My First Half Marathon Recap

Options
KyliAnnHobson
KyliAnnHobson Posts: 551 Member
This was me 2 years ago.

6BjNFQtl.jpg

This is me today.

6uwnUrwl.jpg

I've lost 70+ lbs & discovered a love of running!

I ran my first half marathon today, the Geist Half Marathon, & this is my detailed recap. I'm posting here because I can't for the life of me figure out how to add pics to a blog post!

My day started bright (dark, actually) & early at 3am. I pretty much took naps all day on Friday after getting off work at 2am, so I probably got a decent amount of sleep cumulatively. I felt pretty darn good & ready to run a half marathon! It was an hour & a half drive to the race so we left at 4am to get there at 5:30am, right when packet pick up started. We were one of the first ones there so packet pick up was a breeze. For some reason, they didn't have any small tech shirts, so mine has to be mailed to me. I did get a free t-shirt from last year's 5k race. One can never have too many t-shirts. lol.

After picking up my packet, we went back to the car so I could eat my Luna bar, drink some water, & get my bib pinned on. Then, we decided to go ahead & take the shuttle (school bus) to the start of the race, which was about a mile from the packet pick up & parking area. The race began on a bridge over the water & while it was very overcast, it was still very pretty. The temperature was 64 degrees with 100% humidity & a thunderstorm just missed us.

PcOvfHAl.jpg
Blurry iPhone pic

We had about an hour until the start of the race so we people watched & I made good use of the porta-potty. The time passed quickly & before I knew it, it was time to line up.

hn7dd3Dl.jpg

They had jets fly over in formation after the national anthem, which was pretty cool!

I started between the 1:15 & 1:30 markers & my first mile was a little slower than I would have liked. It was pretty crowded at first but we started to space out a little more after the first mile. My legs felt really good & my breathing felt pretty easy considering the humidity. The course took us around the reservoir so it was very scenic with a lot of bridges over the water & gorgeous million dollar homes. There were a lot of people sitting out along the course cheering us on, playing music, & holding up funny signs. I felt like the race went so quickly!

I had read race recaps that had me very worried about the hills, but they really weren't that bad. The hill at mile 7.5 was much smaller than I envisioned & I didn't have to walk at any point. In fact, I didn't even realize I had already conquered the "big hill" until I looked down at my Garmin & it said 8.10. I thought, "That was the big hill?!?" lol. I was so relieved! I didn't stop for Gatorade until mile 9 & the next 3 stations after that. I didn't really start feeling tired until mile 11 & those last 2 miles were a little rough, but I definitely think I could have picked up the pace sooner than I did. I passed a lot of people in the last 1.1 miles. Now I know for next time! It also started raining at around mile 12 & it felt wonderful!

I finished in 02:07:56, much better than I ever imagined for my first half!

Sprinting to the finish.
LOsEjj2l.jpg

At the finish with my medal.
WBxjEREl.jpg

I was a little disappointed in the finish area. The only thing that was left when I finished was bottled water & soggy cookies. There was supposed to be chocolate milk, fruit, granola bars, etc. I'm not sure what happened, but it was nothing like the website described. There was also supposed to be a local restaurant catering with sandwiches & things but they were nowhere to be found. I'm guessing because of the rain, maybe. It started coming down pretty good right after I finished. We did however find the free beer!

GQRCV2Ul.jpg

The pain was starting to set in at this point, so we finished the beer & headed over to the shuttle that took us back to the parking area. My legs are extremely sore & I'm having a lot of difficulty walking, but it's totally worth it & I will definitely be running another half marathon! :)

PVljabtl.jpg
My pretty medal!

Replies

• ptammyw
    ptammyw Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! What an accomplishment!! You should be so proud :)
  • PatsyFitzpatrick
    PatsyFitzpatrick Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    :drinker: Cheers!! So happy for ya.
  • _steveruns_
    _steveruns_ Posts: 34
    Options
    so so so very very very proud of you!
  • idagaines
    idagaines Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    That is so awesome!!!! Congratulations!!! I hope to one day be able to do the same. I'm just so scared of failing.
  • neetneetneets
    neetneetneets Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    well done on your weight loss. Excited to read your story as in a little over a month I'll be doing my first half marathon too. Congrats :) (and what a great time!)
    If you don't mind me asking, how did you prepare for it? and I've added you as a friend :)
  • Smoothtacular
    Smoothtacular Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Fantastic job!
  • Darrell916
    Darrell916 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    That's awesome way to go
  • KyliAnnHobson
    KyliAnnHobson Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    well done on your weight loss. Excited to read your story as in a little over a month I'll be doing my first half marathon too. Congrats :) (and what a great time!)
    If you don't mind me asking, how did you prepare for it? and I've added you as a friend :)

Thank you! I followed Hal Higdon's Novice 1 training plan. I actually trained for a half marathon back in October of last year, but injured my knee on my last long training run & spent the next 3 months doing physical therapy. This time around I did more cross training & strength training & had no problems.

Good luck with your half marathon! :)
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    You are an inspiration! I'm happy to call you a running buddy! Drive on!
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    You look amazing and did amazing! Very inspiring, thanks for sharing :flowerforyou:
  • Annieminnesota
    Annieminnesota Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    AWWWE!!!! This was such a good story!! You look so happy. WTG Kyli :)
  • marinegirl92
    marinegirl92 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Way to go girl! You look fantabulous beautiful gorgeous and happy! Pom poms waving to celebrate your accomplishments.
  • fitznewme2013
    Options
    WOW! How amazing. I actually felt my chest tightin up and my eyes start to get teary! what a inspiration you are! That is my goal next year to run a half! You should be so proud!
  • msliu7911
    msliu7911 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    This is so inspirational! Great job! You look amazing.

I've only gotten as far as a few 5ks..but my goal is to run half marathons soon!
  • sheri02r
    sheri02r Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Congratulations Kyli!! you truly are an inspiration!! :heart:
  • workaholic_nurse
    workaholic_nurse Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Congrats on your half, running my first one on Thanksgiving! Awesome time!
  • dan323
    dan323 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Great , just Great. You did awesome. I'm very happy for you. You are most defiantly an inspiration to us all. Congratulations. Nice medal by the way.
  • happydaze71
    happydaze71 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Fantastic!!!! I am so pleased for you and I have to say you look AMAZING!!!!! I have 3 half marathons coming up and I cant wait, the furthest I've run is 15km.
    Thank you for sharing your story, very inspirational!
  • tjthegreatone
    tjthegreatone Posts: 324
    Options
    Congrats! I'm jealous of your time.
    I ran my first one in March - zero degrees celsius and muddy terrain. Like you, I found that it was awkward at the beginning with all the crowding and bumping elbows, so I had a slow start. Once everyone spread out my pace improved. I finished in 2:10 and was incredibly disappointed (was hoping for 2:05).
    The next one (probably in autumn) is going to be sub-2 hours (hmm) as a prelude to the big jump (to Marathon :happy:).
  • mizpoke
    mizpoke Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    awesome job! You did good! :flowerforyou: :drinker:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!