!!
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    You can only please you :) No one else will do it for you.
  • easternNCchick
    easternNCchick Posts: 198 Member
    Have a friend like that so I know how you feel. Keeps telling me Im going to get tired of the gym cause I go too much and then going to just quit going all together. No Im sorry, I enjoy it thanks! Ive now turned to the gym when I am upset oppose to food. Sorry you only go to gym twice a week at 20minutes each and then eat 3000 calories plus a day......get off my case.

Sorry OP, I felt your annoyance here and mine came out too
  • 4n6babe
    4n6babe Posts: 33 Member
    Ditch all your friends :wink:

Seriously, are they all friends or just acquaintances?

With `true` friends they will appreciate how you feel and maybe you will look to them for advice also, not necessarily about losing weight but about other issues in your life?

If you are surrounded by people `friends` that do not really fit your criteria of a friend for your lifestyle then find other `friends`

Sometimes I kind of do ditch them a bit on certain things just to have a break lol! Not surprisingly, the two people who I am mainly referring to are actually a couple that I hang out with quite a bit. We get along great on everything else except sometimes they do seem to push my boundaries as far as getting into my business a little too much and/or making the comments that I mentioned. I try to just let it roll and/or start distancing myself a bit once I realize its starting to annoy me, and sometimes I think I even snap back at them for something they say but then I feel bad about it after. I know part of it is probably even my own jealousy and insecurities being brought out by what they say but I guess I have to practice reminding myself that those things they say are a reflection of them and not of me. I sometimes will say something like , "Yeah but you're not looking to lose a lot of weight like I am, so I have to go to the gym more if I want to do this," in order to "explain" myself, which I don't want to have to do. I think I will try to just stay pretty silent the next time something is said. If they do start pressuring me more often to skip out on the gym, I will definitely have to distance myself more seriously. Sometimes it is tempting to go do something else when they mention it, but when I already have made my own plans to work out that day, I don't want to back out of it because that's betraying my own goals and I don't want to have to explain myself to someone for that.
  • 4n6babe
    Have a friend like that so I know how you feel. Keeps telling me Im going to get tired of the gym cause I go too much and then going to just quit going all together. No Im sorry, I enjoy it thanks! Ive now turned to the gym when I am upset oppose to food. Sorry you only go to gym twice a week at 20minutes each and then eat 3000 calories plus a day......get off my case.

Sorry OP, I felt your annoyance here and mine came out too

I'm glad I'm not alone :) Thank goodness for this site so that I can find some people who understand the frustration!
  • 4n6babe
    First off congrats on your amazing success thus far!!! :)
    I can relate especially at the beginning. My fam used to think I was starving myself so much so that my grandmother and my mother came to stay with me at diff times for a solid week. I changed nothing about my everyday and they got to see that I actually did eat ALOT and worked out everyday :) Needless to say that stopped lol

Now it's little back handed comments from people who have not seen me in a while "Wow you have lost like a whole other person" "What diet pill or shake did you use?" etc
    Anyway I let those comments roll off me now, I figure they can't take the joy I have gained from all my hard work so why let them?
    Good luck doll!!

Thank you and congrats on your awesome success as well!! Dealing with family thinking those things must have been difficult, but knowing you didn't change just to make them feel better shows that you are such a strong person! Luckily my family has been pretty supportive whenever I mention what I'm doing, but since they live far away they can be kept at a distance (such a good thing for so many reasons! lol) I will work on letting the negative stuff roll off me! :)
  • 4n6babe
    Thanks for the support, all! :) Its good to know I'm not alone and that others deal with friends who say similar things. I am happy I've got this site for support that can't be found elsewhere at times. I plan to work harder on letting things people say roll off me and also on keeping distance from certain people when I start to feel the annoyance increase.

And for those who have made the decision to not have kids and/or not get married - I think that's AWESOME!! I hate how society puts a standard on what they think we should or shouldn't do in life. I haven't ever had the desire to have kids. I think it would be nice to be married some day but I have yet to even catch myself a good enough guy yet. Til then, I plan on living life the best I can and believing eventually things will fall into place as they should.