Goal weight

Options
I was just curious how others have picked their goal weights. I do have my mini goals that I am going for, but how about your overall goal? Thanks!!

Replies

• Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Mine is currently based on a weight class for competing jiu jitsu. Once I get there, I will reevaluate.
  • xgirl451
    xgirl451 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    My doctor and I came up with mine.
  • j3an22
    j3an22 Posts: 77
    Options
    I have a long long term weight goal but right now since it the beginning I am not focusing on that.

I am focusing on these goals: 1) get into habits of exercising more. 2) drink more water, less pop and anything carbs. 3) my family been having salad with their meals so more greens.

that what I been doing right now. later it will be more things added to it. they said not to do too much at once so these are the little yet major things that I am doing for now.
  • BreytonJay
    BreytonJay Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Post Boot camp weight :glasses:
  • craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    I simply based my goal on what the common BMI charts have for "normal" and not "overweight" for my height/age.

I'll probably change that up and focus on bf% once I start lifting again.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    I used a random number generator. Then picked a number in the "healthy" BMI range. I don't really have a hard and firm weight goal. I'd like to be in the healthy BMI range simply for the benefits of lower insurance premiums and such, but I'm more concerned with landing at a reasonably healthy weight that is reasonable for me to maintain. If I don't lose the last 10 lbs because I like ice cream, so be it. I'd rather stay where I am and enjoy ice cream than force myself into something I can't maintain, become resentful and backslide to morbidly obese.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I prayed. Seriously.
  • QuietRain
    QuietRain Posts: 157
    Options
    I chose going by the healthy range in BMI.
    Will re-evaluate once I start focusing more on BF% and how I actually look when I drop more weight.
  • jeslaughter
    jeslaughter Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I want to reach my goal of at least 4-8 lbs lost each month...that is the goal for now. Overall, well, I guess when I feel really good about how I look in regular size clothes. I put a number in MFP when I started and I would like to reach that of course but the small goals are what keeps me going each day.
  • talk2elles
    talk2elles Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    My goal weight is how much I weighed for a good number of years (post baby). I wanted something realistically attainable but also healthy. Good luck with your weightloss x
  • jojoboxing
    jojoboxing Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Based on when I looked amazing 8 years ago. I may find I need to lose more but I don't want to get below 200lbs yet.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Good question! I picked a weight that is in the middle of the "normal weight" BMI range for my height, just as a starting point. BMI is useful for measuring populations, but its utility for individuals varies greatly. My target is about 25 lbs. above my lowest adult weight. When I near it, I'll my body fat and musculature, and revise my target accordingly. My real goal is to get down to 12-15% body fat while not looking like a rail; my actual weight is secondary, but much easier to measure accurately.

(Edited: I realized that I originally wrote "below" when I meant "above." Oops!)
  • RockandRoseRebel
    RockandRoseRebel Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I don't really have a single number so much as range that I want to get to and stay inside. I choose it by going to mybodygallery.com and looking at pictures of other women who are the same height as I am to get an idea of what I might look like at different weights and then I chose the weight range that had the most women who were the size I wanted to be. It's still about a 20 lb range though since everyone's body carries weight differently and I haven't been down in that range since the beginning of high school and I was shorter back then, so I don't really know what my ideal weight will look like on me.
  • NJD2885
    NJD2885 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I just picked a number in the healthy weight range on the BMI charts and will reevaluate when I get closer
  • anewlife1980
    anewlife1980 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    My dr said I needed to lose approx 150lbs, that sounded like alot to me so I came home & googled it to see what I should weight based on my height & age. The charts I found said between 140-160lbs. So I set my goal at 150lbs, however I am working towards 100lbs first, when I get there, I will see how I feel & look. If I decide to lose more I will take it 10lbs at a time. My biggest fear is coming out on the other side looking sick/too thin & people thinking I looked better fat then after I lost all the weight. I want to look good & healthy. So if I get to 120lbs gone & like how I look/feel then I will start to maintain, if not I will try a little more.
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    My real goal weight is what I weighed before I got pregnant. At 61 with a daughter almost 21 it's kind of hard to rationalize that it's "BABY" weight.
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    My original plan was to get to 155, then assess whether I wanted to go for 150. Then I found an online "ideal weight" calculator that gave me 152. Since that was right between my first goal and possible second goal, I decided to shoot for that, then maybe stop for a while, focus on body composition, and see what happens.
  • ohmscheeks
    ohmscheeks Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I picked what I weighed in high school *shrugs*
  • ThoseRabbits
    ThoseRabbits Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    i came up with mine cuz i lyke tha number :D
  • gaga4glitter
    gaga4glitter Posts: 129
    Options
    Hi there, I have about 80 lbs I would like to lose but when I put it like that it sounds so overwhelming. So instead, my short term goal is to lose 25 lbs. I figured if I break it down into increments it won't sound so unacheivable haha! Good luck - you can do it!! :)