Perfect diet?

Options
so let's say - in this purely hypothetical situation - that you were relying ENTIRELY on your diet to help you lose weight, what would that "perfect" diet consist of?
- this means that you cannot take into account exercise or any type of cardio. just pretend you're bedridden and must rely solely on what you eat.
- don't forget to take into consideration the calories as well.

i'm just curious to see what people have to say about this.

Replies

• kaylindeschanel
    kaylindeschanel Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Bumping?
  • dsalveson
    dsalveson Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    My perfect diet is nutrient dense, delicious whole foods: lots of leafy greens and veggies, fish, steak, eggs, chicken, nuts and nut butters, potatoes, quinoa, fruit, tea... I would be totally confident relying on that alone to lose weight and stay healthy because it's the only plan that has truly worked for me and IMO the best diet to follow for weight loss and/or health and longevity :happy:
  • momzeeee
    momzeeee Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I did absolutley no exercise while actively trying to lose weight. And I consider the plan I followed to be the perfect one for me-alternate day intermittent fasting (also known as JUDDD). On my low calorie fasting days I loved the simplicty and the extra energy I got. On my normal calorie days I ate as I wanted-not counting anything and enjoying whatever foods I wanted. I lost 40 pounds with this plan and I only 'dieted' every other day. I also had blood work done, after doing this plan for six months, and everything came back great, including I'm not pre-diabetic anymore.

There's a JUDDD group here on mfp, in case anyone wants more info :)
  • cordianet
    cordianet Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Less calories than I burn and at least .7 grams per pound of lean mass. Everything else is negotiable.
  • squiggyflop
    squiggyflop Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Im confused. What is your definition of perfect? Perfect as in weight comes off every week even when you sleep all day? Perfect as in perfect nutrition where you get every single vitamin you need?

My current "diet" allows me to consistently lose every single week. I eat between 1200-1600 calories a day. I have never not lost weight in a week so far. In total ive lost 19lbs (the ticker is wrong because I logged my weight wrong the first day and tried to fix it but only screwed it up more) in around 60 days. Now if I was bed ridden, I would have still lost weight, just not so rapidly. Any time you eat under the calories used, you will lose weight. Do I get all my vitamins from my diet? No. Its very difficult to eat so little and still get a full days supply of everything your body wants. I do get a lot of vitamins from my smoothies though.

Typical day:
    Smoothie (frozen strawberries, frozen blueberries, a banana, a cup of plain nonfat greek yogurt, water, spinach, and some splenda) 250-260 calories.

Slice of pizza, chicken and mashed potatoes, soup, or pretty much anything including chocolate that fits into the 250-500 calorie range at lunch time.

For dinner I will really eat a big meal. I prefer for most of my calories to be eaten at night. If I go to bed hungry, im gonna have a problem the next day. So chicken and pasta. Pasta alfredo. Hamburgers...... pretty much anything that fits into the 500 to 1000 calorie range. How many calories I eat at dinner depends on a few factors. The first is how many calories I ate during the day. The second is how hungry I am. The third is whether im having dessert..

For dessert, if I have calories left over, I will have some no sugar added ice cream sandwiches. They are generally 100 calories.
  • volume77
    volume77 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Food
  • DrVeggie
    DrVeggie Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Low Kcal vegan diet is the way to go. 1200 kcals, mostly veggies. Make soups if you get hungry, with vegan "soup"!
    Check out my food lists. I don't know how much I lost yet because I refuse to get on a scale but I went from a size 12 pants to a size 8.
  • shalysewrightbethea
    shalysewrightbethea Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    My perfect diet is nutrient dense, delicious whole foods: lots of leafy greens and veggies, fish, steak, eggs, chicken, nuts and nut butters, potatoes, quinoa, fruit, tea... I would be totally confident relying on that alone to lose weight and stay healthy because it's the only plan that has truly worked for me and IMO the best diet to follow for weight loss and/or health and longevity :happy:

love
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    If I were bedridden, my focus would be more on protein than any of the other macros.
    Plenty of lean chicken and fish, along with hard boiled eggs, greek yoghurt, vegetables, fruits and nuts.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,688 Member
    Options
    Just eat at or below your TDEE and you have the perfect diet. What you are doing sounds reasonable. You could do the paleo diet, the zone diet, a low fat diet, someone's definition of "clean eating" or become a vegan and as long as you have a reasonable deficit you have a "perfect" diet. I lost my last ten pounds while spending most of my time not moving much. I did try to eat a reasonable amount of protein, but not as much as is recommended for people who weight train. I lost fat, and inches, and probably some muscle mass too from lack of movement. You could also eat six to eight meals a day or practice IF. It all works.

Keep it simple and do what fits for you.