Feeling guilty

Options
I have been trying to workout 7 days a week and I know I need a day of rest but it makes me feel guilty. I think I am afraid I am going to get out of the habitt of going to the gym. I know I need to let my body rest I just feel guilty. I also on top of that feel guilty if I go over my calorie intake on the day I do not go to the gym. Des anyone else feel this way or have any advice???

Replies

• Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    Don't feel guilty.
  • UsernameStillLoading
    UsernameStillLoading Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    It's more common than you think.
    If you are working out effectively, that (or those) rest day(s) are not things you should feel guilty about. Your body will burn the calories regardless. The reason they are rest days is because they let your body heal from the workout (i.e. if you strength train, a rest day lets your muscles recover).
    As for calorie intakes, sometimes it's necessary to go over. Some days your body just needs more calories.
    I don't have advice...more of a suggestion. Try giving yourself that rest day (even if you do feel guilty). Try to do it for a month. If you don't notice the difference that rest day makes, then maybe you don't need it. Some people can work out every day of their lives and they only need a rest day once a month. It's based on what your body can handle, and how much your body needs off to recover.
  • ninjakowski
    ninjakowski Posts: 158
    Options
    Take a rest day from strenuous exercise or you will burn yourself out. On your rest day you could take a long walk or do some yoga, so you still feel like you're doing something, but let your body take a break.

I've been where you are, it's not sustainable long term.
  • gel91
    gel91 Posts: 309
    Options
    Hey, almost no one works out 7 days a week you can't do that for the rest of your life!
    Have a day or 2 off every week, or every other week, before you end up burning yourself out because that's when problems will arise.
    & don't feel guilty about going over, we all do occasionally. It's just the way it is!!
  • Ninguneado73
    Ninguneado73 Posts: 832
    Options
    You won't feel guilty if you thought/knew about the benefits of resting. It's difficult, I know, today is my rest day and I feel guilty lol!
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I'm the same only it's not guilt that stops me from ever having a rest day. It's the fact I know that if I took today off then I'd make an excuse not to do it tomorrow and then the day after that.

I break a habit as fast as I make one.

In 466 days I've never had a rest day...... never. And as for burning out..... not yet. It's been close to 19 months & I'm actually going better now than when I started.
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    3 efficient workouts are way better than 7 mediocre ones.

Over eating on your rest day?

Nice!

Then you can return to the gym and smash it.

As long as you're still meeting your deficit for the week you'll still lose.
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    you should feel guilty for not resting
  • 1hottwoman
    1hottwoman Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone I know I should rest and I hate feeling guilty about it. I am bound and determined to loose this weight and Woking out makes me feel so much better about myself. I may not be the big runner or heavy lifter but I am working out and I will get there I hope
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    3 efficient workouts are way better than 7 mediocre ones.

Over eating on your rest day?

Nice!

Then you can return to the gym and smash it.

As long as you're still meeting your deficit for the week you'll still lose.

This....

Also, rest days are very important...that's when your muscles actually get the benefit of your workout. It's going to be way worse if you continue to punish your body like that and get injured...then you'll definitely be missing some gym time.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Guilt is not something you should be feeling about working out and eating. You need rest days, period. On those rest days do some active but leisurely. You'll have more energy to get real workouts in and you'll hit your goals faster.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone I know I should rest and I hate feeling guilty about it. I am bound and determined to loose this weight and Woking out makes me feel so much better about myself. I may not be the big runner or heavy lifter but I am working out and I will get there I hope

more is not better and doesn't mean you'll reach your goals faster. This is a marathon, if you burn out then what?
  • JaimeCST
    JaimeCST Posts: 118
    Options
    I felt the same way too but then I realized that I felt better after I got some rest. I still worked in the yard and mowed the lawn but I didn't push myself too hard and I felt much better today on the days when I did work out. Good luck!