Too much water?

Options
Hello :)
Today I drank about 16 8fl oz glasses of water (two times the amount that you're supposed to drink) and I was wondering, is it bad to drink too much water?

Replies

• nikki91950
    nikki91950 Posts: 647
    Options
    It is possible to drink too much water and you can get very sick from water poisoning. Was water the only thing you drank today? A safe bet for water is to follow this simple rule: think of how many pounds you weigh, cut that in half, and that should equal how many ounces of water you should have a day. :)
  • Sherry1979
    Sherry1979 Posts: 457
    Options
    I always drink a lot of water (150-200 oz a day) and so far I've never had any issues. Of course everyone is different too I know.
  • kcdrake
    kcdrake Posts: 512
    Options
    Yes, it is possible to drink too much water. BUT "too much" water is about a gallon an hour. 8-8oz glasses is the minimum recommendation for how much water you should be drinking. I usually drink ~11 cups so about 88oz, and I could stand to drink more. (My lips still dry out)
    I say the important thing is to listen to your body. If your lips are dry and kind of chapped, you should drink more water. If you worked out, you should drink more water. If you live in a hot environment, you should drink more water. (Ya get my point? :wink:)
  • kintegra
    kintegra Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I usually drink 12-16 (8oz) per day....occasionally more - like today I had 20! If you are thirsty, then drink up! :drinker:

Also 8 (8oz) glasses is the RECOMMENDED amount per day. So having more is great, as long as you don't force it upon yourself.
  • EKarma
    EKarma Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    remember that competition Howard Stern did where everyone drank water and whoever could hold their pee the longest won... lol.. I remember a few years back some lady was thrown in jail because she would make her children drink gallons of water when they got in trouble.. One of her children died of drowning.. It was awful. I can't believe some people.. How stupid can you be to make your child drinnk 3 gallons of water.. I would punch her in the face.
  • Sumatra
    Sumatra Posts: 181
    Options
    I drink a minimum of a gallon or gallon and a half a day (128 - 192) and it's often much closer to two gallons per day and I've never had any kind of problems. Of course I'm 6'1", maybe taller people need more water???
  • AmyW4225
    AmyW4225 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I think it's fine as long as you aren't a kidney failure patient. Just make sure what you're drinking is coming out. :laugh:
  • twingirls05
    Options
    It's fine as long as you aren't consuming it all at one time and drowning yourself. I usually drink 12-16 (8 oz) glasses per day. I'm training for a marathon though, and it's my way to stay hydrated through the week to carry me through those long weekend runs.
  • lizzys
    lizzys Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    water is fine you know the old saying don"t eat the hole cow at once don"t drink the hole pond at once
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    remember that competition Howard Stern did where everyone drank water and whoever could hold their pee the longest won... lol.. I remember a few years back some lady was thrown in jail because she would make her children drink gallons of water when they got in trouble.. One of her children died of drowning.. It was awful. I can't believe some people.. How stupid can you be to make your child drinnk 3 gallons of water.. I would punch her in the face.

Yes, it dilutes the sodium in your body (which sounds great, but it isn't, sodium is much needed) and messes up the electrolytes. It is extremely serious and as you just stated, people can die from it.