starting to jog...need advice!

Options
I have a hiking trail behind my house that goes for 2 miles. Some of the trail is flat but most of it is downhill. I have never jogged before but I have noticed that walking is just not enough to lose the last 20 pounds that I would like. Any advice for a first time jogger? I hope to be able to eventually jog back but the elevation difference is probably around 200-300 feet. I jogged it today but I had to stop and catch my breath about 4 times. How quickly will it get better? Will jogging accelerate my weight loss or is hiking the 4 miles enough? BTW, any new friends would be appreciated!

Replies

• mikmurphy
    mikmurphy Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Sorry I don't know much about jogging. Seems most of the joggers here lose a lot of weight though. Just make sure you stretch beforehand and have some good shoes. Hopefully some of the runners will chime in.
    Sending a friend request :-)
  • KristiRTT
    KristiRTT Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Running will help you lose weight quickly, speaking from experience! I dropped the last 10 lbs as soon as I ramped my mileage up within a month or so. However make sure you have proper shoes and don't over stress your body. Try a run walk technique, and make sure you are running SLOW enough that you can speak in sentences! Anything else is too fast for you body at this stage!! Hope you enjoy it, I have found a love of running and I am currently looking for a full marathon to tackle, I ran my first half marathon last month!!!!
  • dpollet2
    dpollet2 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I suggest a Coach to 5K app. Even if you aren't interested in actually running a race, it helps to increase your endurance. I'm doing the Zombies, Run! 5K training app now, and it really makes it more fun.

I've run a bunch of 5K and 10K races, and 1 half marathon, and the best advice I got was to get good running shoes and learn to run sloooow. As for the running shoes, I went to a store that specialized in running. They did an analysis of my gait and suggested a shoe that works for me. It's not as expensive as most people think either. I spend $100 which is about average for a decent athletic shoe, IMO.

When I first started running I would wear myself out in the first few minutes because I was running way too fast. I ran with a friend of mine who has been running for years, and she pointed this out to me and said I should focus on running longer and slower. This really helped me get past the run-walk-run-walk pattern I was in.
  • carolinesparkle
    carolinesparkle Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I am almost done with C25K and was never a runner before. I would stop at least every minute to catch my breath. It has really helped me and am now running for 28 minutes without stopping. It may also be something that can help? I am not too sure how elevation with affect this, my route does have up and down hill too but I don't think with differences like you have. It has helped me tone up more than lose weight, there is less wobbling happening!
  • BeccaAnderton
    Options
    Just do it, seriously. Just go for it, there's no real technique to starting running. Make sure you've got properly fitted shoes, and if you respond best to training plans try something like couch to 5k, or similar and just head out there and do it :) Good luck! And you're more than welcome to add me if you want some running support! :)
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    First things first.

Get the right shoes.

Secondly~ Youtube "good running form" and watch. Shoes and the form are the very important to prevent injuries. Most injuries are from bad form striking with the heel first when landing is probably the most common and will cause shin splints.

Don't ...REPEAT...don't worry about speed. Just get the miles under your shoes. Start small distance with walking included, and add 10% or so of your previous week to the current. Whatever you think you can do comfortably. The idea is to get your body use to the pounding. I couldn't run a half mile last Christmas because of a joint disease. Now I probably average over 175 miles a month.

Gravel/rocky trail, you want some trail shoes. Thicker soles and will protect your feet from the rough terrain.

Going down hill is hard on the knees, take shorter steps and don't lift your feet to high of ground.

I can't speak for hiking, but on my jog today I burned 1358 calories on a 9.3 run this morning, I am taking it easy as I pulled a hammy while playing baseball a couple weeks ago. I can usually do 13-16 miles each day on the weekends with around 2000-2500 calories burned each day.

Lastly stretch when you are done. Don't stretch before your muscles are warmed up, that is an injury waiting to happen.

Enjoy it!
  • fitnskinnysarah
    fitnskinnysarah Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me as a friend.......I am trying to run also.....we can share stories...I mean progress!!!

My advice is to take it slow.....I tried the Couch to 5 K last year and failed because I injured my legs/muscles/shin splints.

So Now I am losing weight and trying to walk/jog !!
  • Sycoholic
    Sycoholic Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    If it's a dirt trail then you'll want to look at a trail runner. You can use them on pavement too but they're designed with more support and more aggressive tread. I ran in a pair through Army ait... we ran in the rain, up and down grassy hills, and I never fell while a lot of guys frequently did. It makes a difference.

So what brand and model will depend on you. You need to go to a runner's store and get fitted as well as have your gait checked. They'll do this for free and the shoes won't cost you any more than a big chain retailer for the same model. They'll probably have a better return policy too. Plan on spending around $100 for a good pair. It might sound like a lot, as it did to my wife, but after you convince yourself to plunk down that money you'll notice a huge difference in properly fitted $100 shoes and the $60 bargain runners. She's been through countless pairs of $60 shoes and now that she plunked down the money for the good ones she's never looking back.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    I second, third, whatever the c25k program!
  • kellieprindle
    kellieprindle Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for the great advice! I had no idea there were trail shoes, but that is exactly what I need living up here in the mountains. Slowing it down makes a lot of sense and when I tried that this morning I quickly realized I was overdoing it! Now off to get some decent shoes, and maybe I can get rid of the blister that keeps irritating me on my toe!!
  • JoyTH
    JoyTH Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I always find, the run gets better with time. The first 10-20 minutes are always difficult for me! enjoy the scenes while there! No reason to skip life while running! Take deep breaths, relax and enjoy!
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    When you first start out you get better very quickly. If you keep at it 3 or 4 times a week you will probably be able to run the whole thing in several weeks.
  • KLEdgin
    KLEdgin Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I found the best book for getting started was NO NEED FOR SPEED. It was written by a guy who went from couch potatoe to runner. Shoes are number one. Don't buy from a box store. Go to a runner's store in your area and let them fit you for your style of jogging/walking and terrain. Having the right shoes will save you a lot of injury down time.

Good luck and God's speed!
  • MustLoveSammiches
    MustLoveSammiches Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Warm up with a fast paced walk for 5 to 10 minutes rather than stretching before a run. Stretching is best left till after the run when your muscles are warm and less likely to tear. I personally do yoga for runners (found on youtube by yogadownload). Also a lesson I learned the hard way (Germany is quite hilly) when running down hill keep your shoulders back, take smaller steps and slow down to intensify your run and put less impact on your knees.

Good luck, and don't psych yourself out. In no time at all you'll be running that trail like a champ!!