How can I lose weight around my middle?

Options
I well overweight and I'm a size 20 but people don't believe me when I say I'm that size because my arms, face and legs arnt that big. My problem is its all around my middle (what they don't know is that its not my coat that makes me look like I've swallowed an exercise ball, its still there when I'm naked =[ =[ ) I would love to know what types of exercises help reduce the amount of weight around my middle. Im having problems now with very high blood pressure and leaky kidneys, any advice will be greatly appreciated thank you xx

Replies

• fitnessprincess16
    Options
    You will get the same answers on here. You CANT spot reduce fat. you have to do it altogether.
  • miss_yell
    miss_yell Posts: 3
    Options
    The same answers here as where else? There must be some exercises that are specifically designed to work the middle.
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    There are exercises you can do to strengthen your core, yes, but those won't help you reduce body fat in that particular area. You cannot spot-reduce body fat (i.e. pick and chose where it comes off). The places it comes off first and last is determined by genes, there's really nothing you can do but continue to eat at a deficit to reduce overall fat. Eventually if will come off trouble spots too :)
  • mad4beinhere
    mad4beinhere Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Good eating habits, cut back on processed foods and eat lean meats and veggies. no other way. No quick fixes just time and commitment.
  • txchik
    txchik Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I would assume focus on core strengthening exercises. That's my trouble spot too I have really toned lower half and skinny arms, but round in the middle. It sucks but I'm doing all the exercises.
  • miss_yell
    miss_yell Posts: 3
    Options
    Thanks ladies, some amazing weight losses BTW well done!! I'm starting my healthy eating plan on Monday when I get rid of the last of the junk food lol x
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    I well overweight and I'm a size 20 but people don't believe me when I say I'm that size because my arms, face and legs arnt that big. My problem is its all around my middle (what they don't know is that its not my coat that makes me look like I've swallowed an exercise ball, its still there when I'm naked =[ =[ ) I would love to know what types of exercises help reduce the amount of weight around my middle. Im having problems now with very high blood pressure and leaky kidneys, any advice will be greatly appreciated thank you xx

This is my problem, too. The before and after photos on MFP for people who did the 30 day shred show a big reduction in middle of the body bulge.
  • AmandaReimer1
    AmandaReimer1 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    While you can't spit reduce, weight lifting can help tone and strengthen. Exercises like 30 day shred do help lose inches around the middle (do a search...there's tons of before and afters here).
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    As others have said you can't spot reduce.

I will suggest adding heavy lifting to your workouts. A program like stronglifts 5x5. This will help you become leaner, lose inches, and become stronger. Lifting also helps you to lower your overall body fat %.
  • ernestbecker
    ernestbecker Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    it's lose or gain every where. No spot reducing. But don't let that stop you as it's that way for all of us. Just go for it. Eat foods in their natural state, don't eat more than you need, and walk, walk, walk. You'll see results if you do.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,667 Member
    Options
    The same answers here as where else? There must be some exercises that are specifically designed to work the middle.
    There exercises that "work" the middle, but NO EXERCISES that specifically reduce the middle.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Armyantzzz
    Armyantzzz Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Just keep exercising... the middle (abdomen) tends to be the most stubborn (or last place to lose weight) , normally we lose weight in the reverse order that we gain it.. face first, then upper body, then abdomen area. Ever notice people notice your face first when you're losing weigh? It normally starts with " There's something different about you, are you losing weight?" All in all you are losing weight proportionately and evenly whether you realize it or not. Don't give up the ship... it also takes longer to lose weight then it did to gain it! Such is .... weight:smile::wink:
  • demilade
    demilade Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Annoying isn't it? Lol, I'd love my belly and thighs to shrink as fast as my arms and boobs, but it's not happening. Just be as healthy as you can, move your body and change will happen..