Do you have to workout EVERYDAY?

Options
Well I mean like, can't you take 1 day off from working out? I didn't work out today (andd I feel quite bad about it) So tomorrow I'm making up for what I missed. 2 hours more in the workout room.

Replies

• thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    There's no rule that states that you need to workout everyday. In fact, I'd say that most people don't.
  • imchicbad
    imchicbad Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    That's stupid. Don't work out 2 hours tomorrow . You have to rest. Body needs recovery time . There's times I work out 3-6 times a week or every other day. You don't have to work out every day.
  • janebshaw
    janebshaw Posts: 168
    Options
    Most people don't work out every day. It is very important to take rest days so your body can heal. Trying to make it up by doing 2 hours tomorrow will probably make you so sore that you will have to skip at least another day to heal.
  • Wizard87
    Wizard87 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I do, but it's because I want to eat more, and I'd rather eat exercise calories than not eat at all. But there are days when it just doesn't fit into my schedule. On those days I'm very careful to make sure I don't eat my limit.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,540 Member
    Options
    Nope. What's more important is to be on consistent calorie deficit everyday to lose weight.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Changing_Charity
    Changing_Charity Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    i lost 20 lbs in the first month with no exercise, after that i started working out 4 days a week for at least an hour. you want to have rest days!
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    I work out 3 days a week or basically 4 hours.

That's it, no time for more.

Whatever you have decided to do for yourself is great.. stick to that and never feel guilty. Life will get in the way and that happens!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Two hours *MORE*??? As in, your usual workout sessions are two hours?

1) No, you don't have to workout every day. In fact, it's probably best if you don't.
    2) If you miss a scheduled workout, you should *NOT* add it to the next workout.
    3) While there are exceptions, very few people should be spending two hours in the gym...(or more accurately, there are very few circumstances where this is appropriate). Get in, get it done, and get out.
  • takumaku
    takumaku Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Yes, for me. I consider my daily walks/jogs before all meals a type of workout.
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    if you kick your *kitten* every workout then no
  • pwittek10
    pwittek10 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    3 times a week
  • slendercurves
    slendercurves Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    It's more important to have a consistent routine over time than to have to do something every day. Don't feel bad. Don't try to make up every missed workout.
  • PhattiPhat
    PhattiPhat Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Why would you feel bad? Rest days are just as important as workout days in a well rounded fitness plan. Personally I find the weeks I take 2 days off in a row I retain less water and drop weight the next day at my weigh-in. Go figure.
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    I schedule myself one rest day per week. Sometimes I still do something, a short run or nice walk, easy bike ride... sometimes I do absolutely nothing beyond my regular work. Just depends on how I feel. Rest is essential to your muscles. That said, you should really have no more than 2 rest days if you're working to actively improve your fitness level.
  • underwater77
    underwater77 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I do, but not for weight loss, but for my mood, my diet, and my sleep patterns. I enjoy my very intense yoga class, I love spin, I have always swam since birth, and i take the doggies on walks. I do a spin > yoga segue 6 days a week, then on the 7th day i walk the dog. I try to swim 3-5 times on top of all that. I am addicted. I have been this way for quite some time now. I love the way I feel all the time, and yoga is the hardest workout I do and brings me the most benefits on ALL levels - not even kidding.

It certainly is not necessary, but it is for me to stay on track. And it feeds my much healthier addiction when compared to wine. :)
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    if you kick your *kitten* every workout then no
    this
  • notworthstalking
    notworthstalking Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I would ideally work out six days a week. Because of work somedays, I am just tired. I am making it a priority to get my strength training in 3 days a week. If I have time ,I love going for walk/run. But if I am unwell I don't make myself.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    I do something active everyday, walking, playing with my girls, etc. But when it comes to actually changing into workout clothes, working hard (whether that is a run, weight-lifting, etc), usually only happens 4 days a week, though some weeks that is 6 days, and some weeks it's only 2. It all depends on my work schedule.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I take 1 or 2 rest days a week, depending on my effort - and whether I need extra rest or not. In fact, today is my rest day! :happy:
  • ThoseRabbits
    ThoseRabbits Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    i have to, otherwize i git anxious