Recently moved to a higher altitude

Options
Hello everyone,

I recently moved from Texas to Colorado. From 505 ft to 5,869 ft. I am experiencing an increase in hunger, I am not sure if it could be the elevation change, or if I should allow myself to eat more. I would love any advice or opinions relating to this!

Thanks,
Katherine

Replies

• louloulou
    louloulou Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    when I moved to the mountains, I found I had to drink WAY more water as you dry out so much at higher altitudes. Could your body be mistaking thrust for hunger?
  • bishopkat
    bishopkat Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    That is very possible. I have never been good on my water intake. Addicted to Soda. But I will give drinking more water a shot and see if it fixes the hunger.

It's kinda like a twisting feeling high in my abdomen. Like when you haven't had anything to eat for a long time.
  • Vune
    Vune Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    It also might be the stress of moving. I hope you like CO more than I did! I spent 9 years out there, and recently escaped.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    it's water.. I moved from sea level to 6000 feet. I have had double my water intake. which means i drink over a gallon of water a day. Drink water.
    Did I mention drink more water??? Ah thanks.. I'll go get myself another glass too :~)

Also.. how recently??? Could it be altitude sickness??? I got nosebleeds, dizzy spells, headaches for like 6 months. and walking up stairs sucked until almost a year after I got here!!
  • bishopkat
    Options
    I arrived in the Denver area on May 4th. I am having headaches, and finding blood in my nose, so I know I am having some altitude sickness. I just didn't know if it could affect metabolism. I have a high metabolism, the last doctor I saw suggested eating 5-6 times a day with only one or two of those being a regular sized meal.

I will start drinking more water, and hopefully that helps.

Oh and we live on the third floor of an apartment....stairs are the bane of my existence right now....
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Actually because of the thinner air.. your body has to work harder to provide the basic functions required for life, such as breathing. so if it did anything it would increase your metabolism. I've been here a year and a half, it does get better.. but if you don't get enough water, you'll get a headache. And cramps when exercising! I never got those at sea level. Now I get them if I don't get in enough water before I exercise. it's a PITA!

and yes. I live on the second floor of a walk up, but there are stairs to get to the first floor too. So it's still 2 long flights.. lol.. I hated those stairs for a long long time. LOL

PS.. if you continue to drink soda.. you'll need even more water to flush out the salt from it.. just food for thought there..
  • bishopkat
    Options
    Okay, so drink more WATER, and cut out the sodas, and unnecessary sodium... got it!
  • tlblood
    tlblood Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    when I moved to the mountains, I found I had to drink WAY more water as you dry out so much at higher altitudes. Could your body be mistaking thrust for hunger?

This! The thirst and hunger signals to the brain are so similar that many/most people mistake thirst for hunger, so I think that's the more likely cause.

And welcome to Colorado! I've lived here since 1984.
  • bishopkat
    Options
    Thanks for the Welcome! I forgot that thirst and hunger could be so easily confused.
  • amandapye78
    amandapye78 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I moved here from TX too...Welcome to Colorful Colorado. Moving to Colorado is when I started packing on the weight not sure why.
  • Lynn_babcock
    Lynn_babcock Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I'm in Wyoming at an elevation of 7,200 feet. I get that feeling too but not anymore here then I do when I'm visiting family in Florida at near sea level. An orange always does the trick for me. Definitely need to drink more water up here. Maybe you do need a few higher calorie food days. A lot of people believe that changing your calorie intake encourages your body not to hold on to weight (as if you were starving).
  • SJ46
    SJ46 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Your body should adjust to the altitude fairly quickly, just stay hydrated as others have mentioned. Welcome to CO!
  • mikey1976
    mikey1976 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    i've lived up in the mountain here in bc canada for almost 19 years come october. my ears still pop almost every time i go higher kinda funny but annoying. you will get use to it in time. ps i was born and raised in the flat lands of alberta it a mega difference
  • krisntraining
    krisntraining Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    This happened to me too! Still trying to get back in to TX shape 4 years later! Grrrrrr...